BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I bought my car it came with a weighted non-illuminated knob. I want illumination, so obtained a used OEM gearknob but discovered it has a different connector to the wire in the car.

From this thread I can discern that the connectors are different for pre-facelift versus facelift cars. My car is a pre-facelift with the black connector, whereas the knob I purchased comes with the smaller white facelift connector.

This is the connector on the car end. Curiously, someone has previously cut and spliced this connector on:

This is the connector attached to the knob:

It appears that I can buy item #3 in the below picture and then splice it to the knob to correctly attach it to the connector I have on the car:

A trawl of RealOEM and bmmini seems to show that only pre-facelift connectors are available but facelift ones are not?

Can anyone confirm if:

- the black connector attached to my car is the standard one? The diagram seems to show that what I have attached to the car, is actually supposed to be attached to the knob.
- that the item #3 above (part #61131378106) is the other connector which I need to mate with what is currently fitted to the car
- if the white facelift connector that attaches to the car is actually available (if so, I would prefer to buy this instead of the pre-facelift black item, as the wires on the car end are already spliced and I can simply reattach the new connector here instead of cutting the knob wires).

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hi, you are correct. From 9/00 BMW switched from the 2.5mm ELO to the MQS type connections for the shift knob. The black one in your car is correct for your model year. The #3 part is not the connector on the car, but the one on the pre-facelift shift knob as you say. The graphic is misleading as it shows the female version.

I absolutely hate splicing, so the way I've done this in the past is as follows:
1) Buy a 2-pin connector to mate with the shift knob's white connector: 61 13 6 925 634
2) Insert these contacts (comes with wire from BMW) into the connector in 1): 61 13 0 005 197 x2
3) Crimp these contacts onto the loose ends of wire on the assembly you now have: 61 13 1 376 191 x2
4) Place the connector from your diagram, 61 13 1 378 106, onto the other end of your cable assembly.
5) Now it's ready to directly plug into your car, without splicing on the car or the shift knob. Easily removable at any time without trace.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The actual p/n of that white connector is 61 13 8 373 577. If that is not available or doesn't automatically supercede, then use p/n 61 13 8 373 583 when ordering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts