BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this morning I started my car up, and about 5 minutes later the engine light came on with the increased emissions warning. I ran the codes, and got a thermostat error. I am assuming the thermostat is stuck open, so I cleared the codes. From what I understand, if it is stuck closed, the car can overheat. Have any of you had this happen? Is there a sense of urgency getting it replaced? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
It is most likely stuck open your car will take much longer to warm up and won't reach *full operating temperature*. Thermostat failure is common around this time of year with the temperature drop. I got mine replaced last year for the same issue.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
What did it end up costing you?
Almost $1k at the dealer it was covered by my warranty. The part itself is cheap it is just the labor to do it. There are some short cuts like without taking off the entire plenums it just depends on whoever is doing the work.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes, it just happened to mine also last week. I knew it was the Thermostat since mine never hit the 210 for more than a year.

I think the only risk to not replace the Thermostat is higher carbon build-up since the engine is not running hot enough. Also high revving before reaching 210 may/will induce more engine friction given the very thick of TWS.

After the replacement, mine "feels" more power! I hope the mpg will go higher.

My warranty called "The Mechanic" covered in at BMW dealer with $100 deductible.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Replaced this myself, around 100 bucks using OEM parts. Basically partially remove the intake plenums and drain the top half of the radiator.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Did this last night. Things to know:

If you remove the intake plenums, make sure to be ready to break off one of the rear oil return hose connectors. Damn things are impossible to reach, and on there tight. Busted one last night, pretty much because I didn't even see it there. Oh well, was able to McGuiver it together, with a new hose on order. I hear that hose is a real b*tch to replace also.

Also, be ready to spill coolant everywhere. At least in my case, I always make a mess when coolant is involved. Make sure also, to clean the mating surfaces of the halves of the thermostat housing. They will be pretty nasty upon removal. Also, buy extra o-rings, incase you pinch or tear one in the removal. All four should be replaced, I ordered 6 and needed only 4.

After you're done, fill the coolant in the reservoir which will now be empty and possibly all over your floor. Run the car up to temperature. Let it sit overnight, if you have that option. In the morning, open the res and top off. Keep some coolant in the trunk for the next few drives, and keep an eye on the level periodically after.

Anyways, that is all. Wasn't hard, but wasn't "fun" wrenching. Nothing really difficult, but just annoying the entire time. Hard to see, hard to get to sh*t. Stuff you'll bang your hands on. That kinda DIY.

Hopefully the damned thing lasts until after I sell the car, lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts