BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just excited to be in my old stomping grounds with the wifey and the beast :7: ..so here are some photos...more to come.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
That ///M5 *really* improves the look at that hotel... ;-)

Reactions: D-RodM5

·
Registered
968 Posts
Looks like the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. One of my favorite hotels with my favorite car outside. Have a great time and have a drink and the grouper at Monty Trainers for me in the Grove.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Welcome back to South FL, man! Gorgeous weather we have lately...and nice snaps of the Beast and the Biltmore!!

:cheers:

Sean Paul

Reactions: D-RodM5

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Ah, the Biltmore. Brings back memories. That is where the valet jockey took my beast for a joyride on the morning of checkout and fried the clutch! They ended up renting me a car for a week or so and paying $2800 at the dealer for all new clutch and flywheel!

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Ah, the Biltmore. Brings back memories. That is where the valet jockey took my beast for a joyride on the morning of checkout and fried the clutch! They ended up renting me a car for a week or so and paying $2800 at the dealer for all new clutch and flywheel!

Regards,
Jerry
I am certain they tried to deny any involvement with their jockey's actions. How'd you prove it and get them to swallow a $3k bill?

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Cool - my brother got married at the Biltmore around 1983 if I recall - I saw Rod Stewart out by the big pool - said, "Hey Rockin' Rod!" - he said "Hi Mate." - was with Anita Eckberg at the time - big time looker...

Car is cool too!

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
I am certain they tried to deny any involvement with their jockey's actions. How'd you prove it and get them to swallow a $3k bill?
Well, I got a little lucky. Car came up after waiting for well over 1/2 hour. Cars are parked 100 yards away. The heat was shimmering off the hood for what should have been a cold start and 100 yard drive. I could smell something burning (first thought was brakes) . Called manager over IMMEDIATELY (after waiting all that time, they were aware of that). He didn't seem to think there was an issue. I decided to move the car after showing him, as it was sticking out. Luckily, the clutch was totally fried and not just slipping!!

I am now about 2 seconds from going ballistic, but I hold it together. I explain that a run from the parking area to here should not cause any heat and note the inop clutch. He now seems to be paying attention.

He sends me for a second breakfast and then about 20 minutes later comes to get me. He says he is arranging a car rental, but there is still an issue about whether the car was "like that" when I drove in the night before. I asked how could I drive it in like that the night and the valet park it with no clutch? Wouldn't the valet have noted that????? Duh.........

He then tried to explain that the valet was a concession and the hotel was separate. I told him I dropped my car off at the hotel entrance to stay at that hotel. That was when I put my lawyer hat on and said fine. I would call my buddy who is a local lawyer and we were going to hold a press conference touting how "high end hotel ruins customer exotic car". I said I was pretty sure I could get some nice newspaper coverage as I had spent the previous night there attending a big $$$ black tie fundraiser. I said I would let him explain to people who inquired about the difference between the hotel and the separate parking concession.

30 minutes later I got approval to have the entire repair done by the local dealer! They ended up using a different dealer (I really didn't care) and they paid full retail (like i was going to offer my BMW CCA discount!).

I will say once they were convinced that I wasn't conning them, they did handle things nicely. The dealer billed the hotel and took possession of the rental car. Other than the extra trip to Miami to return the rental and pick up my car (and the tediousl 1000 mile clutch break in), it was ultimately handled well.

Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow man, what a crazy story. one has to be careful who the keys are handed to, a lot of younger guys valet-ing very high end cars around here and they like to take advantage where they can. Good to hear it was not out of your pocket!!

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Weird double post.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looks like the Biltmore Hotel in Coral Gables. One of my favorite hotels with my favorite car outside. Have a great time and have a drink and the grouper at Monty Trainers for me in the Grove.
Will do! Already got a boys night out planned..hehehe..cherrsagai

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I should mention my wife and I made the drive from MO (2.5 days) and the car was flawless, no issues so far! The only stressful part is the traffic here in Miami..ugh. I was having lunch earlier today with my cousin in a small restaurant and a guy walking by i noticed did a double take on the car (i managed to park right in front and sit next to a front window), scoped it out, and took a picture and kept on...my cousin said to me, don't you feel like a celebrity! i thought that was funny kinggf The one thing i love about Miami is all the cars I'm going to see (of course seeing family is #1)! Spotted a newer gen M3 by Bayside earlier ..drove around the AA arena..see below..and I've already spotted 3 Panameras while driving...handful of souped up Porsches and a F430....it just doesn't end :wroom:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
Well, I got a little lucky. Car came up after waiting for well over 1/2 hour. Cars are parked 100 yards away. The heat was shimmering off the hood for what should have been a cold start and 100 yard drive. I could smell something burning (first thought was brakes) . Called manager over IMMEDIATELY (after waiting all that time, they were aware of that). He didn't seem to think there was an issue. I decided to move the car after showing him, as it was sticking out. Luckily, the clutch was totally fried and not just slipping!!

I am now about 2 seconds from going ballistic, but I hold it together. I explain that a run from the parking area to here should not cause any heat and note the inop clutch. He now seems to be paying attention.

He sends me for a second breakfast and then about 20 minutes later comes to get me. He says he is arranging a car rental, but there is still an issue about whether the car was "like that" when I drove in the night before. I asked how could I drive it in like that the night and the valet park it with no clutch? Wouldn't the valet have noted that????? Duh.........

He then tried to explain that the valet was a concession and the hotel was separate. I told him I dropped my car off at the hotel entrance to stay at that hotel. That was when I put my lawyer hat on and said fine. I would call my buddy who is a local lawyer and we were going to hold a press conference touting how "high end hotel ruins customer exotic car". I said I was pretty sure I could get some nice newspaper coverage as I had spent the previous night there attending a big $$$ black tie fundraiser. I said I would let him explain to people who inquired about the difference between the hotel and the separate parking concession.

30 minutes later I got approval to have the entire repair done by the local dealer! They ended up using a different dealer (I really didn't care) and they paid full retail (like i was going to offer my BMW CCA discount!).

I will say once they were convinced that I wasn't conning them, they did handle things nicely. The dealer billed the hotel and took possession of the rental car. Other than the extra trip to Miami to return the rental and pick up my car (and the tediousl 1000 mile clutch break in), it was ultimately handled well.

Regards,
Jerry
This is precisely why I do not valet. If they require it, I insist on parking the car right up front and I snap a picture of the odometer/trip meter and tell them that if the car needs to be moved, I'll be _____ please come get me. I have yet to be refused.

·
Registered
12,952 Posts
Wow man, what a crazy story. one has to be careful who the keys are handed to, a lot of younger guys valet-ing very high end cars around here and they like to take advantage where they can. Good to hear it was not out of your pocket!!
Funny thing was there were some real exotics, Lambos, Ferrari's, P cars, etc. Either bad luck for me, or I had to get a valet jockey with uncanny good taste in cars!hiha

I rarely valet park, but at a place like the Biltmore, with so many nice cars, I felt pretty comfortable. Just goes to show........:(

Regards,
Jerry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts