BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of you continue to be put off by the lack of a manual gearbox option.

Aston Martin launched the new DB9 with no manual option either, but consider this:

Aston Unwraps DB9's New Box

There's been a shift in attitude at Aston Martin - the DB9 is to get an all-new manual gearbox. The move comes as a result of demand from traditionalist customers, who want this transmission instead of the sequential automatic with dash-mounted buttons.

The conventional six-speed version will join the DB9 line-up towards the middle of next year, and is expected to cost around £3,000 less than the current model.

(source: Auto Express)

:rolleyes:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Repeat after me:
I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can, I think I can- YOU CAN DO IT BMW!

But do they have an incentive to do it?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Any compromise in performance? Probably not for the DB9, not a complicated engine. Can we expect reduction in price and no compromise in V10 performance? I'm not so sure yet. But thumbs up to Aston. I think choice is good!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Since AM is owned by Ford, there is a possibillity that you'll get the Focus 1.4 manual...

I really think that BMW as an independent car maker had to make a choice between the manual and the SMG. I don't think they want to spill money into the development of both a new manual (including a clutch for this huge power engine that can stand the torture of most of it's owners) and the further development of their SMG.
The way the engine and the SMG are build needs a total redesign for the essential parts of the car. Engine lay-out, drivetrain and weight distribution for example. I assume they choose for the ´keep the family happy and the costs for both of us acceptable´ option.

Guust

Oh, aside my BMW taste, Aston Martin is the next all time favorite. Would love to have an AM V8 Vantage of the 80´s

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Guust Flater said:
Since AM is owned by Ford, there is a possibillity that you'll get the Focus 1.4 manual...

I really think that BMW as an independent car maker had to make a choice between the manual and the SMG. I don't think they want to spill money into the development of both a new manual (including a clutch for this huge power engine that can stand the torture of most of it's owners) and the further development of their SMG.
The way the engine and the SMG are build needs a total redesign for the essential parts of the car. Engine lay-out, drivetrain and weight distribution for example. I assume they choose for the ´keep the family happy and the costs for both of us acceptable´ option.

Guust

Oh, aside my BMW taste, Aston Martin is the next all time favorite. Would love to have an AM V8 Vantage of the 80´s
i still think that when everyone drives the SMG for a few weeks, they will love it, but their chiropractor may not (no more clutch pains):wroom:

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
I had a DB7 with the T56 transmission. It was absolutely the best shifting transmission I have ever used. Makes the M5 box feel like junk. I don't know what they did to it, probably only the best shifter they could find. And the clutch had great feel too. I hope they continue with this transmission, it only makes sense.

I traded it for the Vanquish. The only thing I would change on the Vanquish is get rid of the paddle shifters and put in that T56. Not likely to happen, but I would take the depriciation hit on a trade it if they ever did, that's how enjoyable it was.

The DB9 has always been promised with a manual since I first talked to my dealer.

I am first on the list for a AMV8 with a manual.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Don't forget the fact that the AM sequential gerabox sucks, whereas the BMW one shines. So, there is less motivation to offer the manual by BMW. Actually, not much reason other than nostalgic ones. Drive an SMG around a track you'll know what I mean. :wroom: Well, no point in getting in to the good old discussion but I can't think of a manual car in a race series where sequential gearbox is allowed. Now, why that would be?

·
Registered
283 Posts
Dirim said:
Don't forget the fact that the AM sequential gerabox sucks, whereas the BMW one shines. So, there is less motivation to offer the manual by BMW. Actually, not much reason other than nostalgic ones. Drive an SMG around a track you'll know what I mean. :wroom: Well, no point in getting in to the good old discussion but I can't think of a manual car in a race series where sequential gearbox is allowed. Now, why that would be?
DB9's isn't an actual sequential manual. It's just a tiptronic -- autobox w/ torque converter and user selectable gears. Regardless, Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear said this box was smoother and better than even Ferrari's F1 true smg.

I don't think they want to spill money into the development of both a new manual (including a clutch for this huge power engine that can stand the torture of most of it's owners)
New clutch? HUH? The SMG has a clutch. Just use the same clutch as the SMG.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Guust Flater said:
I think there is a big difference in the clutch used for the SMG and the manual.
In SMG I and II they were mostly the same clutch manual or SMG. However, SMG III has moved to a multi-plate clutch. Because of this there is a good chance its not suitable to normal human operation. Not impossibly, but only the truly commited would accept the characteristics of such a device. It would be nothing like the E39 in feel.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Opposite_Lock said:
DB9's isn't an actual sequential manual. It's just a tiptronic -- autobox w/ torque converter and user selectable gears. Regardless, Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear said this box was smoother and better than even Ferrari's F1 true smg.
\
I didn't know that. If true, it explains why it's smooth. MB's 7 speed auto is smooth but shifts when it wants (not when you want it) even when in the manual shift mode and when you're in the middle of a corner according to the SL65 test on Motors TV I've just watched yesterday.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Guust Flater said:
LOL :byebye:

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Yes. DB9= automatic with paddles or stick shift. You choose. The auto does a trick throttle blip downshift to simulate a sporty experience, but its an automatic. These newer autos can be very fast, but if you are a die hard SMG fan it will not be the same.

Vanquish= F1/SMG style gearbox. Very tricky to use supposedly. I hear you have to put it into N every time you come to a stop.

AMV8= The vanquish style gear box or stick shift. I would imagine they would refine the F1 box because of the level of complaints on the Vanquish.

The reality is it makes little or no sense for BMW to offer a stick shift, whereas AM must have come to a different conclusion.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
MEnthusiast said:
Vanquish= F1/SMG style gearbox. Very tricky to use supposedly. I hear you have to put it into N every time you come to a stop.
You only have to put it in neutral when you want to engage reverse. But to extract the ignition key, you have to have the handbrake on. :)

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
Whoops- sorry for that. A buddy spent a day driving it and it was complaint city from him. Said they made it a royal PITA. Tough to get the key out or is it tough to want to take the key out? ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
11 Participants
MEnthusiast
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing