BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after many years of ownerswhip and 81K trouble free miles my M5 has decided it is time for that to end.

I had driven about 5 miles after start up and stopped at a red light, got the increased emissions warning. There was not a reduced power message and RPM red line was normal. Car drove fine, no strange sounds or rough engine idel. I drove the remaining 40 miles to work with the light on with zero adverse affects. So I am thinking it really cannot be that major of an issue given the car still runs fine. I have not had the codes pulled yet but will. I did a search and it seems most people have gotten the decreased power along with the increased emissions warning. I am curious if any one has only had the increased emissions warning combined with zero drivability issue, and if so what was the solution?

Thanks for any advise

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It could be anything, mine was my throttle actuators. It could be Vanos, 02 Sensor, MAF. Pull the codes, your wasting your time otherwise.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It could be anything, mine was my throttle actuators. It could be Vanos, 02 Sensor, MAF. Pull the codes, your wasting your time otherwise.
I agree but if it was throttle actuators it would have thrown a reduced power message.

OP, like said above its a crapshoot without reading faults but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it was your thermostat. Especially with the cold front that moved in yesterday. Mine went out a year ago around this time when cold front came in. Did the same thing and only said increased emissions but I scanned it when I got home and tracked it to a faulty thermostat that was sticking open.

Reactions: 1hotm5

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
When my actuators first went it threw the increased emissions code, but then finally got worse to the reduced power.

Now they have gone again and it doesnt throw the reduced power message but it doesnt want to rev. Get all the DSC, Assist start blah blah codes too. But its hit and miss, warm engine it happens more often. Cold engine like in the morning, it very rarely happens.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Mine threw the same message and drove fine for over a month until it started to show the reduce power message and then had the throttle actuators replaced.

At this point without pulling the codes it could be anything or it could be an early warning sign of things to come ;)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
to be honest, "increased emissions" is the least of my worries with this car. I've had mine go on/off for a while now but yes, it could be anything without pulling codes.

Dan

·
Registered
50 Posts
Word of friendly advice. If you find that one of the two banks is bad, replace both. I had to replace the second bank a few months after changing out the first bank. Whether it is your own time, or you are paying for labor, it's a good idea to swap both while you are there.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Word of friendly advice. If you find that one of the two banks is bad, replace both. I had to replace the second bank a few months after changing out the first bank. Whether it is your own time, or you are paying for labor, it's a good idea to swap both while you are there.

Good luck!
Totally agree here, same happened. The dealer I bought the car from cheaped out and only replaced one as it was causing the problem. Other ectuator had a CAN BUS error but wasnt throwing codes. 1 week later it went and the car went back to the shop. Lucky for me I wasnt paying the bill.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree but if it was throttle actuators it would have thrown a reduced power message.

OP, like said above its a crapshoot without reading faults but honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it was your thermostat. Especially with the cold front that moved in yesterday. Mine went out a year ago around this time when cold front came in. Did the same thing and only said increased emissions but I scanned it when I got home and tracked it to a faulty thermostat that was sticking open.
You nailed it! p0128 code, thermostat. Thanks for all the responses guys! Now to find the TIS instructions for changing one on the M5. So glad it was nothing more. Noticed on the way home the oil temp gauge was about 1/8 inch from the 210 mark after an hour of driving, seems to be stuck slightly open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts