BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little bit OT, but I did a search and couldn’t find anything on the topic and I’m sure that we’ve all done it at least once:

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

So, I got a ticket for ‘illegal squealing of tires’ in my M3. I would have never done it if the guy in the S8 next to me at the stoplight hadn’t egged me on, but I had to put an Audi in its place. About a half mile later, the cop lights ‘em up behind me. He says that he’s not giving me a ticket for ‘passing on the right’, but he is giving me a ticket for ‘illegal squealing of tires’. Of course he’s not giving me a ticket for passing on the right because I simply merged in front of someone. In retrospect, I also realized through things he said that he never even saw me leave the stoplight that I squealed my tires from. Basically, I think he gave me a ticket because I am young. Granted, what I did wasn’t particularly responsible, but there were no other cars besides the Audi and I at the light. What really aggravated me, however, was how the officer said that I must really be irresponsible because I have a motorcycle license. I restrained myself from talking back to him about this, but I had to let him know that I had the license because I took the optional motorcycle safety course, but ended up deciding that motorcycles were too unsafe for me.

<o:p></o:p>

Anyways, I know that we have a lot of lawyers on the board and I was wondering if there is a good way to get out of a ticket (in court) like this. I’ve heard that if you just go to court, many times the officer won’t show up and you can just tell the judge that you didn’t do it or that if you reschedule the court date several times, the officer will give up. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
I am a lawyer here in SC, so I can only speak to our laws.

I am not licensed in IL so I cannot give legal advice regarding its laws.

Here, "squealing tires" would be considered reckless driving, a 6 point violation on a 12 point system. You should find out what that translates into in IL. You should be able to check w/ your DMV online to find out what the penalty is for that infraction. You may also want to find out what a conviction for that offense will do to your insurance, especially with an M3.

Perhaps there is a lesser included offense and the officer can rewrite the ticket for something like careless driving. Careless driving here is a no point violation and does not cause insurance premiums to rise. See if IL has a similiar statute.

Or, you can hire an attorney to fight it. How does the officer know it wasn't the Audi that broke traction? A lawyer may be able to raise a reasonable doubt that you were not the offender.

Squealing tires is one those judgement call offenses. Everyone doesn't hear the at the same level, so it could be argued that the law is vague.

Good luck.

·
10,458 Posts
i received a similar ticket back in college, it was listed as "unsafe start". Upon looking up the actual code in the california vehicle code book, it didn't make sense for what i had done. I think this is the best way to get out of any ticket that is not extremely cut and dry, try to make the situation not apply to the particular vehicle code that you were allegedly violating.

I argued that i was pulling out of a parking lot that had poor visibility. I was driving a 71 pontiac grand prix, a car which held the record for the 'longest hood in the world' and by the time i was able to see on coming traffic, i had to lay into the throttle to avoid being hit. Of course, with the 3000 rpm stall torque converter i had in the car, the tires are going to spin and smoke with a launch like that, making a right turn. the judge just looked at me for a minute and asked, "do you mind if i go to the scene and check out the situation" to which i agreed. I was let off with a letter in the mail...

Maybe you can blame the launch control (if you have smg), darned computer controls...
Mike

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
So, in the US it is illegal to chirp the tires... but it is ok to carry a concealed handgun.

About your point system, to put the 6 points into perspective, how much speeding do you have to do to get 6 points?

About the Audi, you could claim that as it lost the race from standstill, it´s quattro transfer visco-clutch must have been defective, and this effectively turned it into a 360 BHP front wheel drive car, no wonder it would break traction far earlier than the robust rear-wheel BMW and therefor is more likely to be the culprit. Besides BMW builds BMWs in the US, whereas all Audis are goddamn foreign unamerican imports. Therefor it is completely wrong to ticket the BMW driver.

David

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DavidS said:
So, in the US it is illegal to chirp the tires... but it is ok to carry a concealed handgun.

About your point system, to put the 6 points into perspective, how much speeding do you have to do to get 6 points?

About the Audi, you could claim that as it lost the race from standstill, it´s quattro transfer visco-clutch must have been defective, and this effectively turned it into a 360 BHP front wheel drive car, no wonder it would break traction far earlier than the robust rear-wheel BMW and therefor is more likely to be the culprit. Besides BMW builds BMWs in the US, whereas all Audis are goddamn foreign unamerican imports. Therefor it is completely wrong to ticket the BMW driver.

David
Punishment for squealing tires depends on which state the offense was commited in. As I understand it, it is fairly serious in california, as it is billed as reckless driving. In Illinois, it is luckily not reckless driving (55 points). I looked it up and it appears as though tire squealing is 10 points. To put that into perspective, speeding 1-10 mph over the limit is 5 points and speeding 11-14 mph over the limit is 15 points.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
I realise doing burn-outs or extended fish-tailing in the wrong place is bad, but how can a bit of chirp be reckless driving?

How bad would the financial implications be for the alleged tire-spin?
(ticket and insurance)

David

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DavidS said:
I realise doing burn-outs or extended fish-tailing in the wrong place is bad, but how can a bit of chirp be reckless driving?

How bad would the financial implications be for the alleged tire-spin?
(ticket and insurance)

David
Technically, you can get cited for a chirp, but I doubt that an officer would ever pull anyone over for that. What I did was more than a chirp, but I wasn't going sideways or fishtailing either. What I did was maybe 10 feet of 'squealing'. The tires weren't holding traction, but they weren't creating any smoke.

My fine was $75, which is just 'illegal tire squealing'. I believe that a reckless driving fine is $500.

I'm not sure what it will do if it goes to insurance. Hopefully it won't.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice and quick response, Boplaw.

The ticket has marked on it that it is a ‘local ordinance’, so it doesn’t seem like it’s horribly serious. I'm fairly certain that it's not automatically reckless driving. It seems like ‘illegal squealing of tires’ may be the lesser statue that the officer gave me.
The problem was that the Audi turned into a gated subdivision shortly after the stoplight and I’m sure that the officer just assumed that it was me as I passed him, but I didn’t see where he originally was, so I didn’t put it together that he hadn’t actually seen me do it until after he had written the ticket and I had admitted to it.
I did admit to the officer and pay the bond fine, but I didn’t sign any statements of guilt. Would there be any reason to still get a lawyer to try to raise reasonable doubt if I admitted to the officer?

I read this in another thread:

"Rule number 1 in my book: Never admit guilt and pay your fine right away!

Plead non-guilty, ask for a court date and go for a plea bargain. Worked like a charm every time I've tried it. You always have a freebie should the cop not show up on that day (and automatic dismissal of the ticket), or, you can talk him into a much decreased penalty. Unless the cop is a smart ***, he doesn't care too much beyond getting a monetary collection, so moving violations frequently get bumped down to parking fines of equal value (e.g. Handicap Parking Violation). All parties stay happy."

Does this happen often/at all? Is it worth the risk of just going to court on the scheduled day without a lawyer and trying this method?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
davem3smg said:
Technically, you can get cited for a chirp, but I doubt that an officer would ever pull anyone over for that. What I did was more than a chirp, but I wasn't going sideways or fishtailing either. What I did was maybe 10 feet of 'squealing'. The tires weren't holding traction, but they weren't creating any smoke.

My fine was $75, which is just 'illegal tire squealing'. I believe that a reckless driving fine is $500.

I'm not sure what it will do if it goes to insurance. Hopefully it won't.
First of all: somebody alegedly createad a sound that was interpreted as a tire squeel by a police officer. I am pretty sure it was not you.

How good is the officer´s hearing? Police officers practice a lot on shooting ranges. Can this officer under oath say he never ever in his life heard a shot fired without the mandated hearing protection? Even the most minor hearing imparements will limit the certainty with which one can place the direction of a sound.

It could have been a lesser car behind him with a screaming alternator belt.

If the other car made a lane change or a turn, this increases the possibility that it was the Audi that squeeled its tires.

Further your very sophisticated traction control system will never ever allow the rear wheels to spin. If the wheels spun it must have been due to a technical fault.

BTW, have you seen the musical Chicago? (or the musical movie with Richard Gere) What you need here is to think like Billy Flynn the lawer.

David

·
Registered
53 Posts
Over here in Italy, squeeling tires is a no point violation.
The only fine you get is 33,35 € for "nasty noise"

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I'm surprised it wasn't a speed contest ticket.
Going to court isn't working well now days, they will schedule dates so the officer can be there for many of his offenders at once.grrrrrrr

This is why I love BMW's traction control system AKA: launch controll

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I apparently got off pretty easily. I just talked to a couple of State Troopers (our campus police are state troopers) and they said that the officer who pulled me over let me off easy by marking it as a 'local ordinance'. I guess that it is usually considered reckless driving which is a mandatory 3 month license suspension plus a fine of $150-$500.

They told me I could apply for court supervision, which means that it doesn't go on my record as long as I don't get another ticket in the next 3 months. The only thing is that you can't have gotten a ticket in the past 12 months to be elidgible. I also got a ticket about 8 months ago for speeding, so I didn't think that I was elidgible for this, but I took the driving school for that ticket. According to the officers, since I took the course, I am elidgible for court supervision.

I'm going to call the state's attorney tomorrow and make sure that all this info is correct and if so, that's what I'm going to do.

Thanks everybody for your help.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Glad your campus police are nice and really helpful, and that you got slapped with the less bad kind of ticket. Hope it works out nicely.

I simply fail to see how squeling tires can be considered reckless and bad enough to revoke the license.

BTW, what´s your major subject?

David

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, they were pretty cool about it. I go to school at the University of Illinois in Urbana and I got the ticket in Chicago. Apparently the central illinois officers don't really like the chicago officers, so they were actually happy to help. ouich

I'm currrently studying econ and computer science.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Well you guyz have it gooooood. Over here in NL squeeling tyres or doing wheelies on a back falls under the infamous article 5. Article 5 is an article which is there to prevent asocial behaviour in general.

When you get fined for article 5 you have to apear before a judge who will define wether it was really asocial behaviour and set the fine accordingly. Article 5 fines start at 300 euro's.

Although the police officer would be a real arsehole if he fined you just for a hard lift off. A friend of mine did get fined for popping wheelies on the highway.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
frylord said:
Well you guyz have it gooooood. Over here in NL squeeling tyres or doing wheelies on a back falls under the infamous article 5. Article 5 is an article which is there to prevent asocial behaviour in general.

When you get fined for article 5 you have to apear before a judge who will define wether it was really asocial behaviour and set the fine accordingly. Article 5 fines start at 300 euro's.

Although the police officer would be a real arsehole if he fined you just for a hard lift off. A friend of mine did get fined for popping wheelies on the highway.
The Netherlands is funny too... no sqeelies and no wheelies allowed, but you are at liberty to smoke all the weedlies you want.

Cheers!

David

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
DavidS said:
The Netherlands is funny too... no sqeelies and no wheelies allowed, but you are at liberty to smoke all the weedlies you want.
hiha :hihi: :hihi: :hihi: hiha

1 - 18 of 18 Posts