BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

(In progress, need some help) Retrofit dual stage steering wheel in a pre 3/99 e39 M5

5K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  cphes 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

I probably have one of the last e39’s with a single stage setup... Even after owning the car for 2 years I still think the single stage wheel is terrible....

So now I’m in the progress of fitting a dual stage e39m/e46m steering wheel in my 3/99 e39 M5. Mechanically it’s all sorted now, but electronically not everything is working. Whipers and turn signals work, the rest not so much. The wiring harness changed after 3/99 but BMW doesn’t disclose what exactly. I will not give up, but I need some help.

Questions:
1) Would anyone with a post 3/99 e39 M5 be willing to PM me his/her chassis (VIN) number? Preferably off a M5 with a build date between 3/99 and 9/01. My dealer can use that to get the wiring harness blueprints so we can compare).
2) Anyone have any insights in the wiring harness changes? Any info would be very much appreciated.

Cheers!

#2 ·
Are you sure you have all of the harnesses installed? As you probably know, you can't use the wiring from the old wheel/airbag. There is also a ground wire that needs to be attached. Maybe post a picture of what you currently have installed.

#3 · (Edited)
I should have taken pictures.... did not think of that. The old wheel is on right now, safety first and stuff.

I bought all the cables from the airbag to the clockspring that where changed per 3/99. According to my mechanics he could not fit a wire behind the clock spring?

I was under the assumption everything behind the clock spring was the same, so change the steering lock mechanism to fit the new clock spring and it would wire up, done.

Edit

Parts I used:
61318386947 (steering connecting line)
32321095823 (steering lock)
61318379091 (column switch)
32301097246 (airbag connecting line)
+ switches, covers, airbag module etc.

#6 · (Edited)
Well two months later and.... no progress. Went to the dealership and they are adamant about not being able to attach all the wires. They say the wiring harness needs to be adjusted... And they don’t want to do it because of safety concerns (they don’t want to be at risk of a lawsuit if I’d crash and the airbag wouldn’t work). Anyone have actual experience doing this?

I’m not sure if I should keep trying (e.a. find another tech) or just do this: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/...Single-Stage-to-Dual-Stage-Wheel-Pictures-DIY

#7 ·
[QUOTE = "GillianB, post: 7517826, membro: 350472"]
Bem, dois meses depois e .... nenhum progresso. Fomos à concessionária e eles são inflexíveis quanto a não serem capazes de conectar todos os fios. Eles dizem que o chicote elétrico precisa ser ajustado ... E não querem fazê-lo por questões de segurança (não querem correr o risco de uma ação judicial se eu bater e o airbag não funcionar) ) Alguém tem experiência real fazendo isso?

Não tenho certeza se devo continuar tentando (e encontrar outra tecnologia) ou apenas fazer isso: https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?2351536-Steering-Wheel-Retrofit-Single-Stage-to -Dual-Stage-Wheel-Pictures-DIY
[/CITAR]
Any news?

#8 ·
I also have an early sport wheel - 12/98 prod 540it sport, and a later sport wheel - 12/99 prod 750iL. My choice is to send the early wheel out for a recover that will make it thicker. I’m not into messing much with airbags. That being said, this thread is the closest I’ve seen to explaining what to do. I don’t know if it is correct, as I have not tried it, but it makes for interesting reading. Steering Wheel Retrofit - Single Stage to Dual Stage Wheel | Pictures | DIY

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.