BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First, i just wanted to mention how completely helpful and informative this board has been for me in my search to become a new bmw M6 owner. This page and community really is the best. So i just wanted to thank the entire board, especially gustav and the moderators, for having me. :byee55amg

Before posting this, I spent a good amount of time reading through all the other various post regarding the issue of individual color availability here in the United States. A few posts here and there have alluded to the possibility of getting an individual color here in the states.... and i was hoping that some of you could help me tie a few loose ends up in this regard.

1) In an article on http://www.bmwm5.com/articles.php?id=29, it was posted that:
"BMWIndividual should also be available for North American customers, and the only problem is that some of the US-ordering process is not made for BMW Individual, but a manual order through a level higher than hte dealer would make it possible to get individual products in the USA. It seems that BMW M / BMW Individual is in talks with BMW North America to streamlime the ordering process as well as inform the consumers more about individual in the USA."

does anyone know if there is any truth to this, and if so, where/whom would i go to to place such an order?

2) On http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79444&highlight=individual+AG+direct, Riaz says:

The only way to order individual as far as I know in the US is directly through BMW AG i.e. the factory and not through any dealership. I know that they will not process any exceptions that would upset BMW NA or seem like a way for people to cut corners- so for example people under the military sales program do not qualify. Factory orders can be placed if you qualify for their direct sales programs -which certain people do-you can go to BMW.com's international site and look under diplomatic and corporate sales.

has anyone tried contacting BMW AG to see the breadth of this program? Riaz (or anyone else) would you be so kind as to provide me with a contact number for BMW AG, to further inquire on the subject?

3) Others have noted that it might be worthwhile to cross the Canadian border and purchase an individualized M6 there. What would be the added expenses of doing so? (i.e tariffs, duties, meeting emissions standards etc etc). And while i'm on this topic, would bmw's warranty of the canadian M6 apply here in the states?

4) Does anyone have any further insight/advice on who to speak to or how to go about the issue of obtaining an individualized M6 in the states?

I apologize in advance to the moderators for the possible redundancy of this post. I hope that this post will provide a centralized thread to address what i know has been a pervasive concern within the community. Again, thank you all for this great resource and community.:M5thumbs:

·
Registered
392 Posts
IMHO trying to circumvent BMW North America (i.e. your options #2 and 3) is just asking for trouble in the future. The M6 is a complex car with a high degree of systems integration, so it could be a nightmare to have an orphan vehicle (if it was even possible).

Your best bet might be to go for a European Delivery. There is no discount as with lesser BMWs, but the program should be attractive for your local dealer because even though they generally make less on an ED car, it does not come out of their M6 allocation (and judging from the reported premiums, it seems that dealers in CA are relatively short on allocation).

With your dealer on your side, it is possible to persuade BMW NA to make exceptions, or at least it was in '98 when I did ED on a 540i sport. At that time Xenon headlights were not available on North American cars, but with sufficient advance notice they were willing to add this European option to my US-spec vehicle. One would imagine that trim options will pose fewer regulatory complications than different headlights.

It's important to do your homework before talking to the dealer about this. Not unreasonably, the dealer and BMW NA do not want to devote any effort to educating a customer in how to chose options that aren't available in this market. Get our your German/English dictionary, go to the BMW Deutschland website and study the pricelist (which lists the options and their cost in euro) and the Individual brochure. Then when you talk to your dealer, show him that you know how to configure the US spec car that you want, and tell him that you will place an ED order provided that he can get you the particular Individual configuration that you want. Keep it simple, demonstrate that you know what you're doing and avoid any other questions, distractions or conditions.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
I don't mean to discourage you, but I tried ordering an Individual M6 through the back door too. I bought my M6 through the military/diplomatic sales program here in Germany and was shutdown at every corner. I received quite a bit of a discount, so they may have been less inclined to have some flexibility. I also could have purchased a European Specification car, but it just wasn't cost effective (even knocking off the 16% VAT).

There was a rumor that BMW would offer the Individual program to North America this year, but it just didn't happen. Maybe next year!!!

Best of luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ColdWater said:
Your best bet might be to go for a European Delivery.
Coldwater: I will definitely look into your suggestion. For some reason however, I was under the impression that even through European Delivery my M6 would still have to conform to US specs, including the US limitations on interior and exterior colors. Was I misinformed?

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
..you were not mis-informed, there is no possibility of getting an Individual in the US at this time or any time in the forseeable future...only last month i was dinning with a senior mgr of BMW NA who reports directly to the head of BMW NA marketing, i had a lenghty discussion on this topic specifically, and BMW NA is not moving on their position that somehow Individual will cause a negative impact on the secondary market and drive down the residuals...they feel this blindly imho, but surely it is a well known and discussed topic within BMW NA execs, i just dont see it happening unless you really are connected and can get around BMW NA, which would then lead you to the warranty issue, many may not be aware of this fact, but BMW AG only warranties the cars for 12months, it is BMW NA that offers the 4yr/50K coverage, so any measures to try to go to Canada for example would just eliminate your full coverage which is not feasable as an option with these cars, there just isnt any way around this

:crying:

·
Registered
392 Posts
For some reason however, I was under the impression that even through European Delivery my M6 would still have to conform to US specs, including the US limitations on interior and exterior colors. Was I misinformed?
You are absolutely correct that ED vehicles must be US spec, since the objective from the beginning is to export. But you are confusing US regulatory requirements (e.g. safety and emission regulations) with BMW corporate policies.

All you are seeking to do is to customize exterior and interior colors and trim, which surely has no regulatory consequences. You simply want BMW to relax slightly its policies.

Almost certainly it was the decision of BMW North America not to offer Individual. They knew that they could sell as many M6s as can be made without putting themselves and their dealers through the inconvenience. This is more or less the same reason why US cars are heavily spec-ed and offer few options. As time goes by and the dealer premiums dissipate, they might be more open to negotiation in special cases.

RussRamz offers good insight into why this was not possible under a military/diplomatic program. These are almost like taxi fleet sales, and customization is unwelcome. He had no advocate at BMW NA or in the US dealer network.

All I'm suggesting is how to maximize your chances for success. Get your dealer on your side, and keep it simple. Do your homework so that the only thing standing in the way of a 5-minute sale is to persuade BMW NA to permit a color/trim code change that they already do for other parts of the world. Take ED so that the dealer isn't losing part of his allocation for the hassle, and so that the dealer needs to coordinate with BMW NA anyway. This is what worked for me in '98.

Edit - m630 makes a very good observation, that it is in the interest of BMW NA to keep US cars relatively consistent in order to support residual values on their leasing book. This really makes sense, and it's an insight that never before occurred to me.

I don't disagree with him and others telling you how difficult this will be, and from the beginning I recommended against trying to circumvent BMW NA. But m630 highlights how the restriction is corporate policy. Any policy in any corporation is potentially open to flexibility in certain individual cases (pun intended). You just need to be clever about maximizing your chances. Of course, someone at BMW NA will now probably read this post and circulate a memo . . .

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
ColdWater said:
Your best bet might be to go for a European Delivery. There is no discount as with lesser BMWs, but the program should be attractive for your local dealer because even though they generally make less on an ED car, it does not come out of their M6 allocation (and judging from the reported premiums, it seems that dealers in CA are relatively short on allocation).
I thought European Delivery M cars do come out of the dealer allocation, but other models do not.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
Member Riaz has the only individual E60 in the US on this forum that I know of. A thread from the E60 forum that may give you some info has something like "federalizing a BMW" in the title (sorry, can't copy the shortcut from my computer).
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Clyde said:
I thought European Delivery M cars do come out of the dealer allocation, but other models do not.
This seems to be a matter for negotiation. After waiting nearly a year, my M6 was scheduled for production at a time that I could get away for vacation, so I asked the dealer to let me take delivery in Munich. His response was that if I'd asked for ED earlier the car would have come from a general BMW NA allocation pool, but if we switched at this late date it would come out of his allocation and in fact reduce the tally of cars going into his market (this possibly reducing future allocation). I presumed from this that an ED order well in advance would not reduce the dealer's own allocation.

I'm not ambitious enough to research the thread mentioned by bmwbonehead, but I'll bet that a few non-US citizens have imported non-US-spec cars for temporary use here.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Here's my theory on why BMW NA does not want to allow Individual cars in this market:

US law requires that manufacturers have repair and replacement parts available for X number of years. (I forget what X is, but it might be either 10 or 20)

I've watched the parts lists for older cars (e24 & e32), I've noticed that the Individual parts (special leather colors, special accessories, etc.) tend to be listed as "Ended" while the normal colors are still available.

Perhaps their reasoning is due to the added cost of maintaining an inventory of the replacement parts. I just can't believe it has anything to do with difficulty of actual production. After all, the factory for Z4s (in South Carolina) produces Individual cars for other markets.

I have no actual knowledge to back up this line of reasoning. Just my speculation.

:dunno:

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I like the current short M6 option list. BMW could easily handle a very extensive option list, as they do with Mini. All those options will drive up the price.

The M6 and 911 Turbo are similar in price and serve the same market. Porsche has made options into a profit center, allowing buyers to add over $40k in options to a Turbo. Any exterior or interior color can be ordered, including custom matched. Body color seat backs, carbon fiber console, leather headliner, silver door sills -- Porsche allows buyers to mix and match. The Turbo is a top of the line model, but every little thing costs extra.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Beats me why its available here in Canada and not in the US. Not worthile to import a Canadina car for warranty reasons and also Canadian cars are instrumented in Metric. They also have daytime running lights and a few other differences.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
The Individual program is not offered here for marketing reasons. Consider MB's 'designo' program -- yes, they're pre-configured (perhaps for similar lease residual calcs as mentioned). Until the absence of Individual impacts NA sales, we won't see it. Unfortunately, it's as simple as that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
maybe a letter to BMWNA is in order

if BMWNA's rationale behind making the Individual Program unavailable to us here in the US is that leased Individual cars will not have have the same re-sale values....then the solution should be simple:

to make the Individual Program unavailable for leased cars. (as opposed to making the individual program unavailable for both purchases ane leases).

the solution should fit the problem. I don't understand why BMWNA would choose such an overly-broad solution that denies the purchase community access to a program the rest of the world freely enjoys.

Wayward: has there been any talk of perhaps writing a group letter to BMWNA regarding enthusiast dissatisfaction with the lack of the individual program here in the states? maybe something similar to the letter written about the Launch Control issue.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
esquire said:
if BMWNA's rationale behind making the Individual Program unavailable to us here in the US is that leased Individual cars will not have have the same re-sale values....then the solution should be simple:

to make the Individual Program unavailable for leased cars. (as opposed to making the individual program unavailable for both purchases ane leases).
I don't think they would not offer a leased individual program but rather structure the lease with much lower lease residuals to protect BMW at the end of the term. GM does not really want to lease Z06's so they put the residual in the low 40's (I think) which pretty much takes care of that financial option.

I guess with the Canadian market being quite small by comparison to the US, BMW Canada has not seen a negative impact on the Individual program.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
esquire said:

the solution should fit the problem. I don't understand why BMWNA would choose such an overly-broad solution that denies the purchase community access to a program the rest of the world freely enjoys.

Wayward: has there been any talk of perhaps writing a group letter to BMWNA regarding enthusiast dissatisfaction with the lack of the individual program here in the states? maybe something similar to the letter written about the Launch Control issue.
i had inquired about the same topics many times, if you search you will find a big thread on the M5 board where I had posted some emails back from BMW NA on them not allowing Individual in the US..also, as I had wrote above, I did sit at a lenghty dinner last month with a senior exec at BMW NA who reports directly to the Head of Marketing for NA and I argued the purchase vs. lease points as well....in their mind it is inconsequential as to whether you lease or buy, they have strong feelings that the resids would be negatively impacted and are completely against offering it here...there is also the point of the laws in the US about backing out of purchases that must be contemplated, unlike most of the world, we can go in to BMW, pick all the nice things we want, leave a tiny if any deposit and then the car is built, but we can decided in the interim to just walk away with little or no financial impact while the dealers could be stuck with an undesirable color combo...i can only assume that in the past they have piloted the program and had such negative outcomes as to make them so broadly restrict the offerings here...all i care is that they get their act together in the next 3 years when i'll be looking for my next 6er, hopefully an Individual ??????

·
Registered
435 Posts
This is something I would try to do as the only thing I want is to get the car in Azurit Black. Everything else to be standard US options/colors. Wish there was something else close to carbon or that color..

·
Registered
435 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
esquire said:
First, i just wanted to mention how completely helpful and informative this board has been for me in my search to become a new bmw M6 owner. This page and community really is the best. So i just wanted to thank the entire board, especially gustav and the moderators, for having me. :byee55amg

Before posting this, I spent a good amount of time reading through all the other various post regarding the issue of individual color availability here in the United States. A few posts here and there have alluded to the possibility of getting an individual color here in the states.... and i was hoping that some of you could help me tie a few loose ends up in this regard.

1) In an article on http://www.bmwm5.com/articles.php?id=29, it was posted that:

does anyone know if there is any truth to this, and if so, where/whom would i go to to place such an order?

2) On http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79444&highlight=individual+AG+direct, Riaz says:

has anyone tried contacting BMW AG to see the breadth of this program? Riaz (or anyone else) would you be so kind as to provide me with a contact number for BMW AG, to further inquire on the subject?

3) Others have noted that it might be worthwhile to cross the Canadian border and purchase an individualized M6 there. What would be the added expenses of doing so? (i.e tariffs, duties, meeting emissions standards etc etc). And while i'm on this topic, would bmw's warranty of the canadian M6 apply here in the states?

4) Does anyone have any further insight/advice on who to speak to or how to go about the issue of obtaining an individualized M6 in the states?

I apologize in advance to the moderators for the possible redundancy of this post. I hope that this post will provide a centralized thread to address what i know has been a pervasive concern within the community. Again, thank you all for this great resource and community.:M5thumbs:
i just sent you a pm

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
In the interest of sobriety, currently it is known only that BNW NA will offer the Individual program only for 7 series at this time.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts