BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

This my first post. I’m seriously considering purchasing a e28 M5 before valued get away from my reach completely. There is a very clean looking car in Tamworth (advertised on PistonHeads) at 64k, most of the other RHD cars are a fair bit north of this price point.
I followed the market closely about 6 years ago, with good examples around 20k, but alas not a sausage to spend then!

Questions for you all:
How liquid is the market, i.e. how often do you see cars pop up at reasonable price points and sell?

Where are we pricewise for a good sorted car at this point in time?

I’d be really interested to hear opinions.
Thanks

·
Registered
471 Posts
Sorry for the long delay in replying. E28 M5's don't come up very often at all (though the survival rate of GB 'DC92' models is pretty high). Consequently it was very unusual to see two consigned to Brightwells at Leominster last November.

One was in very good order when it went into a collection circa 2003 and clearly hadn't done much since, with mileage just under 100k - though it lacked detail 'on the day' (which was well attended despite wet and miserable weather). It was one of only two GB cars in Malachite green and the only DC92 with Pine green cloth. Not an obvious choice - but actually very understated, perfectly suiting the 'Q car' theme. My guess is that it will pop up with a dealer in due course with the detail corrected and a substantial price tag. With buyers' premium, it made £51520, later noted in 'Classic Car' as setting the new level. IMHO with better preparation, re-instated GB registration mark, a new MoT and premium tyres all round (two new budget brand on the front...) it would have made quite a bit more. Perhaps quite a lot more.

The other car (one of 11 in Cirrus blue) was obviously not as good, with several paint defects/visible repairs and poor detail - despite long ownership with little recent use. A really cheap and nasty fixed rubber radio aerial gave quite the wrong impression. With premium it made £38080, pretty strong.

So to the Tamworth car - I recall seeing this car back in 2007 but that's a long time ago! Its certainly not the first E28 M5 that this vendor has advertised. At least with a dealer you have some sort of comeback, however tenuous. In view of the auction results, it doesn't look bad.

I guess you will have seen the South African car at ML more recently. The specification is a bit 'in yer face' (somewhat defeating the Q-car theme) but looks good; whilst arguably the South African cars are not worth as much, it would seem like a sensible way to buy a solid, very well detailed RHD E28 M5 with a good history. Good value? Others may disagree!

It's over 20 years since I bought mine - a long time for its surviving peers to decay more. If you have a look on 'Retro Rides', Tonybmw posted a great thread on restoring an E28 M5 about 8 years ago. It looked pretty solid (another Cirrus blue car) but on close examination it wasn't at all good and needed extensive bodywork. This car subsequently found a new owner. The many images show very eloquently what to look for on an E28 (and incredible fabrication and welding skills). The old advice of buying the best you can afford definitely holds good - it certainly served me well. Caveat Emptor!

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards

Mfiver

1 - 2 of 2 Posts