BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got two new rears last week, and a noticed a very thin line through the center of the tires.

Then, I saw the sidewalls. They say "Michelin Pilot Sport" then "MO"

I check it out on the internet to see what the MO is all about, and MO means they are designed specifically for Mercedes Benz.

I have Benz tires on my M5 now? Oh boy. And that thin line through the middle of the tires irritates me along with the thought that I have Benz tires (nothing against Benz though). I think some other parts of the tires are different as well.

·
Registered
397 Posts
jajo said:
I got two new rears last week, and a noticed a very thin line through the center of the tires.

Then, I saw the sidewalls. They say "Michelin Pilot Sport" then "MO"

I check it out on the internet to see what the MO is all about, and MO means they are designed specifically for Mercedes Benz.

I have Benz tires on my M5 now? Oh boy. And that thin line through the middle of the tires irritates me along with the thought that I have Benz tires (nothing against Benz though). I think some other parts of the tires are different as well.
thats very interesting, i was unaware they made tires for specific companies

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
///M_CHAP said:
thats very interesting, i was unaware they made tires for specific companies

http://www.michelinman.com/assets/pdfs/doc_pilotsportps2.pdf

Yep. Not sure what the differences are, if any. Sometimes difference can be very dramatic... helps with specsmanship (car marques can get great reviews and performance with a specialty tire) then they sell the standard tire as replacement...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yep, Yoko has special tires for the Lotus Elise, designed to get sticky at lower temps since the car is so much lighter. The sidewalls of my A048s are marked with LTS.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, and Yokos make a tire that go specifically on Evos. My brother had them on the car when he bought it, but I persuaded him to go PS2

·
Registered
931 Posts
jajo said:
Where did you get your tires???? I would think the seller would have said something. This is a concern to me. I have bought tires (PS2) from Tire Rack and TireSavings.com at different times and luckily they came in as expected. I was not aware of different specs. within the brand style. I knew that tires were made for specific car models, but I thought it only related to size.

Now that I think about it, the front tires that came on my Porsche (third owner) are Pilot Sport, but they have a different tread as to the new rear Pilot Sport tires.... :3:

I will try and be more careful when ordering new tires :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Good info for those about to buy tires. You're going to have one cushy ride now ;)
Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
3 'Yep's in a row...
:)

Anyone know of differences with this particular tire? (The PS2 with MO designation)

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, that was 3 yep's in a row :)

I got the tires from a local tire shop. They have always treated me good, and therefore I can't take them back to them. Plus, $600 for 2 tires + mounting + balancing. Not too bad of a deal, but still freaking expensive. Gotta pay to play, right?

If I got the tires at NTB or a shop I don't usually deal with, I would be sure to get new tires. Next time, I'll ask for "BMW" PS2's :)

I really don't think performance will be hindered too much, though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts