BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Plugged in the used original bmw coil from Ebay (for $28), and misfire gone from cylinder 6.

Car back on road now lol.

I will test all 5 new unbranded coils, run it for a month and see what happens under heavy load and temperature. Will keep the originals as spare in the trunk.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have with me 5 unbranded new coils, they look the same as original ones in color, shape, and most important : WEIGHT!!
THE WEIGHT tells me if they are made from cheap materials, ripp off, or are they closely made of same stuff as originals.

I lined up all the coils, labelled them and here are their weights:

ORIGINAL BAD COIL : 0.37LB.
ORIGINAL USED GOOD COIL : 0.37LB

UNBRANDED COILS, EACH ONE WEIGHS 0.37LB.

My guess : they are all made at the same place on same manufacturing line; and some are bundled away to be sold as original BMW, some are Bremi, and some unbranded through multiple outlets.

Unless BMW engineer shows me proof the coils are actually made in his room under strict bmw guidelines, i am buying my story.

Now the true test : will install 1 of them on bank, cylinder 1 which is currently running good. Once it works, will install other 4, and rip them around for a month and report back any issues. Time and temperature test will bring out any issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I replaced coils 1,2 and 3 with the unbranded ones described above in my updates.

Here is a video of their fit. Its pressed in completely, but still springs up and down a bit with that clicking sound. The original coils on car don't do this and plug in super tight with no play.

I drove the car for about 10 miles, and there are no misfires. The downstream o2 sensors on bank1 and bank2, the ultimate test of combustion and performance, are identical and running clean.

I will take it for a longer drive and see how they perform.

I am worried about the fit, they arent holding on tight to the spark plugs, like the original older ones on the other cylinders.

·
Registered
403 Posts
That's the results of one fits all. The S85 coils have a unique PN it is not interchangeable with any other BMW types or other brands.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Does the rubber boot "grow" into the socket to give a better fit over time and heat exposure?

I will order a brand new Bremi and see how it snaps in. If Bremi doesn't shake in place, I will return these unbranded coils. This was a test to see if the inexpensive ones work at all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
same fit I got from Bremi ones which I found on ebay. I managed to return them back and get a refund. It was a bad batch for sure. Long time ago I bought of a RMeuropean one Bremi coil and it was perfectly working. When I compared this one and the ones from ebay I could see difference in the size of where coil clips on the plug.

·
Registered
403 Posts
//Martuci
Thank you for the video,
So the PN 20631 is the correct PN for the S85, You can see the number 3 on the PN is kinda manipulated with!! Could be fake? if it is, then it remind me in the late 90's when the Chinese era started you could find lots of fake Bosch parts.

·
Registered
2006 M5
206 Posts
same fit I got from Bremi ones which I found on ebay. I managed to return them back and get a refund. It was a bad batch for sure. Long time ago I bought of a RMeuropean one Bremi coil and it was perfectly working. When I compared this one and the ones from ebay I could see difference in the size of where coil clips on the plug.
What ebay seller did you get these from? I just purchased 10 Bremi coils from ebay as well.

·
Registered
107 Posts
//Martuci
Thank you for the video,
So the PN 20631 is the correct PN for the S85, You can see the number 3 on the PN is kinda manipulated with!! Could be fake? if it is, then it remind me in the late 90's when the Chinese era started you could find lots of fake Bosch parts.
I don`t see problem with the number 3. But stamp is kind of different between the old 2017th Bremi one form RMeuropean , and 2020 batch from the ebay seller. I am attaching some pictures. You can see difference in the place where it clips onto the spark plug
What ebay seller did you get these from? I just purchased 10 Bremi coils from ebay as well.
It was a German ebay seller. Actually quite strong seller with physical facilities and stores. They didn` believe there was problem and tried to blame me for wrong install, but after long discussion they agreed to turn back my money. Latter I saw they removed this item from their listing. Check pics. I believe you may got good ones. please keep us posted and post some pics once they arrive IMG_2746.JPG thumbnail_IMG_2744.jpg

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
All 5 unbranded coils appear to be working clean on bank1.

There must be a better way to yank these ignition coils off.

I have noticed this : twist the coils left, keep turning it left direction and it pops off. There is a natural screw action / designed to pop them off lot easier. However, coil 5 refused to pop off and had to finally use a vice grip.

Will invest in an ignition coil puller. Its like $10.

·
Registered
428 Posts
technique that worked for me is put a metal bar like screw driver through the bracket hole so you can grab it with your entire hand and sharply pull up. for the 2 cylinders at the firewall, i didn't have the leverage to do that, so i had to use a piece of lumber as fulcrum to pull up on the coils with a long metal bar.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts