BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I thought I'd ask the following query here considering the wealth of knowledge available.

I could be moving to the US in the not to distant future, however considering I just purchased a daily driver I do not want to leave behind, will I encounter any problems if I decide to bring my 2007 M5 E61 into the States with me?

If there are issues, I'd suspect they'd be related to the fact that the model isn't available in the US, emission laws especially if I was thinking of moving to California and maybe the lights. I've imported a few cars the other way without issues, however have heard horror stories of impounded cars and never ending red tape when trying to go Europe to US.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
There would be a lot of issues. Getting it federalized would mean changes to the ECU, the emissions control system, etc. Also since the M5 touring was never crash tested in the USA that would also be a problem.

·
4,385 Posts
There would be a lot of issues. Getting it federalized would mean changes to the ECU, the emissions control system, etc. Also since the M5 touring was never crash tested in the USA that would also be a problem.
i don't think it goes by individual models, but by chassis - and we did get the E61 5-series

·
Registered
642 Posts
I believe the laws are lest strict when the vehicle gets to be over 10 years old. It is for this reason many are starting to import Defenders into the US- lower priced than the NA models and you can get the diesel engine.

Just don't move to the US until 2017 and bring it over then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts