BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My father and I are considering leasing a new 08 M6 but the gas concerns my father. We would be splitting the car and the payments which is the only way I could realistically afford to get this car. We both absolutely love the car and it really is our dream car. By pooling our money together, this is probably our only chance to ever get to own a car like this.

In all honesty how bad are the M6's on gas? Should this be something that makes me decide against the M6 or is it something that can be tolerated. I obviously won't be using the car to go on long trips. My father would be using the car Mon-Fri to drive to work and back- approximately a total of 20-25 mins both ways. I would be driving it Fri and Sat and occasionally Sunday.

I really want this car and am trying to consider my dad that this should not be a huge reason for us to not get it! Please help!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I cant imagine that the M6 is better on gas than my 650i and i can tell you it can be pretty bad on my car. When i check the dash is usually says I'm averaging in-between 8.5 and 10.5 mpg but i am rarely on the highway and i drive the car pretty aggressively. Goodluck with the car!

·
Registered
319 Posts
To be honest with you, my M6 is that bad on gas. It's never below 24 liters per 100 kilometers. Of course, I like to drive it fast...

·
Registered
224 Posts
If gas is that much of a financial issue, you are better of with a Porsche 911. Its performance is similar (if not better as in the Turbo) and it gets excellent gas mileage. I just bought my M6 but I do not intend to drive it that many miles since it is my fourth car. The 911 was my other choice.

·
Registered
125 Posts
On the road at about 80 I get 19.5-20.
Around town, 11-12, but I put my foot in it a lot. I love the tire spinning capability (dsc off).

·
Registered
124 Posts
City driving i get 9-11mpg thats about 170 miles a tank.

HWY i get around 22-23.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I get an avg of about 14.5 but it's not the money... it's the stopping for gas every other day :grrrrr:

Then I hit the "M" button and it all seems worth it.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Why does the M6 have suck a small tank only 14 Gallons.:confused:
I agree....for a V10, 500 ponies, why only 15 gallons???
I have to fill this up every week!

I get 12.6 to 13 mpg commuting and fun driving

·
Registered
25 Posts
The gas mileage is horrible. Lately, I've been averaging 8-9mpg driving around Manhattan.

The tank is also small, but I still love the car

·
Registered
95 Posts
It really is bad. I don't see how anyone could get 20mpg or higher on the highway, in all honesty I call BS on that.... unless you're doing 55-60 mph for awhile in 7th gear. A good fillup will see 12 - 12.5 mpg, and sometimes if I fill up after only a quarter or half tank and the driving was on the spirited side, I see as low as 8 mpg. My driving is all or 90% suburban, and the highway doesn't help because that's where I can really open her up and play in that 6-8k rpm fun-zone :7:.
This is not my only car, and I don't really drive alot ("commute" is maybe 4 miles), so it isn't as big of a deal for me. If you are unsure and the payments on the car are a little bit of a stretch, I agree with what others have said and maybe you should consider something with 6-8 cylinders.

Oh, and when I give you MPG numbers, they are calculated using the trip odometer between fillips. I think the car's readout is a tad optimistic.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Ya the beast drinks gas like it's Gatorade. I used to get 215 miles on a full tank. After swapping out the filters to BMC filter the dash reads 285 on a full tank. Is anyone experiencing this?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Im so jealous that you guys are getting in the double digits around town. I drive about 105-115 miles on a tank of gas so Im getting about 6.17-6.77 miles to the gallon. I do have a right foot that has denser bone mass so it makes that foot heavier. :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
385 Posts
The gas milage SUCKS...
if MPG is a concern and a financial factor then you should not even be looking at a M6. I average 12.6 to 13mpg and I do not beat on my car.. I know guys that driver their 6er's hard and are getting 9mpg.

Pick up a new 650, they get great gas mileage and you can jazz it up with all the money you save not buying the M6.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Short Shifting

Since I bought the M6 in November I have averaged 16.1 with all types of driving. The car has 2,400 miles on the odometer. A couple of 140+ mph runs are included. No burnouts. Lots of quick pull outs.

But I never use "D". I hand (paddle) shift and "short" shift. That really keeps the RPM's down and if I go too slow the computer does not allow the shift. This keeps the mileage higher.

The highway runs are in the 18-20 mpg in 7th gear below 75mph.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Like many others have said, if you are in

a financial situation, you shouldn't come

near this car. the gas milage is horrible.

especially now, since gas in LA is almost

4$ a gallon. your best bet would be to go

with a carrera/cayman. just because

those will most definitely give you all the

performance and luxury you want.

When i bought my M6 it was okay, it

only needed like 40$-50$ to fill up.

now its like 70$.. so with that being said

im only getting like 11.5 mpg average.

GOOD LUCK !

1 - 20 of 79 Posts