BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning light for Increased Emissions came on while driving today. Recently had a muffler delete done approx. 100 miles ago. Would this have something to do with it?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
A cat efficiency code or a rich/lean condition kind of code will only come back when the DME runs the particular test and fails it. To run the test you have to meet very particular driving conditions. For example 60 mph for 2 min coasting on a highway. So, it is only a matter of time. However, I do have to say that sometimes these codes to do not come back because whatever test triggers the CEL, may be a hit or miss pass/fail condition. You will have to monitor this for a while before you can be really conclusive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got the code reset for now. The scan showed "P0128 Coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp".

If I do not get it fixed right now, does it lead to other problems in the future?

Just want to make sure I don't get a bigger bill later on...

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes. It takes a bit of driving (from cold start) as the thermostat diagnostics call it a fail after a warm up delay and a bunch of other conditions. When I had the issue, it was like clockwork. 5 mi down the road it came back. First sporadically then every time. I would not fret on this and simply replace it or get it replaced. This this the easy one on this car! If you can't handle the cost and time to repair this you have something else coming for you down the road that my cast a shadow on this one LOL!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ha ha .... true! These cars are expensive to maintain. Mine only has 51k miles on it, so hopefully nothing major anytime soon (fingers crossed).

I'm getting it fixed this week. The light is back on after 2 days of resetting the code.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts