BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,

I purchased a 06 M5 approx. 7 mos ago and i think it is a great car except for one item (i wouldnt even think about mentioning the gas mileage) and that is the lack of lumination from the stock headlights. On a dark and wet road, I can barely see the road ahead of me! Granted the uniformity of the light across the roadway is great but the sheer brightness of the light output is terrible! I owned a E46 M3 before my M5 and the headlights arent even in the same league. I was wondering if anyone else also has this concern? I also tried changing bulbs and when to a 6000k color and the results are the same. I am to a point where i am considering adding some auxiliary lighting.

·
Registered
283 Posts
The headlights, like everything else (except the cupholders) on the M5 are a technological tour-de-force, at least in the eyes of us here ;-).

Of the cars I've owned, the M5's for me are definitely brighter than I had become used to. So unless you've had some truly painfully lights in the past, seeing the M5s lights as insufficient would be cause for concern.

If you're not getting sufficient light from either lamp, then something in the electronics is probably heading for the junk pile, and you'd be wise to check into it before it completely goes out.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I also have this problem at night. Sometimes I feel like I don't see enough, but that may be due to the halogen headlamps in the car I used to drive at the moment. It might just be a problem of adaptation or a need to see everything. If others don't have the problem then it's either the xenons or the eyesight at night.
PS: did a short test last year and had a close to 11/10 eyesight (maybe perfect), but I have a problem with sunlight for instance (may be a vampire, but that's a secret). In the right conditions, like at the doctor your eyesight might be perfect, but in a different exposure you may act like a blind man (squinting of the eyes).

·
Registered
350 Posts
I agree with the OP and was about to post the exact same thread!

I too come from an E46 M3 and the lights on the M3 were MUCH better. They really lit the night up. Especially good to see speed cameras hiding on the side of the road.

·
Registered
36 Posts
maybe yours need adjustment? You mention Halogen lights, I believe the M5 comes standard with Xenon so it should be significantly brigther.

·
Registered
119 Posts
My lights seem great to me. Not as bright as some cars I have driven, but certainly no problem on a twisty mountain road at 2 am.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Guys,

I purchased a 06 M5 approx. 7 mos ago and i think it is a great car except for one item (i wouldnt even think about mentioning the gas mileage) and that is the lack of lumination from the stock headlights. On a dark and wet road, I can barely see the road ahead of me! Granted the uniformity of the light across the roadway is great but the sheer brightness of the light output is terrible! I owned a E46 M3 before my M5 and the headlights arent even in the same league. I was wondering if anyone else also has this concern? I also tried changing bulbs and when to a 6000k color and the results are the same. I am to a point where i am considering adding some auxiliary lighting.
I really don't know what to say...Been around a couple of years and have never heard or read of anyone having trouble with seeing at night or in the rain or while traveling at 200 mph...If your headlamp system is all BMW , meaning ballasts and bulbs..I would suggest you go for a more "inclusive" eye exam for "night blindness" that test IS NOT normally done as a standard optometrist's appointment. Sorry your having this problem... Now Please don't be blinded about my comments...:applause:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hahaha not blinded at all. But I am spoiled by better headlight systems though. I have installed multiple HID conversion kits in my other cars along with cars belonging to friends. And in every case those headlight systems, in my opinion, are brighter than the ones on my M5.
A friend rode with me the other night and he even commented on the my lights are dimmer than his e46.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I must have had some crappy cars in the past because the M6 lights are the best I have ever had lol

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
how many miles do you have on your 06? the reason I ask is HIDs do lose their output over time and by replacing your bulbs with 6000k ones you have effectively lowered your output. Stock headlight HID bulbs are 4300k. I'm sure you know that since it sounds like you have done some retrofits. Everyone knows that the higher the kelvin temp then the lower the output. That may be your case. Just try 4300k bulbs an let us know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Acuras are renown for their great projector .. as for the hard to see at night in the dark ... well it's kind of the case for everyone. In the rain at night you get a massive glare from the road that makes the road look like it's dim. I think it's more an environmental issue than the car.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
JT//M5:

Yes, U are correct. I realized 6000k has less of an output than the stock 4300k. But the diff. is very small. Maybe I'll buy some new 4300k bulbs and try them out. btw my M has 70K on the clock

Driftmotion:

True, and since the M5 lighting has less of a focused and concentrated light output forward than other lighting systems i have owned, it compounds the issue.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts