BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the first time I am enjoying a quiet civilized exhaust note, have no desire to buy new wheels for the bling...Screw with the intake that already contributes to a 100 HP/Litre specific output? Nope. Basically going to keep her essentially stock with subtle 'imporovements'.

A few interior touches, IPOD integration, euro SMG, those groovy 'bruced' tail lights, maybe a perforated leather wheel like i had on the E39, carbon filter delete, some coding and thats about it...This car is, out of the box, more than most of us (and certainly I) will ever need or use, but still fully capable of astounding even the most jaded gear head with its abilities.

I am looking forward to new Bilstein EDC shocks, I have fitted HDs to every bimmer i've owned and have always been happy with the result...The better part of two grand for the pieces alone is a bit shocking, but what isn't if its fitted to an M5.

I guess i'm getting old.

Enjoy your Turkeys and M5s.

Reactions: PRM5

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
lol I said something when I purchased my car along the lines of "car is perfect as is...no need to mod it". And then I saw others modding their cars...saw a few local M5's and their modded cars...and then gave in.

Just wait until a modded M5 blasts past you with a screaming exhaust and then you'll be thinking "Crap. I need that."

It's inevitable :p

--EDIT--

Alameda...that's not too far. Wanna meet up? LOL

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
While I agree with most of what you're saying, it's almost inevitable to avoid the mod bug, especially if you're on this forum actively which you are. I think doing cosmetic touches here and there is great but just wait when you do the Bruce tails and see other modded m5s on the road. And you want to do the bilstien shocks? I can already smell 2015 mods coming.

Dan

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Next local meet is going to be in Alameda! LOL

Reactions: Kazakh015

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Next local meet is going to be in Alameda! LOL
Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea if you guys don't mind the drive up from the southbay. There are many "places" we can photoshoot and have a nice meet. Tortuga, you down?

Dan

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Used to be Up now its Down...

Actually that wouldn't be a bad idea if you guys don't mind the drive up from the southbay. There are many "places" we can photoshoot and have a nice meet. Tortuga, you down?

Dan
Yea I'm always up for (down) screwing around with cars...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

Dan
Need Arlin.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have only lightly modded mine, I spend more time and money just preserving it. I have changed a bunch of things that I thought look worn for new ones. I think BMW got it close to perfect out of the box with this car, comfort, performance, reliability. Some mods make the car depriciate because only some people will like them.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Said

I have only lightly modded mine, I spend more time and money just preserving it. I have changed a bunch of things that I thought look worn for new ones. I think BMW got it close to perfect out of the box with this car, comfort, performance, reliability. Some mods make the car depriciate because only some people will like them.
I agree, i was always a bit put off when installing aftermarket bits on the E39 when install required cutting or drilling, or when something felt, looked, or sounded a bit out of character with the luxury Q-Ship personna of the thing. The FULL Supersprint exhaust I had on the E39 there for a while sounded to me like my buddy's old 69 Z28 camaro, like Brazilian sex wide open on an on ramp, but a little too 'hey look at me' when just tooling around.

I really enjoy the no ticking, quiet and refined stock system on the E60.

I am also chasing wear and tear bits through the car, improving but not radically altering anything...Looking forward to bilstein shocks. Frankly i enjoy dropping all the panels and just digging on the way the whole thing is put together, cleaning, checking for leaks, chafe and things looking sketchy.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
Lol I remember the day I said I will never have to mod this car as it is perfect and then Tony and John come along and that idea goes out the window :eek:hiha

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool any others?

I'll probably be going to that...organizer is my childhood friend.
It would be great to put some faces to handles and kick around some ideas...

·
Registered
279 Posts
lol I said something when I purchased my car along the lines of "car is perfect as is...no need to mod it". And then I saw others modding their cars...saw a few local M5's and their modded cars...and then gave in.

Just wait until a modded M5 blasts past you with a screaming exhaust and then you'll be thinking "Crap. I need that."

It's inevitable :p
Lol I remember the day I said I will never have to mod this car as it is perfect and then Tony and John come along and that idea goes out the window :eek:hiha

Alright guys..... Let him enjoy the beast for a bit before steering him to a divorce.....

Tortuga, If I remember correctly I was pretty impressed with your motor. Car seamed to pull quite hard. Enjoy it for a bit before changing things. However if the bug has bit than i have some things for you. RPI scoops, BMG filters (Just cleaned and only 4000K miles total) and exhaust delete pipes. Just sitting in my garage.

GET GOOD TIRES and have you changed your plugs yet? That is a cheep way to ensure your running at full potential. Due to ionic sensing its VERY important to these motors... Just some thought.

Reactions: Cortinas78

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It would be great to put some faces to handles and kick around some ideas...

I'll setup a thread in the US West section for this event. I'm pretty sure I'm guaranteed to be going...pending weather, of course.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Turtle, like you I came from an e39 (I still have mine) and like you I felt a stock e60 was enough to satisfy my needs. Then I met up with docsv10, suckagdogg, and tjav8b. I was able to see a lightly modified, fbo modified and a blown e60 all at once. Next day I was ordering cosmetics and springs. A month later a pulley, BMC filters, and RPi scoops. Then I bought a slightly used (9000 miles) Rpi GTS exhaust system. I have dinan monoballs w/control arms and rd sport sways sitting in my office right now. Am I done? For now, yes. I'm still on the fence on getting a tune. One thing I did before all my mods was knock out maintenance. Good luck!

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,509 Posts
Turtle, like you I came from an e39 (I still have mine) and like you I felt a stock e60 was enough to satisfy my needs. Then I met up with docsv10, suckagdogg, and tjav8b. I was able to see a lightly modified, fbo modified and a blown e60 all at once. Next day I was ordering cosmetics and springs. A month later a pulley, BMC filters, and RPi scoops. Then I bought a slightly used (9000 miles) Rpi GTS exhaust. I have dinan monoballs w/control arms and rd sport sways sitting in my office right now. Am I done? For now, yes. I'm still on the fence on getting a tune. One thing I did before all my mods was knock out maintenance. Good luck!

LOL!

Up until July of this year, I could drive three generations back to back to back. I still have two generations in the stable...and each time I added an m5, I thought "stock+" was enough.

Then slowly, but surely, the track mods kept piling on...mostly suspension work. I'd drive the car stock for a bit, find the limit, then add one mod. Drive to the limit, then add another mod, etc...

All of my m5s look stock+ from the exterior, but that's about it. I recently sold my e39 this past summer, my e60 is done, while my e28 is going full track car.

Good luck OP!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
List

Alright guys..... Let him enjoy the beast for a bit before steering him to a divorce.....

Tortuga, If I remember correctly I was pretty impressed with your motor. Car seamed to pull quite hard. Enjoy it for a bit before changing things. However if the bug has bit than i have some things for you. RPI scoops, BMG filters (Just cleaned and only 4000K miles total) and exhaust delete pipes. Just sitting in my garage.

GET GOOD TIRES and have you changed your plugs yet? That is a cheep way to ensure your running at full potential. Due to ionic sensing its VERY important to these motors... Just some thought.
yes, ive done: Plugs, coolant, oil 2x, diff, trans, brakes (fluid and pads), removed carbon filters-think this is really what the CAIs rely on, thrust and track arms, radiator void cleanup, FL tails with bruce cables, some coding, lots of waxing and cleaning, hardwired V1...

Tires still have some life incredibly, my e39 would have just about eaten a rear set by now.

I like the quiet exhaust, nothing loud in my future...I dont miss the boy racer loud full race setup i had on the 39er...

Ive sent both oil changes to blackstone and they seem quite happy with things.

In short i am enjoying having a surprisingly fast luxo barge, that nobody but the coginzenti have any idea what its about.

·
Registered
13,470 Posts
OK man I will leave him alone for a few months but I shall return!! :tonquesmilie:
I will check out the regional section to get details on this so called meet.
:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts