BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine is a 2002 beast. After stopping for lunch, I tried to start it. The ignition sequence lasted (dash lights on, etc.) two seconds then everything was dead. Engine never turned over and now car is completely immobilized. Nothing works and I can't even get in the trunk.

Can anyone offer advice?

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Most probably......

Your battery completely died (not unusual - when they go, they can go all of a sudden). Have you tried using your key to manually open trunk??

·
Registered
32 Posts
10$ says its your battery. My battery died ALL OF A SUDDEN out of nowhere really and had the same symptoms. Don't bother jump starting with anything less of a tank. This car needs gobs of power to get it cranking.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the responses. The battery is only one year old, I would think it would last a little longer. Also, my key won't open the trunk.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
Battery could be faulty .. it has been known to happen.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
Battery Woes

Two summers ago, back in my S2 days, I had a concurrent alternator/battery faillure on my way home from Jones Beach. BMW had it towed to Habberstad where I left it. They took care of it under the CPO warranty and the service rep described the failure as sort of a chicken & egg thing. Not sure if the alternator went bad and cooked the battery or the battery faulted and killed the alternator.:dunno:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, BKH you are correct. I got the trunk open but it is late so I will try to jump it tomorrow. Any comments on jumping one of these things off?

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
I would try to avoid jump starting your M5. Although guys/gals here have done it, you can fry your sensitive electronics if something goes wrong. And, occasionally it does. (Like an intermittant battery connection.)

Slow charge it, and try to start again using the starter ... or coast down a hill if one is available to you.

The Owner's Manual devotes 3 pages (and 10 steps) to jump starting ... I would read it first.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Battery Connection Problems - Loss of Power on Start-up

Recently my 2000 often goes "dead" after I turn past position 2 to start it. I consistently have to go into my trunk and wiggle the positive connection terminal to get power back on.

Each time I also re-tighten the positive terminal connection but it seems to have an issue since the connector can't go all the down over the terminal like it does for the negative side due to the lay of the cables. Also, The battery is less than a year old - so no problem there.

My concern - could this actually be a bad cable issue (sounds expensive) if the positive cable needs to be replaced.
Also, has anyone heard of the car going dead while driving with these symptoms instead of only during starting it up? I hope not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts