BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My non-servotronic box is due to be refurbished, it has a lot of play beyond any possible adjustment. I think it may be a good moment to replace it with a servotronic one. Does any of you have or know of one for sale?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply David. Steering box is different for left or right hand drive cars isn't it?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think You can contact a forum member Ginger//M5 , after an accident He has several parts for sale.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I will have a servotronic for sale. I just need to get the legal paperwork and settlement with the korean that hit me before i can start stipping

·
Registered
497 Posts
Hi there,

Why would you have the servotronic. In my experience the none servotronic is much better in terms of feel for the road and the front wheels. Although the servotronic feature controls the amount of fluid pussed through the steering box depending on speed, in practice it feels to light for me. I just replaced mine for a complete revised NONE servotronic box from hydroline. See URL
Hydroline Powersteering BV, Kwaliteit Stuurhuis Revisie

These guys do not only replace the seals but comepletly revice the internals of the box using shimmingplates to minimize all sorts of play. somebody on the forum, forgot his name, already has one of hydroline and tested it on the ring. He was over enthousiastic about it.

Hydronline has one on the shelf WITH servotronic I belief. I know this because I had contact with them a couple of weeks back about mine.
Give them a call. They know all about the E34 M5 box with the short ratio compared to the standard E34 box.
My advise, for what it's worth:):):) leave the servotronic for what it is and GO for the NONE.

I forgot to mention: Stealers price is around: 1100 euros. Hydroline 450......there you GO!

Cheers

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ginger, I might be interested in your servotronic box together with the control module. Sorry to know the reason why you will sell it. Hope the paperwork does not take too long. Is there much play in your steering box? I mean would it be recomendable to send it fot revision before mounting it in the car?

Crash&Burn, the reason why I prefer servotronic is because the non version is too heavy for me when parking the car. I would prefer something "lighter" like the one I have in the 740i. Thanks for the link

·
Registered
497 Posts
Just got the car back with a completely revised steeringbox ex serv. Paralell to do that a CH11S flush. Steering has much much improved and I think cause of the new fluid, the steering is not heavy at all. So.........

@Robinson: Unless you like to park and unpark the car all the time, please reconsider this...Especially with a used servobox. A normal (revised) one with new Pentosin does miracles....

·
Registered
7,669 Posts
I'm with Crash & Burn on the steering preference .

A well set up Non - Servotronic system feels far more solid and reassuring in my opinion .

Each to their own !

D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Adding to this some easy checks to exclude other forms of play.
1) Check the steeringcolumn nut between the pedals. This can come loose. Don't overtighten it because you won't be able the axial move the column. Hand tight with 20 degrees extra should be enough.
2) Pitman arm: When mounting the pitmanarm make sure there is at least 1,5 mm space between the face of the pitmanarm and the face of the steeringbox. Reason is: When turning the wheel the outgoing steeringbox ax is slightly pulled. If the pitmanarm is too close to the box, the faces will rubb against eachother. This in itself is not that bad but the increased force needed on the box for the pitmanarm to move wil cause an increased sense of play when sterring the car.
3) when flushing the fluid make sure the filter in the reservoir is thoroughly cleand. You can ONLY do this by removing the reservoir and flush upside down with brakecleaner or something. You cannot buy the filter alone so it's either cleaning or e new reservoir. And they are kinda expensive for just a reservoir:):)

Reactions: 1day

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for your advices Crash, All these points were already checked time ago. When I move the steering wheel to one and other direction I can see how the input shaft turns but there's not any output from the box so the play must be there.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Yep, I had the some problem. Everything new except for the box.....glad that's all behind me now...money is gone.....but the ride is so much better. Goodluck with changing the box and let us know what the improvements are...

Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts