BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'll be taken the beast to the drag strip on the 28th for the first time ever. I really need your inputs on what i should do and dont do!

I have put on a brand new set of BFGoodrich Drag radials, got all the bugs sorted out and will be running on racing fuel!

So.. the question is...

1.How to launch? What RPM and whether to pop the clutch or ease off?
2. When to floor it?
3. Shoudl I power shift or not?
4. Stick trackbite is gonna make a bog difference to traction?
5. Should i warm the tires up on the water box?

and any other tips would be appreacited!

I have seen vette C6's pop their differential, and drag cars break shafts etc etc... its the last thing i want to happen to the ///M!!!

·
Registered
12,865 Posts
Osodog said:
Can't help you with the your questions but would like to see a video of it with lots of sound!:flag::flag:
ELEVENS has plenty of drag racing experience. PM him if he doesn't pick up this thread.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Ahmed said:
Hi guys,

1.How to launch? What RPM and whether to pop the clutch or ease off?
I think the best with stock tires is at or just above 1K rpm. With drag radials, you can launch at higher rpm. However, I wouldn't go to 4K rpm or you risk trearing up your rear or other damage. It's a delicate balance of not frying the clutch and getting good traction.
2. When to floor it?
On other cars (I haven't tracked the M yet) I've always genlty floored it right out of the hole while slipping the clutch a bit. Others will tell you differently.
3. Should I power shift or not?
I always use the clutch and make quick shifts by poping out the clutch very quickly. It's a quick 'stab' at the clutch. Just don't miss the gear and over rev the engine.
4. Stick trackbite is gonna make a bog difference to traction?
Probably but you must be careful. Too much bite will tear your car up.
5. Should i warm the tires up on the water box?
Stock tires = No. Drag radials/Slicks = Yes.

and any other tips would be appreacited!

Take it easy on the first pass to get accustomed to the procedure. Don't ever worry about the guy next to you. Don't ever worry about the reaction time...it means nothing. You are trying to get your best time, not race the guy next to you. If you are comfortable by letting him get down the track 500ft. before you launch, then do so. Your 60' time is critical to a good 1/4 mile time. Every 1/10th you shave off the launch (60' time), you shave 2/10th's off the 1/4 mile.
Oh, and you'll need a helmet.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Try searching through ELEVEN's posts. I remember he created a thread for the drag strip and how he managed to get the 12.8 in stock form.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
rpms should be 1900-2000 to start

racing fuel doesn't equate with more power in most cases

Unocal 100 seemed to be an improvement but worked best when
blended with 1/2 of a premium 91-22 gas. Unocal 100 made for
better throttle response and only slightly greater peak power

I tried 104 octane and the car did not feel nearly as fast

More octane doesn't necessarily mean more power.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Try HERE

Good luck and let us know all of the details! :M5launch:

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank You Thank You Thank YOU!

Just one question, what are the chances of damaging diffs and drive shafts? Keep in mind that i have drag radials on.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Ahmed said:
Thank You Thank You Thank YOU!

Just one question, what are the chances of damaging diffs and drive shafts? Keep in mind that i have drag radials on.
Hey Ahmed,

Good luck. Remember if you start to get axel hop, ABORT, ABORT ABORT.

Most breakages are because people try and power through Axel HOP, do NOT do that in the beast, or you will break EVERYTHING.

As far as launch RPM"S there is a very good reason why so many different responses.

The People who start at a very LOW RPM, are actually increases revs as the clutch is coming out.

The ones that start at a higher RPM, are waiting until it hooks up before adding more RPM's.

Even though they may not be conscience that they are doing it.

If you truely launched a car at 1,000 RPM without gradualy adding as you let more clutch out, you would either BOG down, or have a very slow launch.

So basically Everyone CAN be Right.

You just have to match it with your own style.

If you have an itchy right foot, then start at a lower RPM.

If you have a rock solid right foot, then start higher.

IF you have a very good clutch ( :hihi: ) Then you can slip it at the launch, and start with much higher RPM's.

If you have a stock clutch, DO not do this, as you will Toast it.

Last piece of advice, Don't forget to have FUN. :M5launch:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts