BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I asked RPi if they can make a quieter exhaust for my E60 M5 with less sound than their new GTS system without effecting the power of the car, and they were kind enough to accept my request :)

They will make a custom section 3 "rear mufflers" with the same internal design as their current GT exhaust section 3 but with bigger mufflers to reduce the sound level. It will be in top notch quality, tig welded and in mirror chrome finish.

The reason for my request wasn't because their GTS exhaust was too loud for me, yeah it's loud, but in a nice lovely way. It's because I'm shipping my M5 to Europe this summer and I don't want to be stopped by the police, specially in Switzerland!! Last time I drove my Ex-Kelleners M6 in Switzerland I was stopped 3 times and got tickets for sound violation!!

This special RPi exhaust section 3 will be more expensive than their normal one for sure, as it will be produced in a higher quality and a very limited quantity! the more buyers we can get the cheaper it will be.

So if you're really serious about it and willing to pay extra money for it, please inform me so I can get a final price from RPi on this exhaust.

Regards

Khalid

·
Registered
49,476 Posts
Great!

What mroe mods are planned? Stroker? G-Power ;) I will visit G-Power next week, let me know if I should ask them something.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
KSA

I don't know if you know but I have used a RPI ST system and taken it off for being to loud and to much drone so I have been pushing for this very mod (larger section 3 mufflers) for ages so I have to say a big thank you for the helpful push on this with the brilliant guys at RPI!

I will sign up now, I want a full system. if a deposit is needed to secure KSA/RPI just PM me and I will pay now.... I am ready and have been for ages lol!

Did they say if they are keeping the RPI tail pipes as on there normal section 3? Hope so.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I have always said RPI's exhausts are the best out there, with top notch engineering! I love the V band fittings. This will hopefully address the noise level to my liking...

Well done RPI/KSA//M5

·
Registered
7,354 Posts
Subscribed

Reactions: KSA ///M5

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
Khalid

Consider me interested pending final price! I'm in for the complete stage 2 system please.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Great!

What mroe mods are planned? Stroker? G-Power ;) I will visit G-Power next week, let me know if I should ask them something.
To be honest, I don't know yet!! I don't think the $30k + installation for the stroker will be worth the 20 to 30whp that I'll get on top of my current RPi stage 2 setup, and at the same time, I don't prefer to supercharge my engine since it's the last N/A M5. I still need to give it a bit of thought :dunno:

KSA

I don't know if you know but I have used a RPI ST system and taken it off for being to loud and to much drone so I have been pushing for this very mod (larger section 3 mufflers) for ages so I have to say a big thank you for the helpful push on this with the brilliant guys at RPI!

I will sign up now, I want a full system. if a deposit is needed to secure KSA/RPI just PM me and I will pay now.... I am ready and have been for ages lol!

Did they say if they are keeping the RPI tail pipes as on there normal section 3? Hope so.

Regards

Jay
Yes I'm aware about it, and I hope this new exhaust will solve your problem once and for all ;)

Deposits and payments should be discussed with RPi directly, but first they need to know how many exhausts we want to order so they can do their calculations and give us the final price.

And yes, the tail pipes will be the same :)

I've been trying to convince Eloy to do this for AGES, and all Khalid<!-- google_ad_section_end --> has to do is talk to him once and it's happening? Yeah... I see how it is.
I hypnotized him ;)

Khalid

Consider me interested pending final price! I'm in for the complete stage 2 system please.
Sure :M5thumbs:

Hopefully it will just be a tad louder than my current setup, RPI GTS sec.1, RPI sec.2, and Dinan sec.3.
That's our goal :)

Reactions: ur20v

·
Registered
205 Posts
Subscribed. :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
stupid question - what is the difference between section 1,2 and 3 and why are people replacing the exhaust in pieces and sometimes with different aftermarket companies for each? need a primer on exhausts. :dunno:

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
stupid question - what is the difference between section 1,2 and 3 and why are people replacing the exhaust in pieces and sometimes with different aftermarket companies for each? need a primer on exhausts. :dunno:
Section 1: The first few feet of exhaust after the primary cats (which are attached to the headers). On the OE exhaust, the secondary cats reside here.

Section 2: The next few feet of exhaust after that. On the OE exhaust, the pinched crossover section and the resonator are here.

Section 3: The final few feet of the exhaust. This portion includes the mufflers and tips.

On the OE exhaust, it's all 1 piece. For aftermarket exhaust systems, it usually comes in 3 pieces. For the RacePrecision models, the parts bolt right together using v-band connectors.

Exhaust systems make a big difference in the sound of the vehicle. That's why it's important to be careful what you choose. For performance enthusiasts, the power difference is important. However, for EVERYONE, the sound is important. You want to make sure you choose a system that will be pleasing to you.

What we strived for in our exhaust is to create the most power possible over the entire RPM band given this engine size, horsepower range, etc. We also gave the idle a more bassy rumble. Low throttle and low RPM range, we wanted a deep tone, something that hinted at more power available underfoot. At high rpm, high throttle, we wanted the exhaust to have an "f1" type scream, which matches the natural tone of this V10 engine. We went through many MANY designs to achieve this.

Other manufacturers had different targets for their exhausts.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am definitely interested! Please provide more details on an E63/M6 application.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Section 1: The first few feet of exhaust after the primary cats (which are attached to the headers). On the OE exhaust, the secondary cats reside here.

Section 2: The next few feet of exhaust after that. On the OE exhaust, the pinched crossover section and the resonator are here.

Section 3: The final few feet of the exhaust. This portion includes the mufflers and tips.

On the OE exhaust, it's all 1 piece. For aftermarket exhaust systems, it usually comes in 3 pieces. For the RacePrecision models, the parts bolt right together using v-band connectors.

Exhaust systems make a big difference in the sound of the vehicle. That's why it's important to be careful what you choose. For performance enthusiasts, the power difference is important. However, for EVERYONE, the sound is important. You want to make sure you choose a system that will be pleasing to you.

What we strived for in our exhaust is to create the most power possible over the entire RPM band given this engine size, horsepower range, etc. We also gave the idle a more bassy rumble. Low throttle and low RPM range, we wanted a deep tone, something that hinted at more power available underfoot. At high rpm, high throttle, we wanted the exhaust to have an "f1" type scream, which matches the natural tone of this V10 engine. We went through many MANY designs to achieve this.

Other manufacturers had different targets for their exhausts.
You just turned me on with that explanation....hiha

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ok guys, we are a total of 8 on the list until now:

1- ur20v
2- tju317
3- EuroCarFan
4- Ahmed
5- M6Koo
6- JVProM6
7- ninjaboym5
8- KSA ///M5

I'll contact RPi tomorrow and hopefully I'll get back to you next week with the price, details and availbility of this exhaust.

Please bair in mind that the final price will be based on the number of people that will commit with a down payment after the price is released!

If you know anyone that may be interested in this exhaust, please inform him as well. The more buyers we get, the cheaper it will become for us ;)

I am interested too. It will be nice if I can get some oval tips with it.
I don't know if this would be possible since it will only be produced in a very limited number! But I'll check with them and let you know :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I personally hate driving quiet cars IMHO.

Whats the point?

You might as well go with Dinan then.

I have been eyeing all RPI's products.

Is there a thread on comparing RPI vs EVOSPORTS exhausts?

Sorry to be off topic but I am very curious to which direction I should pursue.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts