BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you use a slim jim to open the door? Just wondering guys. And if I slim open the door, will the alarm go off and not turn off with the key (which is inside the car?)

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
857 Posts
One time in New York, I locked my key in the trunk after changing a light bulb at a dealership

I closed the trunk, and it automatically locked.

I had to wait 2 days for someone to FedEx me another key from my house to New York. I was embarrassed beyond belief. The dealership I was at when this happened said there was no way to get inside the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,126 Posts
jajo said:
The dealership I was at when this happened said there was no way to get inside the car.
No personal experience or knowledge, but I have some old high school friends who would probably disagree with that statement!! :1: :1:
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
jajo said:
One time in New York, I locked my key in the trunk after changing a light bulb at a dealership

I closed the trunk, and it automatically locked.

I had to wait 2 days for someone to FedEx me another key from my house to New York. I was embarrassed beyond belief. The dealership I was at when this happened said there was no way to get inside the car.
Sorry about your embarrassment...

I saw this happen at a dealership once... a customer (two young kids actually) locked his house keys inside his M3 - I forget how the situation really happened.
He asked the dealership to smash through the passenger side window... you should have seen the look the SA's face. After convincing the service advisor, and checking on-hand stock of the glass, a tech came out with an ultrasonic pen-like object that blew the window out... just as the windows blew, the Service manager was walking into service reception and noticed what was going on through the front windows... you should have seen the look on HIS face :nono:
I thought he was gong to have a coronary. ??????

I thought you cant slim-jim the doors since they are double locked?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
165 Posts
I'd be surprised if you could slim jim, as said it should be double locked, and impossible.

If you want to get into a car, there is only 1 decent way - remove the rear windscreen. Get a glazer to take it off, you can do this without smashing anything - after getting in, you should be able to re-fit it with new rubber.

If you smash a window you WILL find small bits of glass for the rest of the life of the car. If you do decide you MUST smash a window, please please use plentiful supplies of duct tape (i.e. cover the whole thing) so when it goes, it remains pretty much in one bit, and you dont have millions of bits of glass to fail to hoover up.

Bad luck dude :s

Stu
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,126 Posts
stuart said:
I'd be surprised if you could slim jim, as said it should be double locked, and impossible.

If you want to get into a car, there is only 1 decent way - remove the rear windscreen. Get a glazer to take it off, you can do this without smashing anything - after getting in, you should be able to re-fit it with new rubber.

If you smash a window you WILL find small bits of glass for the rest of the life of the car. If you do decide you MUST smash a window, please please use plentiful supplies of duct tape (i.e. cover the whole thing) so when it goes, it remains pretty much in one bit, and you dont have millions of bits of glass to fail to hoover up.

Bad luck dude :s

Stu
Couldn't you use a glass cutter to put a hole in the window, then reach in and unlock using the lock button? Still need to replace window, but no mess to clean up.....
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
gsfent said:
Couldn't you use a glass cutter to put a hole in the window, then reach in and unlock using the lock button? Still need to replace window, but no mess to clean up.....
Regards,
Jerry
I dont think you can unlock it by reaching in. Thats the point of the double-locking feature. Im pretty sure the inner handle nor the lock button will work after reaching in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,292 Posts
I've never tried on my new car, but I had a '97 740iL, which when you tried to open the car door from the inside after locking it would set off the alarm and NOT open the door. I think that this was the response from my 528 as well, but I'm not sure.

Stuart is definately correct about bits of glass being everywhere. Most of which you can vacuum up, but what is really annoying is the glass that falls down into the door, which will rattle for the rest of the life of your car every time you open and close your door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,071 Posts
I lock my dog in the car with the A/C on for brief periods not to exceed 5 minutes. Lock all doors using the central lock switch, get out of driver's door, lock driver's door from outside with spare or plastic emergency key. Use spaare or emergency key to get back in. Also, since I always have my emergency key in my wallet, I can still use my BMW if I misplace my key.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,600 Posts
gsfent said:
Couldn't you use a glass cutter to put a hole in the window, then reach in and unlock using the lock button? Still need to replace window, but no mess to clean up.....
Regards,
Jerry
No, the side windows are tempered glass. A glass cutter would cause them to shatter. Duct tape is the best way to prevent the majority of the glass from scattering throughout your interior.

Ask me what happens when the windshield (laminated glass) gets hit with a bat... Friggin' glass dust everywhere. All the way to the back seat. My wife's 3 day old X5 got vandalized. I spent 3 hours vacuuming, dusting, re-dusting. Still, 18 months later I find an occasional shard of glass.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
30 Posts
jajo said:
One time in New York, I locked my key in the trunk after changing a light bulb at a dealership

I closed the trunk, and it automatically locked.

I had to wait 2 days for someone to FedEx me another key from my house to New York. I was embarrassed beyond belief. The dealership I was at when this happened said there was no way to get inside the car.
They should of been able to make you a spare??? They should of been able to get the key code from the VIN #. The dealer would of charged $100, but it would of been better than waiting 2 days for fedex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,422 Posts
CTMissile said:
They should of been able to make you a spare??? They should of been able to get the key code from the VIN #. The dealer would of charged $100, but it would of been better than waiting 2 days for fedex
That's your answer. It's probably the cheapest and cleanest route. I hear the lock is a deadbolt so it's not possible to slim jim it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
207 Posts
FYI, I left my key in the trunk (don't ask) which started a nearly 5 hour ordeal before I could get it unlocked. I called AAA to see if they could unlock it. AAA guy came and tried a slim jim for like 10 minutes or so and could not get it open. He spent another 10 minutes using a coat hanger trying to latch on to anything in the door. I finally gave up and spent nearly 4 hours going home and back to get the spare key (wife was out of town so I was on my own to bus it home). What a nightmare.

I now make sure that I always UNLOCK A DOOR FIRST before I open the trunk. I also keep the spare plastic key with me at all times on a key ring with my house keys (car key is on its own separate key ring). Consider keeping a key hidden at the office as well if you drive to work.

Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,126 Posts
louv said:
No, the side windows are tempered glass. A glass cutter would cause them to shatter. Duct tape is the best way to prevent the majority of the glass from scattering throughout your interior.

Ask me what happens when the windshield (laminated glass) gets hit with a bat... Friggin' glass dust everywhere. All the way to the back seat. My wife's 3 day old X5 got vandalized. I spent 3 hours vacuuming, dusting, re-dusting. Still, 18 months later I find an occasional shard of glass.
Thanks for all the good info on how secure the car is. Although I always use the key fob to unlock the car or the trunk, I may start carrying the spare key around just in case!!!
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
354 Posts
Probably the most common reason to lock the key in the car is opening the trunk with the button on the key, put the key in the trunk to grab whatever stuff you have in there, and close the trunk lid with the key still inside. Happened to me luckily, wasn't too far from the spare. ouich
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,980 Posts
I can tell you YES you can lock the keys in the car(on the 540i it can).
The wife was getting out, pushed the locking button and reached for the purse and put the keys in.
Then reached for the phone and made a call, stepping out and shut the door.
Yeah it possible.
I myself have almost done it in the trunk.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
147 Posts
gsfent said:
Thanks for all the good info on how secure the car is. Although I always use the key fob to unlock the car or the trunk, I may start carrying the spare key around just in case!!!
Regards,
Jerry
Ever since I almost locked the keys in my first car (a 1975 Oldsmobile Starfire), I've carried a 2-piece key ring with the master key and nothing else on one side, the valet key and home, etc. keys on the other side. I always have the valet key in my pocket.

The ONE time I didn't do this was just after I'd gotten my first GTI -- a 2001 model. (I also had a 540i/6 at the time.) I stopped to drop my trash off at the curb, popped open the hatch, dumped the trash. When I closed the hatch, the car locked, AND THE ALARM SET. (The car was RUNNING at the time!!) The bad news is that I hadn't had a chance to put the valet key for the new car on the key ring; the good news is that I DID have my house keys on me. I walked back to the house, uttering some "colorful" language, got the valet key, walked back, unlocked the car, and spent most of the drive to work with smoke coming out of my ears.

It happened only once, and never happened on the '03 I now have. I've heard from other VW owners around that time that they had it happen, too. JUST ONCE to them.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top