BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have had ANY problems whatsoever with: VANOS, brakes and/or clutch, on your E39 M5, please send me an e-mail ([email protected]) ASAP.

I will explain the reasons for me asking via mail to those of you responding. This is very important, and not a joke or a scam of any kind.

Best regards
Peter & Mark Gutniak

´99 M5
´99 320i
´93 525i

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, anyway can u tell us here? I don't own an E39 M5 (or anyone for that matter) but I would like to know what's wrong with ALL those elements. Should you require an email it's [email protected] or if u prefer i can email you first. How would you like it?!

thanks in adavance

pedro

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason for us not wanting to divulge why we´re asking for this info on this website at this time, is as Gustav said; "I don´t want any incorrect rumours circulating on the net because of this messageboard."

All will be revealed in due time, so please, Pedro and other interested readers, have patience. Right now, we´d only like everyone who OWNS an E39 M5 and has had problems with the car regarding the VANOS, clutch and/or brakes to contact us as soon as possible via mail at [email protected]

If you don´t own one but have an interest, you can of course send me a mail and I´ll make sure that you´ll get all the info you ask for at a later date. That is, if it doesn´t get published on the web. In any case, I´ll keep you posted.

Best regards,
Peter Gutniak

·
Registered
620 Posts
The only "problem" with the brakes is that they squeak quite loudly after they've been warmed up.
BTW, what are the symptoms for "VANOS problems" ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Examples of problems could be:
1. Brakes fading, mushy feeling in pedal and long pedal travelling distance.
2. VANOS noise, recognized as a loud ticking for a couple of seconds when you start your engine. Also, some cars may experience this kind of "diesel sounds" when running in idle.
3. Clutch feeling undistinct and mushy with short travelling distance until it engages.

These were just examples to clarify the kind of problems I´m looking for. But I would appreciate if anyone with a problem could mail me anyway.

Best regards
Peter Gutniak

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, thanks for replying Peter. I understand you only want to inform owners. Later, if it's not published here, please tell me so you can inform me by mail at [email protected] .

Thanks a lot

hope nobody has problems

pedro

·
Registered
158 Posts
i have a weird "thing" with mine.

if i clutch really hard (i mean "really" hard) - usually in an emergency situation - the clutch will go to the floor, hit its normal stop and then slip further down to the left. it's as if it's slipping past and to the left of the stop.

it's very disconcerting, especially in an emergency situation.

it only happens with what i would absolutely call excessive force being applied to the clutch.

is this a bug or an annoyance? haven't talked to my dealer about it yet.

shawn

·
Registered
11 Posts
in regard to the diesel sound..Spoke with mech.at comption sports cars in gt.tells me it normal..would hope you have done same so not to worry m5 owners..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
To Mr. dfleming

I have sent out info to those mailing me outside this MB. In that mail I give facts and also explain my reasons. Using that method I "know" who I´m talking to, unlike posting on an MB that anyone can read.

Best regards
Peter Gutniak

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Dear all,

This thread was initially created to collect other E39 M5 owners' experiences in order to force BMW here in Sweden to understand that the problems we faced weren´t one-offs. The response we got was overwhelming and helped us convince BMW Sweden to repair the car on warranty, which was our ultimate goal (no class action suit mind you...:nono::haha:). Today, many years have passed and the car is no longer with us in more than one way (It was sold some years later to a guy who crashed it pretty badly. I guess that the car was scrapped after that.).

Since I get some emails from time to time regarding vanos issues, please check the following thread, where remedies and explanations for that specific problem can be found:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...esel+sound+e39

I don´t have any other information than can be found above, nor do I consider myself a technical guru in that aspect, so any answers to your questions is better found on this MB.

Kind regards,
Peter

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a clutch issue but it had 60k on it. So I don't consider that too bad.

I had a Vanos related issue. Not sure exactly what is was as I don't have my paper work here with me. I do have the paperwork on it, just not were I am for the next couple of months.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My only problem is that I can't buy one fast enough.

hahahahaha, that's funny. I'm in the same boat. Looking like next spring/summer for me, so anyone in the MD, DC, VA, PA, DE area want to unload a red, grey, black, or blue E39 M5 next year keep me in mind. lol

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Appears to be a slow day on the message boards today :3:
---

Since I get some emails from time to time regarding these vanos issues, please check the following thread, where remedies and explanations for this specific problem can be found:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...esel+sound+e39

Please note that I sold my car many years ago, and that I have no new or other information than can be found on the link above.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.