BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Haven't posted here for some time now, haven't added anything new to the beast either since last year. I bought the following Hella LED kit from Amazon:
<FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
http://www.amazon.com/010043801-Universal-Rectangular-Daytime-Running/dp/B002MOAL06<o:p></o:p></SPAN>
<o:p></o:p>
I received the kit today and went through the installation guide, my question is where can I find the 12V ignition pulse wire (#15) in the engine compartment?<o:p></o:p>
I tried searching the forum and Google but could not find the answer to my question. What I found is a member on the E63 board who had installed the same kit on his M6. But E63 has different wirings than E39. <o:p></o:p>
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e63-bmw-m6-forum-bmw-m6-convertible-m6board-com/161731-daytime-running-lamps-led-drl.html<o:p></o:p>
Your help is really appreciated<o:p></o:p>

I have attached the installation manual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I think that the wire is the 'white with red stripe' one, I'm pretty sure you could get it from the ecu compartment under the pollen filter housing.
There is a thread about modifying the ae's to come on all the time HERE, Tim uses this wire for that.

I do also understand that there's a green wire up in the roof console that only becomes 'active' whilst the engine is running. I can't confirm this yet as I haven't investigated this (but it will be handy if it's there, for a future little project). Not exactly in the best location for use under the bonnet but it's not that big of problem to run a wire to the engine bay. The other end of this wire may well be at the ecu anyway.

Hth.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
$260? Holy chyt. They better light the dark side of the moon for that much. Where are you planning on mounting them?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are indeed very expensive but the quality you get from this kit is great, especially the light power and color, I hate the cheap looking LED lights that tends to be more blue than pure white. If you are intersted in the idea of DRL you may need to look at Philips DRL as they have pretty sweet kit which I bought for my other car. I liked the Philips DRL more than Hella.
YouTube - Philips LED DRL 2.8

I am planning to mount them on the bumper lower grill.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Very nice. I cant wait to see pix. I have my AE's set up like Tim's (he did it for me... thanks Tim!!) they function as DRL's but IMHO you cant have enough light.

I like this kit.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I finished installing them yesterday, it's sunny outside and hard to get clear shot of them switched on. Here is couple of pictures, more pictures will follow later today or tomorrow.

I would like to thank all of you who helped getting this thing installed easily, especially Tim and ger.

DRL installed and running along with Angel iBright v3

DRL side picture

Engine Compartment after installation.

Bonus Picture :p

Reactions: Hdhntr23

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reactions: Hdhntr23

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Loving the tinted tails too. Your car is amazing bro. Youre only the 3rd car Ive seen on the board with the Hamman side skirts.

Reactions: shopard

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Having seen your setup I went ahead and bought the Ring Lyra drl's from Halfords today (BRL0398).
These have the dimming mode, they're not as bright when the car's lights are switched on, just like the Hella's. Don't know how they compare to Hella wrt quality, but they seem ok and look quite nice to me.

For those of you in the UK, they normally sell them for about £60 but they have a 15% sale until Tuesday (March 1st), if you order online you can use code 'lights15' to get the discount.

Halfords Ring Lyra DRL's.

15% discount and 10% online discount from Halfords.com

I also had a further 10% off, they had sent me a voucher for ordering online, as in the above link.
So, I ended up paying roughly £45, which is about the same as the best 'delivered' ebay price.

Not sure when I can get some time to fit them, hopefully this week.

Love your car, very nicely done.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you are ever interested in selling that Hamman diffuser please let me know.

Love the lights too. A shot of the car @ dusk with those lit up would be amazing.
Thanks bro, believe it or not, In 2000 I saw an imola red m5 with full hamman body kit and I immediately I felt in love with the car, 7 years later it hit me to look for the beast and get the hamman diffuser and side skirts installed.

If you are really interested in the diffuser you will find it in beastpower.com but it's a bit expensive. I'll let you know if I decided to sell it :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Having seen your setup I went ahead and bought the Ring Lyra drl's from Halfords today (BRL0398).
These have the dimming mode, they're not as bright when the car's lights are switched on, just like the Hella's. Don't know how they compare to Hella wrt quality, but they seem ok and look quite nice to me.

For those of you in the UK, they normally sell them for about £60 but they have a 15% sale until Tuesday (March 1st), if you order online you can use code 'lights15' to get the discount.

Halfords Ring Lyra DRL's.

15% discount and 10% online discount from Halfords.com

I also had a further 10% off, they had sent me a voucher for ordering online, as in the above link.
So, I ended up paying roughly £45, which is about the same as the best 'delivered' ebay price.

Not sure when I can get some time to fit them, hopefully this week.

Love your car, very nicely done.
That's great, the advantage of Ring Lyra DRL is that they come with the top mounting brackets where in Hella's they are mounted from the back by coupe of screws. I had to remove the bumper to install mine which took quite sometime as I've never done it before and I was working alone.

Hella DRL as well come with dimming mode, in my case what i've done is that I wired the kit to run in dim mode only when the headlights are on not when the parking lights on, so in this case I can have the bright mode on even with only angel eyes are on.

Best of luck with the install, keep us updated with pictures please :) I will post more pictures as well

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Well I've finally got around to fit the Ring Lyra drl's today.
As promised, I said I'd post up pictures when I had the job done!
This set needs a battery live connection, a sidelight/dip sensing wire and an earth connection.
I wired the live to the ecu box, much tidier and out of the way and I retained the 2A fuse supplied as well. The sensing wire got connected to the left hand sidelight connection and the earth wire connected to the left hand earthing point behind the headlamp.
The remainder of the wiring followed the parking sensor loom inside the bumper. I had to drill one hole in the lower grille on the right hand side for the wiring to pass through and I enlarged slightly one of the current holes at the left hand side.
I mounted the lights using the supplied screws and added some vehicle type double sided tape to ensure the bracket and lamp were secure.

I reckon they take their place nicely, they sit either side of the number plate carrier and seem to have been made to measure! I'm happy with the result.

Here they are:
Lights off:

Lights on:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love it, very nice and neat

Reactions: ger

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Thanks four your comments.

Today I moved the battery positive wire from being permanently connected to being connected to an ignition switched positive. I've had a battery drain problem and I believe that this is the culprit!
Also, the dimming feature doesn't seem to work properly.
I'll be getting in touch with Ring regarding these issues soon, I'll keep you posted about any progress.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Sorry for being the bad apple, i really dont see the point of this...except for looks and it does not look "right" on our cars...in my opinion.
Audi and Porsche cars pull it off well as its from the factory...our cars not so much. In the location that you guys put them just makes the front end look like there is too much going on, Maybe a different location for them? I really dont see where else it could go tho...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I somehow agree with what you are saying, however they do give the car a nice look at night.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts