BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

I am intending to purchase an M5 Touring from Germany and then import it to the UK and register it here.

This passion mainly stems from the fact that I used to buy new Mercedes in Germany and bring them to the UK. (Before the UK prices were reduced).

I have always always wanted a Touring and, as they are not particularly expensive, it seems it would be a great trip too - mmmmm a Touring on the Autobahn :)

My question is, how much of a hassle is it to bring used Left Hand Drive cars from Germany to the UK - and are there any hidden "taxes" out there which will make it a waste of time?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Seems to be striaght forward. I had my M5 imported last year. You have to have a MOT done, there is a form from the DVLA you have to fill out and take to them along with you paying for this and TAX and then everything gets sent to you in the post.

Then you can buy your number plate and get the car insured on UK plates. But you should be able to insure the car on German plates with the VIN!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Many thanks for this. Is the tax you mention just road tax?

It just seems a great way to get an excellent car - right - time to start planning!

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Yup road TAX... This is how mine was sorted out. I got MCP Motorsport to import mine.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
[email protected]
MCP Motorsports might help you and/or even ML ??
is there not a link for 'privat imports' on the BMWCC GB web-site ??
-
do not forget to tell us once you've found your baby AND which one it is,
HAPPY HUNTING !!!
-
PS: there are quite a few of them in the UK already, perhaps one of them is
'for sale', price level in the UK is higher than in Germany but cars are also
normally better maintained in the UK - (actually the largest number of M5tourings are running in Sweden :confused2 YES indeed, more than in Germany :byebye: :viking:

brgds
Karl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts