BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really want a set of Apex whees on my CB M5, so trying to find a good shop that will machine the center bore out from 72.56mm to the 74.1mm that is required on E39s. Can anybody recommend a shop they have used in the Boston area? Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did consider it but, like you said, it's not a cheap option. My snows are an OEM set so would need to retain the hub for those too.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had the local wheel shop do this to a set put a set of E60 wheels on my E39 and they did a great job. It wasn't very expensive.

That was before the conversion kit - I'd go that route now as you can always go back and get an adapter to put regular E39 wheels back on but after you machine the wheels they aren't going to fit anything else :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While that's a good idea, too, I'm still looking for a good machine shop that can help increase the center bore. I don't mind if the wheels don't fit anything else since I'd be buying them specifically for this car. Also, I feel like these cars are getting really rare and special so I'd rather retain the factory qualities if possible. Wheels can always find a new home with somebody else :)

That was before the conversion kit - I'd go that route now as you can always go back and get an adapter to put regular E39 wheels back on but after you machine the wheels they aren't going to fit anything else :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
what apex wheel are you look at specifically? There's a group buy right now for the FL-5 wheel with 74.1 specific for the e39. They had one from the ARC-8's a while ago. Maybe ask them if they can make a one off for you or wait for the next group buy for whatever wheel you want

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, @lovesm3s and everybody else. I already asked Apex about doing a one-off, and am even willing to pay a premium, but no dice from their side. Wonder why, because all they need is a couple hours on the CNC. I think those Arc 8s in matte bronze would look great on an E39.

Anyway, as much I appreciate the responses I'm still in search of a good machine shop in the Boston area that can help. Hub conversion, adapters etc. are kind of an extreme measure for me so I'll consider those if I don't find a shop in the next few weeks. Thanks!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would advise against it. Too much human error potential and if its a fraction off you will vibrate as if the wheels dont have hub rings on at all. You will have a better chance getting a conversion kit like a guy suggested above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would advise against it. Too much human error potential and if its a fraction off you will vibrate as if the wheels dont have hub rings on at all. You will have a better chance getting a conversion kit like a guy suggested above.
Yes, I guess that's a very real possibility. In that case, since I don't want to convert the hub, it seems like the latest Fl-5 group buy could be the best option. Will post pics of the wheels on the car if I end up getting them finished in matte bronze!

·
Registered
676 Posts
what apex wheel are you look at specifically? There's a group buy right now for the FL-5 wheel with 74.1 specific for the e39. They had one from the ARC-8's a while ago. Maybe ask them if they can make a one off for you or wait for the next group buy for whatever wheel you want
Where is the group buy thread on these? I searched and cannot find.. thanks!

·
2,481 Posts
Thanks, @lovesm3s and everybody else. I already asked Apex about doing a one-off, and am even willing to pay a premium, but no dice from their side. Wonder why, because all they need is a couple hours on the CNC. I think those Arc 8s in matte bronze would look great on an E39.

Anyway, as much I appreciate the responses I'm still in search of a good machine shop in the Boston area that can help. Hub conversion, adapters etc. are kind of an extreme measure for me so I'll consider those if I don't find a shop in the next few weeks. Thanks!
Your willing to pay a premium or have a machine shop do the work but not go for a $315 kit? What?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
6 Participants
de Witt
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing