BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I live in Los Angeles and went to a tire place called "Wesco" and they will sell me and mount 4 Michelin Pilot Sports PS2's for $1180.oo plus tax.

Is this a fair price?

·
Banned
136 Posts
greer said:
Hi Guys,

I live in Los Angeles and went to a tire place called "Wesco" and they will sell me and mount 4 Michelin Pilot Sports PS2's for $1180.oo plus tax.

Is this a fair price?
That is a pretty decent price. I just got brand new PS2's from America's Tire (aka Discount Tire) for a couple hundred more than that. But they have a lifetime warranty, that's why I went there instead.

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
$1014 at Tire Rack plus shipping.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
7,578 Posts

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
greer said:
Tire Rack has the best prices, but where do I get the tires mounted?
I have NEVER had a local discount tire shop fail to meet (and beat by $20) the tirerack price.

(And what in the heck is a 'lifetime warranty' on tires??? I think all tires have a lifetime defect warranty, and you can buy the lifetime road hazard from everyone...)

And in any event, your price ties or beats tirerack- add $20 a tire to ship, add $25 to mount and balance (Hunter 9700)

A

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I just put on my second set of PS2's. My first set lasted one year! I was very surprised becaue that was about 11000 miles and I only got 7500 - 8000 from the SO3's I used first. I bought them from a local shop and paid around $1100 mounted and balanced, including tax.

:cheers:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
XrayMD said:
I just put on my second set of PS2's. My first set lasted one year! I was very surprised becaue that was about 11000 miles and I only got 7500 - 8000 from the SO3's I used first. I bought them from a local shop and paid around $1100 mounted and balanced, including tax.

:cheers:
I've stayed with Pilot Sports because they were OEM on my car, and the first set lasted 20,000 miles, the second set 25,000 miles, and now the third set has about 13,000 miles and still looks good. Maybe I'm not pushing the car enough... :flag:

·
Registered
13,017 Posts
ard said:
I have NEVER had a local discount tire shop fail to meet (and beat by $20) the tirerack price.

And in any event, your price ties or beats tirerack- add $20 a tire to ship, add $25 to mount and balance (Hunter 9700)

A
Most people forget about shipping and balancing, good point! Typically my local shop meets or comes real close to TR. And if I have a problem, it is handled quickly and easily. So TR does have great pricing, but don't forget to add in all the extras to get the "true" price.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
7,578 Posts
Shipping is more in the range of $8/tire in my experience.

·
Registered
12,393 Posts
gsfent said:
Most people forget about shipping and balancing, good point! Typically my local shop meets or comes real close to TR. And if I have a problem, it is handled quickly and easily. So TR does have great pricing, but don't forget to add in all the extras to get the "true" price.
Regards,
Jerry
I had that broken wheel thing a while back- went in to the shop I use for 4 other cars and they dismoutned the tire, and remounted it on the other rim- plus balanced it. I asked how much and the mgr said don't worry about it, you'll be back for all four in 5k miles (smile).

I made them find blocks to correctly capture the jack points, made sure they hand torqued- I gave the kid that did it $10. He flippped out. (THis is NOT the Bay Area/ LA :) )

Building relationships- a bit of a lost art in our personal lives especially larger metro areas... When I call back and say "Hey Chris, Adam here- time to price 4 PS2s" you can bet the price will be spot on with any other low retail source. (I'll check, though)

A

PS Don't think that I pay $200 more for a set of tires to get this treatment- every deal is pretty close to the best price- they just know I will use them reliably a few times a year.

PPS Chuck- close on the shipping price, especially in Northern CA where they have close warehouses in Reno. greer is down in LA, so it shouldn't be much more.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Tire Rack does have some of the best prices on PS2s, but check the age of those "new" tires. They shipped me a set that were not matched by age (DOT)- and the fronts were over four years old. Tire age may be no big deal if you burn a set off in a weekend, but mine last over a year. After five phone calls TR refunded $200 of the sales price.

·
Registered
548 Posts
greer said:
Hi Guys,

Is this a fair price?
Hey greer, I want those "woren out" Dunlops of yours ;)

Also, still got my FRS radio??!! :D Please check your PM.

beewang :2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
My local shop here in Virginia matched 'out the door' price of TireRack. The tires were a little less, but sales tax was more.. but no shipping cost. They netted all of this and matched the price, balance and mount of the total package from TireRack at the recommend installer in Dulles.

I was happy. They made some money. It's all good.

My first set of PS1s came from TireRack. All they were great also.

Bob
:M5launch:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts