BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the middle of the drive to work the iDrive just blinked out. No radio, no bluetooth, nothing. Screen went black. It
came back on a few times during the day, but now it seems good and dead. Has anyone experienced this? Also, is an iDrive replacement something my indie mechanic can do? Or must it go to the dealer? (Warranty is way over).

Thanks….

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did you try rebooting it? Hold both the DVD and CD eject buttons and press the power button, its like a Ctrl-Alt-Del. Do it while the car is running.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you try rebooting it? Hold both the DVD and CD eject buttons and press the power button, its like a Ctrl-Alt-Del. Do it while the car is running.
I will try that, although it's rebooting itself a lot as I drive along.

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Seems to be a common problem, unfortunately. New computer will be needed if it's the same as other's. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
...is an iDrive replacement something my indie mechanic can do? Or must it go to the dealer?
The replacement CCC (iDrive head unit) must be configured (coded) to match your car, which must be done by a dealer.
Get a complete quote from the dealer for CCC replacement, including installation and coding. You might consider upgrading to the new CIC system. It's unlikely your dealer will help with a CIC upgrade, so you will need to work with an aftermarket vendor.
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/m5...161923-cic-navigation-retrofit-group-buy.html

On a side note, do you still own a W8?
My 2003 W8 wagon is still going strong :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clyde: thanks for the response. I figured I would need to go to the dealer. I guess I'm not all that interested in the upgrade, just want to get it back working. I don't have my w8. I do miss it. a fun car to drive, with awd as a bonus. I had lots of problems with it and just got tired of fixing everything. How many miles on yours?

·
Registered
3,246 Posts
...I'm not all that interested in the upgrade, just want to get it back working.
It might be cheaper to buy a used aftermarket CIC than a new CCC from the dealer (depending on how much your dealer charges) :confused3

I don't have my w8. I do miss it. a fun car to drive, with awd as a bonus. I had lots of problems with it and just got tired of fixing everything. How many miles on yours?
About 70k miles.
I know what you mean about problems, many little things break. The W8 valve solenoids were stuck, but I manged to pop them loose by cycling them with a VAGCOM.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clyde: Good point about the CIC being cheaper, I will look into that.

My biggest problem with the W8 was that one by one the fuel injector wires failed. VW finally, on their dime even though it was out of warranty, replaced the whole injector wiring harness. At that point everything I knew about was fixed so I sold.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I seem to be having the same problem. Screen resetting all the time. SO annoying, I just put off the radio. How did you end up solving your problem?

·
Registered
376 Posts
Had the exact same issue with my 06', it was the CCC. It was under warranty at the time it happened, so can't give you a price.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm out of warranty and trying to find out how much thios is going to cost :(
Would you happen to have any part numbers?

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Check your battery first, i had the same problems a couple of times and it went away by replacing my battery.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Mine has been doing this as well but I noticed that the nav was always having trouble displaying maps. I took the disc out for a week and no issue. Put it back in last week and it's done it twice since. Each time I pull the disk it's super hot as well so I'm thinking the unit is just overheating. Now I leave the disk out until I have someone in the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts