BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would post my experiences importing an M6 to Canada...

I'm in the middle of importing a 2008 M6 Coupe into Canada. Prices in the US are amazing compared to Canada. Here in Canada 2008 M6's are currently selling from $85k to $119k CDN (plus tax). Identical cars imported from the US can be bought at auction for $50K - 60kUSD.

I have run into two issues:

1) Gas Tax of $3000.00CDN ($4000.00 for 6 speed transmission) - bit annoying but paying the three grand will allow me to be at peace with the environment while flooring the V10...

2) BMW Canada is insisting that I change the instrument cluster and HVAC controls (show km only on dash, and Celsius for HVAC). They are charging a whopping $4100 (including tax) to do this.

Painful, but even after paying 6.1% duty, $3K Gas tax and $4100 to BMW for a new cluster , transportation, etc I still save a minumum of $20KUSD.

Any other Canadians out there who have gone through this and can share notes? Did you have to change your cluster and HVAC?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I import cars all the time from Canada. Give me a call and I would be happy to help you out. 403-605-6560 im located in Calgary! BMW canada are crooks and they like to dictate a few things that could be expensive there are ways around this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I noticed your post about importing M6s. I am actually from Calgary as well. I bought a 2006 m6 around 2 years ago in California, as I was down there for a project. I now want to drive the car up the Cali/Oregon coast into Calgary, and am not sure how to do this. I was hoping you could give me some guidance.

Do I have to cross a certain border to import the car?

If you could e-mail me at [email protected] that would be great.

Thanks,

·
Registered
456 Posts
Besides for BMW requiring cluster change, are there Canadian requirements to make this change?
Speedo has km on it and I think you can change other readings electronically.

Is there much of a market for M6's up there? I have 2 friends selling them right now.
Maybe we can make a deal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts