BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Folks, I'm participating in the Big Bend Open Road(Big Bend Open Road Race) race in a few weeks and one of the safety requirements is to have a 2.5lb fire extinguisher installed safely within reach of the driver.

I've attempted to buy the OEM extinguisher and mount from my local BMW dealer as well as a couple online sources and no one can seem to get me one. If I had a roll cage there are a million 3rd party alternatives for mounts. I would love to have this mounted to the front of the passenger seat like the OEM one does.

So my question is, anyone know where I can get the OEM setup in the USA? Or, anyone have any 3rd party aftermarket alterntives? Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
294 Posts
go to a metal fab shop (call a metal supplier and they will know who to send you too) and on the front of the passenger seat there are spots to fasten a bracket that would hold an extinguisher you can pick up anywhere..it wouldn't cost to much i wouldnt think..then when you are done you havent altered the interior

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I considered the custom bracket route but I'm running out of time due to the race being in 3 weeks. I've got a pretty busy few weeks of travel before that so was really looking for something I could purchase outright and have shipped to me.

·
Registered
294 Posts
the bracket could be made in a couple hours.. not much to it..easy stuff here..unless some just happens to have a european one laying around you might want to entertain this idea..dont want to miss the race on account of this .

·
Registered
12,922 Posts
Thanks, I considered the custom bracket route but I'm running out of time due to the race being in 3 weeks. I've got a pretty busy few weeks of travel before that so was really looking for something I could purchase outright and have shipped to me.
Try ebay.uk and ebay.de.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
The OEM fire extinguisher is 2.2 lbs (1 kg) so you may want to really think about the custom work...

A competent welder/machinist could be found and asked nicely (with a beer incentive) for an hour of his time to get this done for you, then purchase an fire extinguisher off the shelf.

edit: FWIW here are the part #'s for anyone interested (Thanks gregh)
72600000335 Extinguisher ("extinguisher 1kg" - also they do not ship to US so you may have been waiting longer than 3 weeks for it)
82279404488 Bracket

·
Registered
524 Posts
Mine's just a standard shop bought one that i got a while back and installed on the standard mount, with an extra hole drilled in the extinguisher bracket to line up with the mount holes

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts