BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Also going to replace the cam postiion sensors for preventative reasons, should I just have all four done at once? Has anyone heard of the Meyle brand, they are a German aftermarket company? Their sensors are $100 less each compared to the OEM BMW part.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
T-stat and preventative CPS's? Might as well do the crank sensor, MAF's, spark plugs, plasma coils, all hoses and water pump, and probably timing chain guides as well. After all, you'll have the plenum off...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
T-stat and preventative CPS's? Might as well do the crank sensor, MAF's, spark plugs, plasma coils, all hoses and water pump, and probably timing chain guides as well. After all, you'll have the plenum off...
Within the last 1000 miles I have done the center support bearing, rear main seal, new plugs, pre cat 02's, secondary air pump, MAFs, and fuel filter. Cam position sensors, thermostat and water pump should do the trick for now, I hope.

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
You can do the Tstat without pulling the plenum housing.

You need at least 6 of the large O-rings and you should be fine with the 2 smaller O-rings. You will likely break at least 1 of the larger O-rings unless you are REALLY careful.

Recommend putting the small coolant tubes in the block then drop stat housing down and flat, then insert the coolant tubes into the stat housing, if you do this on an angle, you WILL break at least 1 O-ring.

As for other things to do when replacing the stat, oil return lines, oil seperator cleaning or replacement. Possibly the lower oil return hose if it can be replaced without the water pump removed??

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do the Tstat without pulling the plenum housing.

You need at least 6 of the large O-rings and you should be fine with the 2 smaller O-rings. You will likely break at least 1 of the larger O-rings unless you are REALLY careful.

Recommend putting the small coolant tubes in the block then drop stat housing down and flat, then insert the coolant tubes into the stat housing, if you do this on an angle, you WILL break at least 1 O-ring.

As for other things to do when replacing the stat, oil return lines, oil seperator cleaning or replacement. Possibly the lower oil return hose if it can be replaced without the water pump removed??
Thanks, do you happen to have part numbers for those?

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Waterpump ? Thermostat BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62) ? BMW parts catalog - #8 and the temp sensor worth doing at the same time, #11.

Cooling System Water Hoses BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62) ? BMW parts catalog - O-rings, #9 (4 needed but buy more as per the above comment).
Lubrication system, engine oil cooling BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62) ? BMW parts catalog - other O-rings, #11, again worth buying more for the small cost they are.

Crankcase-Ventilation/oil separator BMW 5' E39, M5 (S62) ? BMW parts catalog - Clean or replace #1 and 2 (these are the seperators), oil return lines - #9 and 10. Check for condition by seeing if they feel soft to squeeze.

The thing is, you're going to get into the 'while that's off, I'll do that, and if that's off too, I may as well do that' scenario, but I think the above are generally done at the same time for the sake of it.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Wow. I don't think I'd bother replacing CPS unless they were giving me problems or throwing codes.

The OP might get more accurate suggestions if he posted the mileage of the car...

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts