BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many thanks to everyone who helped me here, I was finally able to get DIS to work last night. If I can help anyone get this setup please PM me!

So my DIS question is what exactly is everyone using DIS to do? I mainly wanted it to check my VANOS but I noticed it has a ton of tests. What have you all found most helpful with DIS?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
more info?
I have been working to get GT1/DIS 44 working for a solid week. I have had INPA running for a couple of weeks but could not get DIS to communicate. I had to switch to an older laptop with XP on it to finally be successful.

My wife was less than happy that my head had been stuck in a PC screen all week trying to figure it out. hiha

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Can you share the installation files, necessary files/cables. I'm assuming you needed xp because it's designed to run on a 32 bit system.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Agentman, glad you got it working.

I have tried two $20 eBay cables that are silver in color. I have been able to connect in INPA and even compete the VANOS test in DIS but am plagued with communication errors. I have ordered the $99 black cable that is recommended by a few guides. It may arrive by the weekend!

Which cable are you using? Any tips you may have? Have you seen any errors accompany functionality or were you stuck completely without XP? I have XP SP3 X86. Workstation 10 I believe. Pretty basic.

I have all the files and can share them as well. There are multiple ways to skin this cat though (different versions do different things, etc). It requires patience. And some know how. Good luck. It's a great tool.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I have almost all BMW programs working. Windows 7 x86 worked best for me, and I had to format my PC at least 10 times to get everything to work.
eBay silver OBD cable works perfect for me, you just have to solder a bridge between pin 7&8 to enable K-Line.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I know Agentman personally - I can confirm he's neither broke nor divorced.

I can also confirm he has enough free time to figure this stuff out. :)

Now he gets to show me how to get all this stuff running.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Here's a user's guide for DIS. A bit basic but it gets you started.

View attachment BMW DIS Users Manual.pdf

By the way, watch out for the CLEAR ADAPTATIONS line in the Service Functions. When I did this with the engine running, the DME immediately went into failsafe mode, set scary codes A3 and 9E for DME faults, and the engine died. It gave me a helluva fright. And it didn't reset the adaptations.

I figured it was because I did it with the engine running so I tried again with with key on, engine off. It did exactly the same thing (except for the engine quitting bit). So I use INPA for resetting adaptations now.

·
Registered
395 Posts
You can use the adaption reset in DIS without a problem, but NEVER with an engine running !

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If someone has a good host site I can upload all the installation files necessary and a very nice PDF guide I have that explains exactly step by step how to install DIS.

The biggest thing for me was getting a copy of VMware Workstation 6.5. I tried and tried it with VMware Player with no success. I went to workstation and VOILA it worked.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know Agentman personally - I can confirm he's neither broke nor divorced.

I can also confirm he has enough free time to figure this stuff out. :)

Now he gets to show me how to get all this stuff running.
hihaOnce I have my mind set to figure something out, work has to be put on the back burner!

I'll bring all this down when we do your headers!

·
Registered
359 Posts
If someone has a good host site I can upload all the installation files necessary and a very nice PDF guide I have that explains exactly step by step how to install DIS.

The biggest thing for me was getting a copy of VMware Workstation 6.5. I tried and tried it with VMware Player with no success. I went to workstation and VOILA it worked.
I'd be glad to make them available on Google drive.

I am using VMWare Workstation 10 because I couldn't find 6. Think that could be an issue? What versions of INPA, EDIABAS, DIS, SSS, etc are you running?

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you have Windows 7 Pro, you can download Windows XP Mode and run everything you need.
I can get my hands on any windows version around, but I have tried XP Pro SP3 and 7 Pro SP1 both in X86 flavor. I consider myself computer savvy, especially with virtualization and networking and I have never had so much trouble doing anything as I have trying to get DIS running right. Pretty frustrating.

·
Registered
6,201 Posts
I can get my hands on any windows version around, but I have tried XP Pro SP3 and 7 Pro SP1 both in X86 flavor. I consider myself computer savvy, especially with virtualization and networking and I have never had so much trouble doing anything as I have trying to get DIS running right. Pretty frustrating.
If you have 7 Pro SP1 X86 installed ... did you run the app as administrator and compatibility mode, selecting windows XP ?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'd be glad to make them available on Google drive.

I am using VMWare Workstation 10 because I couldn't find 6. Think that could be an issue? What versions of INPA, EDIABAS, DIS, SSS, etc are you running?
I cant use PM yet on here, email me at sabe(at)nelsoncountyinsurance.com and I will shoot you my phone number. I can text today but wont be by my PC a lot. I'll try to help

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry fellas my grandmother suffered a stroke this afternoon shortly after I posted on here and I have been at the hospital with her all day. I will get back to you all as soon as I can and get all the files hosted properly and complete instructions.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If you are able to upload the .vmdk image file, you are finished. But is is 19 GB.
You only need to create a print screen of the network adapter settings in windows and it will work. This is how I am installing DIS and Progman on other laptops.

Only requirement is a working INPA 6.04 installation.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts