BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi John

I put my name down for the new M3 about a year ago and have cancelled it recently. I decided to order a M5 from Germany. I have just got the order through delivery is in Jan, the cost with nearly every extra is less then the proposed price of the new M3.
As for BMW dealers not accepting imported cars this is probaly just to protect their sales. An imported car with full UK spec is a parallel import and its spec is exactly the same as one bought from a UK dealer except the warranty is for one year not thre. I understand a two year extended warranty can be bought for about £1000.
As for ordering the M3 I think orders will be taken in September, the first UK cars are due for Spring 2001. But you may have a long wait as I the list will be long.
As for resale of an import the reg document shows the car to be first reg in the UK and as more imports are available on the used market they will be more acceptable to private buyers.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
John,
The rule of thumb that is being applied to parallel imports is: dealers apply the same level of discount to the trade in as was achieved on the import i.e. if you achieved a 25% saving, they would apply that to the trade in price of the equivalent UK supplied car. BMW dealers can confirm the source of the car by the chassis number.
Hope this helps ? Still worth doing !

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I have seen a lot of posts recently of people importing M5s into UK from continent. I am considering this for new M3 but am concerned about when I come to sell it. As I understand it the BMW dealers will not take in cars not supplied through their network and that would mean having to sell it privately which could be difficult with a car like M3/M5. Any thoughts?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts