BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I made the effort to make detail report on the legendary IMSA E34 M5 3.8 for all of us. The E34 M5 Fans.

The BMW CEO... Dan was a great dude to talk with ! Very nice guy and down to earth personality.

Let enjoy and comment this piece of BMW Racing History.

Best Regards
Anri

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Really cool........

but the rear spoiler ,,,,, is that an E36 GT mixed,, spoiler
Duuuuudeee,

Stop looking Candies and Chocolates...

Pay attention to the headers or something. :)

Anri

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for sharing Anri!

That is a pretty impressive power output and the exhaust system looks quite rustic...

Lantz
Hey Lanz,

Remember this car was build quite a while ago.... Also the car is owned by BMW NA located on East Coast side of US So some rust is expected on the exhaust.

Anri

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Awesome pictures! Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Thanks for sharing, great pictures. Quite a bit of negative camber on the front!

That is one ugly cut-out in the strut tower...you'd think they would have radiused/blended it out, or at least deburred the edges, to mitigate any crack propagation in that slot.

Otherwise, it's an impressive looking set-up.

Thanks for sharing, Anri.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Is the E34 M5 dry sumped or wet sump ?

Did they modify the harmonic balancer to get to 8,500rpm ?

In Australia there was a drag racer that used to modify Holden (GM) 3 litre sixes called Ron Harrop , the Holden straight 6 has similar undesirable crank harmonics at high rpm and will throw harmonic balancers off the end of the crank. His solution was to use a larger mercury filled harmonic balancer off a Massey Ferguson tractor ...

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anri, great report; thanks a lot for sharing. If there is there a chance of retrieving the engine-build specifications, I would be happy to see them ?

BTW: I added this thread to the FAQ's
Ray,

I found Sir. Dan not really technically unformed for the particular vehicle as well for other mechanical weird questions I always have...

No one will know anything about this car, even BMW NA employs I am sure.

But, Ed Arnold will know 100% because they simply build this entire car.

I will make phone call and try to get as many info as possible..

I wanted to make a Video shot but their battery was death ! I was very angry and offered to bring a jumper but they refused due to insurance purposes. I mentioned to Dan that next I want them to start the car for me.

He definitely will remember me since I was the only one took pictures around the car for hours and hours...

This is how I look on a side. My friend took a sudden pic of crazy person.

Best
Anri

Attachments

·
Registered
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hi,

Guys please pay attention how Larger the Intake is compare stock !

They extend the middle part. The quality was super clean and looked like a factory. Makes me think that GmbH made this box.

Also pay attention to the Air Cleaner is all original with the original maf...Then you itch your hair and say to yourself how good the factory stuff is !

I spent hours and hours and went through the entire car very carefully.

I learned a lot from their RollCage and got the idea of how they stiffened the chassis.

As well the rear suspension was original except the Pitman arm, dog nones as some call them. Original ex centric bolt for camber and they added the same bolt for toe..

Differential cooler.

My calculation looking at the video at Vimeo is that they run 4.45 LSD locking % is unknown, but its either 40 or more like 60%....

Also it has aluminum heat shield on the AP racing calipers... Sure Light weight wheels.

Regards
Anri

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Differential cooler.
I saw that , do they have a small oil pump to circulate the oil or it relies on oil temp differential and gravity only ?

Also noticed the fatter plenum chamber , it looks about 50% wider.

·
Registered
449 Posts
This must be quite a sturdy setup given the torque setting on that bolt and keeping in mind that this new pulley has now been sandwitched between the damper hub/damper/3piece pulley/adaptor/drysump pump pulley

·
10,445 Posts
Great pics. Was this at laguna seca? if so how did i miss this!

·
Registered
658 Posts
Awesome pics thanks for sharing, I have a few pics of the same car that a friend took for me but he missed the plenum. Very interesting!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts