BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a similar message before and I believe a coil of mine went out, power is down and shaking a little...

I figure it’s time to replace all the coil packs....does anybody know if e60 545 and 550 coils are the same size and style, seem identical online...?

·
Registered
172 Posts
no , they are not the same and def online they don't look the same either, best buy OEM , or try Chinese ones as a member on this board @sunilshivaram had luck with them, do not recommend Bremi`s though . There are couple of threads on here about coils, check them out

·
Registered
267 Posts
I would be hesitant to get them directly from China, i used a local US supplier, and they appeared to be same as Original ones:

I haven't had any issues with these, no misfires, or failures. The coils should say they are meant for the V10.

My complete analysis:

The critical factor in my decision: The new ones weighed the same as old Genuine BMW ones. If it looks like gold and weighs as much as gold, just steal it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Better yet if you want to throw money at your car spend in diagnosing the issue rather than replacing parts at random. Your plan is exactly why our cars have the rep they have.
flaco, I appreciate your help but I’ve needed to replace the coils for a while now...spark plug interval is due too so Midas well...this problem I have now is similar to a bad coil I had before but could be totally different, I know I need to scan the car specifically to narrow it down...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be hesitant to get them directly from China, i used a local US supplier, and they appeared to be same as Original ones:

I haven't had any issues with these, no misfires, or failures. The coils should say they are meant for the V10.

My complete analysis:

The critical factor in my decision: The new ones weighed the same as old Genuine BMW ones. If it looks like gold and weighs as much as gold, just steal it.
Thanks Sun, those look pretty spot on I’ll check them out

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
530 Posts
Even the lowest priced coils at rock auto are 55/bucks a pop. Something aint right, especially when they wont tell you who the manufacture is.

·
Registered
267 Posts
My theory is this : they are all made in china, or some manufacturing plant out there. BMW doesn't have a dedicated contract with them anymore for a car from 15 years back.

Some coils get stolen, sold on ebay; some are stamped as BMW and sold at dealers; some are stamped as Bremi ; and some are OEM quality sold on ebay. End of the day, these all came from the same manufacturing line.

Get one of each, and check their weight -- will be all the same. The weight immediately gives a bearing on their composition and whats used in making them.

I did this experiment and am convinced lol.

·
Registered
2009 BMW E63 M6, Sapphire Black
530 Posts
ya - that's what I tell people who shop at our store when they see a pair of expensive sunglasses on ebay for cheap - either fake, or stolen. I've seen some pretty good knock-offs. but they were still junk. junk on your face, junk in your car. take your choice!

Reactions: sunilshivaram

·
Registered
267 Posts
ya - that's what I tell people who shop at our store when they see a pair of expensive sunglasses on ebay for cheap - either fake, or stolen. I've seen some pretty good knock-offs. but they were still junk. junk on your face, junk in your car. take your choice!
Thats a fairly interesting comparison ! I've seen pictures of some people wearing expensive sun glasses, and guess what, they didn't have money for their underwears also !

·
Registered
456 Posts
I used a couple O'reillys brand ("import direct" was the brand on the box I believe) coils on the car for some time with no issues. I was doing plugs and broke a few coils trying to get them out. I didn't want to pay dealership prices, and I didn't want to wait a week to receive the coils from FCP to get the car back on the road. I called around, and Oreilly was the only one that had them on the shelf. Oreilly coils also come with warranty, sold locally, cheap, in stock/available on the same day.... can't beat it if you're in a bind. If you're doing all 10, I'd just get the full set from FCP which is what I did after a couple years of running them without issues... I personally don't like the feeling of driving M5 with "cheap" coils... or "cheap" anything... call me an M snob. i don't care :giggle:

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a fairly interesting comparison ! I've seen pictures of some people wearing expensive sun glasses, and guess what, they didn't have money for their underwears also !
Sun, were u just doing preventive maintenance on your car with the coil packs or did your car start running bad

·
Registered
267 Posts
Sun, were u just doing preventive maintenance on your car with the coil packs or did your car start running bad
My check engine light went on, and engine was running rough, in limp mode reduced power.
Torque Pro showed misfire in cylinder 2, and I swapped the coil to 3, and the misfire went to 3.
This had happened before, i think on the other bank, to coil 6 I think, and I was hunting on ebay for a used coil - usually around $20-30. I had bought a used BMW coil on ebay and it was working very well, so I was looking for something similar.

I am hesitant to throw $120 for a brand new coil. I keep my car running on a tight budget, and noticed these coils, $120 for 5, from a NJ supplier, and thought, let me give this a shot.

I avoid getting into preventive maintenance mode - i just react to problems and fix it. But i also carry about 5 spare coils now in the trunk in case something happens and at least we can get it replaced on the road. These are M5 specific coils and coils from other cars won't work, per what i hear here. I also carry a Foxwell scanner with BMW module in it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My check engine light went on, and engine was running rough, in limp mode reduced power.
Torque Pro showed misfire in cylinder 2, and I swapped the coil to 3, and the misfire went to 3.
This had happened before, i think on the other bank, to coil 6 I think, and I was hunting on ebay for a used coil - usually around $20-30. I had bought a used BMW coil on ebay and it was working very well, so I was looking for something similar.

I am hesitant to throw $120 for a brand new coil. I keep my car running on a tight budget, and noticed these coils, $120 for 5, from a NJ supplier, and thought, let me give this a shot.

I avoid getting into preventive maintenance mode - i just react to problems and fix it. But i also carry about 5 spare coils now in the trunk in case something happens and at least we can get it replaced on the road. These are M5 specific coils and coils from other cars won't work, per what i hear here. I also carry a Foxwell scanner with BMW module in it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hear ya...I do some preventative maintenance within reason but I also like to be budget minded...I have a generic harbor freight obd 2 scanner and it doesn’t show me if it’s misfiring on a specific cylinder or not...I’m gonna try my icarly dongle later today and see if it shows me anything....I’ve heard it could also be a throttle actuator or ionic actuator....like u said I don’t just wanna guess and start throwing parts at it but the car is due for plugs and coils right now anyways...where did u get your Bmw specific scanner at, maybe I need that one...

·
Registered
267 Posts
I hear ya...I do some preventative maintenance within reason but I also like to be budget minded...I have a generic harbor freight obd 2 scanner and it doesn’t show me if it’s misfiring on a specific cylinder or not...I’m gonna try my icarly dongle later today and see if it shows me anything....I’ve heard it could also be a throttle actuator or ionic actuator....like u said I don’t just wanna guess and start throwing parts at it but the car is due for plugs and coils right now anyways...where did u get your Bmw specific scanner at, maybe I need that one...
I use Torque Pro ($4 on android I think), and a $10 cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Torque Pro shows all the "TEST" details like this(I have pasted the full text, but on the phone its in very nice graphics): (For BMW Specific software, i use Foxwell NT 510 scanner, with BMW software on it, for $140 , i also have DIS and INPA on my laptop, but the Foxwell does the job quicker and easier).

Vehicle VIN: WBSNB93568CX09272
Vehicle Manufacturer: BMW
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present
Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$83
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Max: 1.99882 Min: 0.54967
Test result value: 0.8379
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$05
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 500ms Min: 10ms
Test result value: 130ms
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Test incomplete or dependant test failed
--
MID:$02 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Max: 7.99527V Min: 0.64904V
Test result value: 0.64904V
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$83
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Test result value: 0.81899
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$05
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Test result value: 120ms
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
--
MID:$06 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$21 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
Max: 1.09922 Min: 0
Test result value: 0.46421
PASS
----
MID:$22 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 2
Test result value: 0.47409
PASS
----
MID:$3b TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Max: 108mA Min: 20.59375mA
Test result value: 20.59766mA
PASS
----
MID:$3c TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.040")
Max: 108mA Min: 26.66016mA
Test result value: 26.66406mA
PASS
----
MID:$3d TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$3d TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$3d TID:$83
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$41 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 1
Max: 12Ohm Min: 5Ohm
Test result value: 11Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$42 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2
Max: 13Ohm Min: 4Ohm
Test result value: 10Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$45 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 1
PASS
----
MID:$46 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$71 TID:$98
- Secondary Air Monitor 1
Max: 22,000 Min: 0
Test result value: 1,392
PASS
----
MID:$71 TID:$99
--
MID:$a2 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
Max: 65,535Count Min: 0Count
Test result value: 0Count
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
Test result value: 1Count
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a8 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 7 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a8 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 7 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a9 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 8 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a9 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 8 Data
PASS
----
MID:$aa TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 9 Data
PASS
----
MID:$aa TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 9 Data
PASS
----
MID:$ab TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 10 Data
PASS
----
MID:$ab TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 10 Data
PASS
----
End of report.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I use Torque Pro ($4 on android I think), and a $10 cheap bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Torque Pro shows all the "TEST" details like this(I have pasted the full text, but on the phone its in very nice graphics): (For BMW Specific software, i use Foxwell NT 510 scanner, with BMW software on it, for $140 , i also have DIS and INPA on my laptop, but the Foxwell does the job quicker and easier).

Vehicle VIN: WBSNB93568CX09272
Vehicle Manufacturer: BMW
Vehicle Calibration ID: Not present
Test report:
------------------
MID:$01 TID:$83
- O2 Bank 1 Sensor 1
Test result value: 0.8379
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$05
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
Test result value: 130ms
PASS
----
MID:$02 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
--
MID:$02 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 1 Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$05 TID:$83
- O2 Bank 2 Sensor 1
Test result value: 0.81899
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$05
Rich to Lean sensor switch time(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
Test result value: 120ms
PASS
----
MID:$06 TID:$07
Minimum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
--
MID:$06 TID:$08
Maximum sensor Voltage for test cycle(calculated) - O2 Bank 2 Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$21 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 1
Test result value: 0.46421
PASS
----
MID:$22 TID:$81
- Catalyst Monitor Bank 2
Test result value: 0.47409
PASS
----
MID:$3b TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.090")
Max: 108mA Min: 20.59375mA
Test result value: 20.59766mA
PASS
----
MID:$3c TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.040")
Max: 108mA Min: 26.66016mA
Test result value: 26.66406mA
PASS
----
MID:$3d TID:$81
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$3d TID:$82
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$3d TID:$83
- EVAP Monitor (0.020")
--
MID:$41 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 1
PASS
----
MID:$42 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 1 - Sensor 2
Test result value: 10Ohm
PASS
----
MID:$45 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 1
PASS
----
MID:$46 TID:$81
- O2 Heater Monitor Bank 2 - Sensor 2
PASS
----
MID:$71 TID:$98
Max: 22,000 Min: 0
Test result value: 1,392
PASS
----
MID:$71 TID:$99
--
MID:$a2 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a2 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 1 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a3 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 2 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a4 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 3 Data
Test result value: 1Count
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a5 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 4 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a6 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 5 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a7 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 6 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a8 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 7 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a8 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 7 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a9 TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 8 Data
PASS
----
MID:$a9 TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 8 Data
PASS
----
MID:$aa TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 9 Data
PASS
----
MID:$aa TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 9 Data
PASS
----
MID:$ab TID:$0b
EWMA Misfire counts (average) for last 10 drive cycles - Misfire Cylinder 10 Data
PASS
----
MID:$ab TID:$0c
Misfire counts for last/current driving cycles(calculated) - Misfire Cylinder 10 Data
PASS
----
End of report.
Thanks Sun, I see the torque app on my iPhone App Store, looks similar to iCarly I have already with the Bluetooth adapter...I also see the foxwell on amazon, where did u get it for $140

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks Sun, I see the torque app on my iPhone App Store, looks similar to iCarly I have already with the Bluetooth adapter...I also see the foxwell on amazon, where did u get it for $140

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol thanks again Sun, you’re the man, it’s $180 on Amazon...gonna run ICarly and see if I can get some answers there first

1 - 20 of 21 Posts