BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have an opportunity to purchase and import a Euro '93 M5 (not Canadian spec, but imported from Japan to Canada and registered in Canada) from Canada to the US (I'm in Houston, Texas). I know the requirements around paperwork: DOT/EPA, customs forms, but wanted to find out any gotchas that might be part of the process?

Would anyone who has successfully done this please either PM me or post? Feel free to PM if wanting to keep private.

Thanks in advance!
Jake

·
10,458 Posts
i don't think it's any easier than importing the car directly from europe. PM Gerg (greg) or EuroM5 (saliya) here as they have experience getting these cars legally into the US.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't think it's any easier than importing the car directly from europe. PM Gerg (greg) or EuroM5 (saliya) here as they have experience getting these cars legally into the US.

Ok sounds great. Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Also check out willz.ca

The only good thing about finding one of these cars in Canada is that you won't have to ship it across an ocean and the seller speaks english. It'll probably still cost on the low end of five figures to get it legal down here before 2017.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also check out willz.ca

The only good thing about finding one of these cars in Canada is that you won't have to ship it across an ocean and the seller speaks english. It'll probably still cost on the low end of five figures to get it legal down here before 2017.

Good point about the language. Interestingly the seller has done this before with an e30 M3 and seems to have no issues. He would potentially drive it to ny, go through customs there.

I think there is a bit of a loophole since if the car has a Canadian registration, it seems to be able to pass through customs as a Canadian spec car, cars older than '96, per DOT, allows Canadian spec cars to be imported since they would have a driver restraint system.

Question would be the speedo, although I've seen a few Euro cars that have sold recently with the kph cluster intact.
Thoughts?

·
10,458 Posts
Question would be the speedo, although I've seen a few Euro cars that have sold recently with the kph cluster intact.
Thoughts?
easy to swap the speedo head. Pull out cluster, open it up, and you can pull out the km speedo and slip a US m5 180 mph speedo in it's place.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
easy to swap the speedo head. Pull out cluster, open it up, and you can pull out the km speedo and slip a US m5 180 mph speedo in it's place.
Good point. I've pm'ed Gerg and also will call Saliya.

·
Registered
206 Posts
it'll cost you $10,000 -$12,000 and bunch of paperwork, better buying car already in the US...

Reactions: davem5fan

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
it'll cost you $10,000 -$12,000 and bunch of paperwork, better buying car already in the US...

Good point. I'll give you a call soon to discuss.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts