BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weekend was very, very good to me. I finally got the windows tinted and installed my new JVC portable Sirius unit. Here are my findings:

Tint: I went with the Formula1 ceramic. 50% up front, 35% rears and 15% back window. I like the look and the quality of the film. So far no problems with the tint or the windows. However, I have noticed a reduction in the quality of FM reception and reduced reception in my Sirius radio. The antenna is mounted on top of the rear deck. I drove with it there for 2 days prior to the tint so I could do a comparison. I have not noticed any distruption of the NAV system though. I am thinking of installing the small antenna on the outside of car. My car is carbon black, so the antenna might now show to bad.

As far as visibility, drove for the first time at night and no problems there. I am quite happy with the tint so far.

Sirius: LOVE IT! No longer listen to local stations. I get excellent reception on major city streets and highways and okay reception on the smaller, tree lined roads. This is something that I expected so no big deal. My unit comes with a tiny remote control which makes it easy to change the stations, though I do miss the integration that some of you other folks have but I needed a unit I could take between cars. The audio comes into teh system via a blitzsafe adapter, which sits between my cd changer and the stereo. The sound is better than using the built in fm transmitter which is produces acceptable quality but not as good as the direct connection.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Osodog said:
The audio comes into teh system via a blitzsafe adapter, which sits between my cd changer and the stereo. The sound is better than using the built in fm transmitter which is produces acceptable quality but not as good as the direct connection.

Could you please elaborate on the "blitzsafe adapter"? Thanks.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure. Its a device that allows me to have an AUX input. Basically, one end connects to the CD changer, one end connects to the stereo and then there is a set of RCA female connections that allow me to connect a 3rd device such as my SAT radio or MP3 player. The only drawback is that the OEM changer is not compatible but I was able to sell it and buy a compatible unit for less money.

This links has a good picture of the unit. I got my from enfig.com for a good price. My contact there is Christian.

http://enfigpics.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/BMW_ALP_DMX_V1D_DSP.html

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
I wonder why a "ceramic" tint is effecting radio waves. Supposed to only be a metallic tint that can interfere with RF...

·
Registered
142 Posts
How does the blitz thing work. If you press "Mode" and scroll to the CD changer, how does it know to use that or the "mp3" aux input? Do you have to have nothing in the Changer for you to use the Aux In?

thanks

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
Osodog said:
Not exactly sure but from what I have read online, there is always a chance of it affecting it. Luckily the effects on mine are minimal.
The physicist/engineer in me is annoyed... it's RF propagation, not roulette.

But I agree, the information isn't readily available- seems hit or miss...and it shouldn't be.

I figure by July (in the Sacto valley heat) I'll be looking at tint big time.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
swingkat420 said:
How does the blitz thing work. If you press "Mode" and scroll to the CD changer, how does it know to use that or the "mp3" aux input? Do you have to have nothing in the Changer for you to use the Aux In?

thanks
To play my CDs, I switch to the CD changer as usual. To get to the AUX, I hit the left arrow, then right arrow quickly in succession, it then turns to CD 1, track 99. I unfortunately have not controls over the MP3 player or the Sirius unit via the radio controls.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ard said:
The physicist/engineer in me is annoyed... it's RF propagation, not roulette.

But I agree, the information isn't readily available- seems hit or miss...and it shouldn't be.

I figure by July (in the Sacto valley heat) I'll be looking at tint big time.
The only information I have been able to gather is via the vendor, which is not that useful and via other posts, which I value more. Either way, all I am concerned with is the end results, of which, I am happy with.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I, too, am contemplating adding some tinting. To mitigate Atlanta's summer heat, heat rejection is a key criterion in my decision making. I'm looking at Diamond metallic tinting, 35% on sides and 50% in rear to minimize likelihood of AM/FM signal degradation. Does anyone have any experience with these metallic %s?

If there are no signal problems, I may move my Sirius antenna from the rear roof to inside on the package shelf (on top of the center child restraint anchor). Here, again, does anyone have experience with the Sirius antenna beneath 50% metallic tint?

Fortunately, the installer will replace with non-metallic film (lifetime guarantee not to fade) at no charge if I have any (AM/FM/Sirius) problems. But, forewarned is forearmed.

Any advice/experience would be much appreciated.
5 Driver :7:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Osodog said:
Sure. Its a device that allows me to have an AUX input. Basically, one end connects to the CD changer, one end connects to the stereo and then there is a set of RCA female connections that allow me to connect a 3rd device such as my SAT radio or MP3 player. The only drawback is that the OEM changer is not compatible but I was able to sell it and buy a compatible unit for less money.
If I understand it, the blitz safe adapter plugs in between the CD changer and the radio, and you also plug your Sirius receiver into as well. Does this mean the Sirius unit is in the trunk as well, and you operate it solely via the remote; or is the Sirius unit up fron on the dash somewhere, and connected to the blitz safe adapter via a long RCA cable?

And when you say that the OEM changer is not compatible, what do you mean?

Sorry that I'm asking for all these details, but I also have an '01 and want to add Sirius, and am trying to figure out the best way to do it.

Thanks.

Wilkie

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
No problem, glad I am able to share my setup. The Sirius player is up front, connected to the blitzsafe adapter via a long cable and a Y cable the converts the mini plug into 2 RCA connectors. My unit has an orange display so it goes with the BMW motif. I will try and post some pics tomorrow.

As for the cd changer, the blitzsafe does not have the proper cable to connect to the oem changer, thus I had to go with another unit.

·
Registered
837 Posts
5driver said:
I, too, am contemplating adding some tinting. To mitigate Atlanta's summer heat, heat rejection is a key criterion in my decision making. I'm looking at Diamond metallic tinting, 35% on sides and 50% in rear to minimize likelihood of AM/FM signal degradation. Does anyone have any experience with these metallic %s?

If there are no signal problems, I may move my Sirius antenna from the rear roof to inside on the package shelf (on top of the center child restraint anchor). Here, again, does anyone have experience with the Sirius antenna beneath 50% metallic tint?

Fortunately, the installer will replace with non-metallic film (lifetime guarantee not to fade) at no charge if I have any (AM/FM/Sirius) problems. But, forewarned is forearmed.

Any advice/experience would be much appreciated.
5 Driver :7:
Could be wrong, but I thought ceramic tint has better heat rejection properties then metalized film, their was a good thread about this a few weeks ago, I recently installed hupor optic ceramic film on my car and I like it, Josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts