BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just wondering if it's possible to purchase a M5 from a dealer in Europe without tax and ship it off to the US right away? Wouldn't that be cheaper than what some people are paying for second hand M5s in the US? are there any issues in doing that, such as emissions testing, etc?

·
Registered
88 Posts
You need to join uncle Sams jet jockeys here in the UK, order your car from the the local dealer full US spec. you dont pay the tax or vat which is a massive saving. leaving a price of £38610.00 or approx $58k
Then you need a friendly loadmaster to slip it on the next C5 Gallaxy back to Edwards.

No problem, your guys over here do it all the time.

Brian R.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There must be a different way to do that that to join the army... If you order a US spec M5 in Europe, would the waitlist be as long as in the US? I would think not... and you just have to find an importer to do the papers for you in the US right?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
No experience in this arena, but it's my understanding that military orders do get bumped down the queue for models that are in high demand.

As for importing a Euro-market car - there'd be a lot of work involved, but perhaps not so much as in older cars, the biggest issue is that you'd probably have BMWNA actively against you.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by tfung:
I'm just wondering if it's possible to purchase a M5 from a dealer in Europe without tax and ship it off to the US right away? Wouldn't that be cheaper than what some people are paying for second hand M5s in the US? are there any issues in doing that, such as emissions testing, etc?
Contact David Castilona at 561.747.3311 about importing a euro model and having him convert it to US spec. But, Global Imports(770.951.1119) has 2 on the showroom floor as we sit.

------------------

·
Registered
13,638 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Talked with a military friend of mine who station in Germany now.
Certainly not the case in terms of military order gets bumped down the list!! The guy sold 3 M5's a 2 Z8's already.
Oh, the cost of building a FULL US spec Z8 in Munich (after his military discount) is roughly $95,000US.
That's why there is a brand new Z8 on eBay selling at $150,000US with reserve met.
The trick however, is to bring the car over. With all the emission/tranny/speedo LOOK exactly like the US spec does not necessarily gaurantee you can import the car into North America right away. It's still a BMW International car and not a BMW North America car.
Friend of mine imported a Z1 way back when it was still a new car and waited 1.5 years prior to Custom release.

Notice that eBay listing says they will deliver the car to your US door/home, but they never did specify WHEN.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts