BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

If the E60 M5 (or E63/64 M6) is offered as SMG only, will you get it?

• Yes

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • No

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what dont you like about the M3 SMG system?

How much time have you spent with it?

After a day at the track I was conviniced. Its awesome!

IMHO SMG is good technology- makes life better- and is very slick. I can only imagine the improvements v3 will bring.

btw- I just read in Car mag (UK) that the M6 will have 550bhp- I dont know if they are ahead or behind the info flow here though so take that info with a grain of salt. Either way M5/M6= :M5launch:

·
Registered
881 Posts
My prediction is that of the folks 'upset' that the new M5 may only be offered with the SMG III 7 speed manual transmission, (because it IS an automated manual, NOT an automatic); fully 75% of them after about 1 month will realize what a step forward the SMG III really is, and thereafter won't ever want to buy another vehicle with a 'traditional' manual transmission again!
Just food for thought.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
We 're probably going to get it with SMG.

all the best
adam

·
Registered
490 Posts
Definitely, yes. I bought my M3 as a 6 speed. Since that time, I had the opportunity to drive an M3 SMG for about a week and learned my tranny choice was a mistake. As to the poll, even if I had the choice between a 7 speed SMG and a 6 speed manual - I'd STILL get the SMG - no questions asked.

SMG is the future - embrace it my friends!!

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Absolutely... I just hope that BMW will mount the shift paddles to the steering column and not to the wheel... If you steer in the shuffle mode the paddles move into the incorrect position as the wheel turns with the M3..

This is as opposed to ferrari whose paddles are stationary on the column housing (I am led to believe since I cannot remember now)..

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
M Power said:
Absolutely... I just hope that BMW will mount the shift paddles to the steering column and not to the wheel... If you steer in the shuffle mode the paddles move into the incorrect position as the wheel turns with the M3..

This is as opposed to ferrari whose paddles are stationary on the column housing (I am led to believe since I cannot remember now)..

just use the shifter to shift up and down in that case..
that's what i do...

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Yes.
Absolutely
Defintely.
This next M5/M6 sounds way to good to pass up regardless of the tranny.

MEnthusiast said:
btw- I just read in Car mag (UK) that the M6 will have 550bhp- I dont know if they are ahead or behind the info flow here though so take that info with a grain of salt. Either way M5/M6= :M5launch:
I too have read on a couple of occasions that the M6 will have 550 and the M5 500HP.

Regards,
:cheers:
T.

·
Registered
704 Posts
I would bet that most of the people that complain about SMG have never taken the time to learn it.

The best example is the Rondel article where they bash SMG because someone needed to drive the car and didn't know how it worked. Then when they get going they do a comparisons about how much better they can shift in a manual than the SMG.

Ok, lets try the reverse :) Lets take an SMG driver that has never driven a manual, put them in one with no instruction, and see how well they do on their first try in the car. First words, "Whats this stupid extra pedal and why do I have to use it?"

Like it or not guys. Manuals are going the way of carbs.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
M Power said:

I actually like that the paddles move- this is helpful when the steering wheel is turned a little bit. Now keep in mind, you wont have to shuffle steer nearly as much (or at all?) with active steering.

As to carbs- they'll be back!!! Muhahahahahaha! lol

·
Registered
44 Posts
Half of me wants to get the manual, 7 or 6 speed, and the other half wants me to get the SMG. i think the manual would give me more pleasure in the beginning, but as someone else said, i think theyre going the way of the carbs.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I'm all for the option of SMG, but againist SMG being the only choice. If BMW makes the E60 SMG only- so be it. I'll just have to get a two door manual sports car for fun and a Cayenne Turbo for utility. Problem solve! :)

POW!

ALX

·
Registered
54 Posts
what you guys have forgotten..is that in order to build muscle..you need the carbs to shuttle the fuel :) carbs will be forever! mark my words.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
slightly ot- but remember grasshopper, you need to have balance. the problem with all the fad diets is they all lack balance.

now M cars are legendary for balance. With an extremely powerful, high revving, engine, a nice 7 speed SMG might be the perfect fit- keeping the tri colors all in balance and the universe in a state of calm- until you mash the go pedal :D

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
SMG may be "going the way of carbs", it may be "the future", and it may be a "step forward" for many. But I just don't find it as FUN. Who cares if it can shift in .08 seconds or whatever? Am I using the car for racing? No. I just find shifting for myself MORE FUN.

Oh, and while the statement "I would bet that most of the people that complain about SMG have never taken the time to learn it." also applied to I-drive as well, especially the newer version.

I won't argue that SMG will be faster than traditional stick, but if I really cared about having the fastest car of the street I would go a different way.

For me, lots of power, brakes, handling, and a manual trans equals pure excitement.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The "fun to drive" point is a valid one- but consider this- BMW M uses manual transmissions because they get more performance in the hands of its customers. They think their customers demand maximum performance. If SMG gives their typical customer more performance in most circumstances, it makes sense for them to go with it.

I will say this- having spent much time with SMG, it is- in many ways- more fun to drive. Its not quite as rewarding to shift.

I think you have to ask that in the end is BMW the advocate for the driver or the shifter? I think BMW would answer that they are the advocate for the driver.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts