BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware that BAT is very popular but I can't stand all those "know it all" asking stupid questions and raising hell if you don't answer in 5 minutes. I'm all about informing the potential buyer as long as the request is reasonable. But some of this jokers on BAT are literally there the whole time and it's obvious they are not interested in buying the car but just feeding their own ego.

I'll probably stick to the combination of ebay, craigslist and Autotrader.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I would say to try and ignore the "know it alls" on Bring a Trustfund and go for it. You will probably make the most money there. I sold a e24 M6 on BaT and it went pretty smooth.
If you really can't stand it maybe just try it on this board first? To me nothing is better than buying a car from another knowledgeable enthusiast.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You can forget about eBay and Autotrader. They are worthless.
Craigslist is even more so, especially for M5.

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
BaT is still probably the best venue regardless of the peanut gallery. Many sellers ignore the idiot comments, and those sellers generally have a fine successful auction. They water the plants they want to grow and starve the rest. It's a mistake trying to respond as a seller to every comment which is somewhat what I did when I sold my M5 there. In the end I still had a great result, and my buyer was obviously mature and educated enough to see through the flak. Don't underestimate legitimate buyers there.

However, I'm pretty sure BaT is mostly holding back E39 M5 auction acceptances since the car isn't doing well sales-wise in the past couple of months. At least for the short term, the peak hysteria for the M5 was in about 12-18 months ago when all the media attention appeared after years of price appreciation for quality cars. I think BaT recently went something like 9 out of 10 (or 11) E39 M5s in a row than didn't meet reserve.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would say to try and ignore the "know it alls" on Bring a Trustfund and go for it. You will probably make the most money there. I sold a e24 M6 on BaT and it went pretty smooth.
If you really can't stand it maybe just try it on this board first? To me nothing is better than buying a car from another knowledgeable enthusiast.
That is true, I somehow forgot about our own for sale platform.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can forget about eBay and Autotrader. They are worthless.
Craigslist is even more so, especially for M5.
Yeah, it'd be even worse than BAT in some ways. I think CSBM5 is probably right although it takes an effort to ignore "google search experts" there.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BaT is still probably the best venue regardless of the peanut gallery. Many sellers ignore the idiot comments, and those sellers generally have a fine successful auction. They water the plants they want to grow and starve the rest. It's a mistake trying to respond as a seller to every comment which is somewhat what I did when I sold my M5 there. In the end I still had a great result, and my buyer was obviously mature and educated enough to see through the flak. Don't underestimate legitimate buyers there.

However, I'm pretty sure BaT is mostly holding back E39 M5 auction acceptances since the car isn't doing well sales-wise in the past couple of months. At least for the short term, the peak hysteria for the M5 was in about 12-18 months ago when all the media attention appeared after years of price appreciation for quality cars. I think BaT recently went something like 9 out of 10 (or 11) E39 M5s in a row than didn't meet reserve.
Thank you for very thoughtful reply. BAT has its drawbacks but there is a group of mature serious buyers there, I have to admit that. My M5 is modified although most here would probably agree tastefully so. But I'm aware I'll never recuperate the headers and associated parts cost. But also the brand new OEM wheels from BMW are certainly a nice touch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
M5Board itself isn't too bad I think.
BaT is alright, if you don't have a reserve, people tend to back out and go for lower prices.
BaT has a NO RESERVE tag on no reserve cars, if you don't have a perfect condition car it might not be a bad idea.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
M5Board itself isn't too bad I think.
BaT is alright, if you don't have a reserve, people tend to back out and go for lower prices.
BaT has a NO RESERVE tag on no reserve cars, if you don't have a perfect condition car it might not be a bad idea.
Mine is in extremely good condition and I really can back that up with facts. I'd definitely wouldn't try no reserve, really a not risk taker. I'm in Chattanooga TN, about the same distance from relatively 4 big cities: Atlanta, Nashville, Knoxville and Birmingham. My hope would be an enthusiast willing to take 1.5-2.5 hour drive to check out my beast.
I believe these few pictures between many will speak volumes how I took care of this beauty when I post it for sale:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Nice. Should do well on BaT actually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Gotta tell you though, a real nice Imola M5 only bid up to $30000.
You sure did a lot of maintenance though, I hope you can get a decent price over there.
GLWS

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotta tell you though, a real nice Imola M5 only bid up to $30000.
You sure did a lot of maintenance though, I hope you can get a decent price over there.
GLWS
Thank you. I'm well aware that you can never recuperate the expensive upgrades like mine but I did all of my work and I got everything on sale so that should ease the financial pain.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
There have been a lot of E39 M5's on BaT lately - I think combination of saturated market and winter slow down - lots of cars aren't selling on there this time of year.

Also - put an add in Roundel - it takes a month to get up there but that publication has a lot of reach and lots of people don't always look at the on-line adds but see it in the magazine. Don't discount AT and CL - those are still how I move almost all of my cars including the Imola 03 M5 I sold two years ago.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
There have been a lot of E39 M5's on BaT lately - I think combination of saturated market and winter slow down - lots of cars aren't selling on there this time of year.

Also - put an add in Roundel - it takes a month to get up there but that publication has a lot of reach and lots of people don't always look at the on-line adds but see it in the magazine. Don't discount AT and CL - those are still how I move almost all of my cars including the Imola 03 M5 I sold two years ago.
I use to have the membership but I dropped it. You're right, there are serious gear heads on Roundel. I've actually started with ebay ad and craigslist and I may do some other ones. The important thing is I'm in no hurry and only drive it on nice days so mileage won't go up much.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up my M5 on BaT this past August and feel like I got a steal, perhaps due to market saturation, but my gut tells me the location (suburban Pittsburgh, PA) played a significant determinant in final price. I wasn’t going to bid on a car that I couldn’t first see in person so I lucked-out being located near the car. And I don’t think many others around Pgh were looking for an M5 at the time...general demographic here is driving an F150 or Kia.
So I think you’re smart to try eBay and CL first (although CL tends to generate mostly scams) or even this forum. I wouldn’t totally discount AutoTrader either, for the small price to list a basic ad. Good luck, looks beautiful!

·
Registered
184 Posts
$32,000... i think your car is worth that from someone thats in a hurry to buy an M5. There’s a lot of negs i see that other “purists” may not have a taste for and with that i think you’ll gain a lot of mid to low 20’s offers. The color is the most prominent of all, the aftermarket oil gauge, square mirror, and rubber mats are hard to swallow. Over a 100k miles is a deal breaker for most, regardless of maintenance people don’t want a $32k car with over a 100k miles. You’ll NEVER get back money from maintenance or basic mods.

Got mine in 09 with 70k miles for $14,500 if thats something to ponder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
$32,000... i think your car is worth that from someone thats in a hurry to buy an M5. There’s a lot of negs i see that other “purists” may not have a taste for and with that i think you’ll gain a lot of mid to low 20’s offers. The color is the most prominent of all, the aftermarket oil gauge, square mirror, and rubber mats are hard to swallow. Over a 100k miles is a deal breaker for most, regardless of maintenance people don’t want a $32k car with over a 100k miles. You’ll NEVER get back money from maintenance or basic mods.

Got mine in 09 with 70k miles for $14,500 if thats something to ponder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I understand your point of view but either 3 of negs you're listed are easily reversible. Like you said, 100k miles + is probably toughest pill to swallow but on other hand when I see what people want for around 60K miles stock ones, IMO that is even more ludicrous. My main advantage is I'm fine if it doesn't sell and i'I'll just be patient.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I picked up my M5 on BaT this past August and feel like I got a steal, perhaps due to market saturation, but my gut tells me the location (suburban Pittsburgh, PA) played a significant determinant in final price. I wasn’t going to bid on a car that I couldn’t first see in person so I lucked-out being located near the car. And I don’t think many others around Pgh were looking for an M5 at the time...general demographic here is driving an F150 or Kia.
So I think you’re smart to try eBay and CL first (although CL tends to generate mostly scams) or even this forum. I wouldn’t totally discount AutoTrader either, for the small price to list a basic ad. Good luck, looks beautiful!
I'm with you, I don't think I could buy a car unseen. I only put it on ebay for people to see who are they dealing with and hopefully get somebody to look a the car. I'd feel much better with sale that way

·
Registered
112 Posts
What exactly is BAT? I am considering selling my E60 M5 (with a heap of upgrades/new bearings, actuators etc) in Vegas.. never heard of BAT.

Thanks
Jen

1 - 20 of 24 Posts