BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are two things I really liked on my 2011 F10 that don't seem to be there on my 2014:

1. No indication of current playlist on iPod
On the 2011, when listing the playlists on the device, the one currently playing has a check next to it. Very useful to me.

2. No integration of traffic with route list
On the 2011, when displaying the navigation route list, any traffic issues along the route are included at the appropriate point, making it easy to scan the route and assess traffic in a single glance.

If this is an issue of settings, I'd appreciate some guidance.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Can't comment as only know the differences between MY14 & MY15.

In the MY15, their is now a shift indicator next to the gear display on the dash. A slight frustration is they've now removed the track number from the USB listing on the main screen. On the MY14 is used to have the USB symbol in the top right & a number (playing track number), but now only the USB symbol is displayed. Not a huge issue, but i did like to know what track i was listening to on the main nav screen.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Can't comment as only know the differences between MY14 & MY15.

In the MY15, their is now a shift indicator next to the gear display on the dash.
Can you elaborate as to what this is/looks like/does? I have a 2-week old 2015 M5 and don't recall seeing/noticing this difference so I'm wondering if it's yet another Euro-feature that'll be here in a decade or so.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Can you elaborate as to what this is/looks like/does? I have a 2-week old 2015 M5 and don't recall seeing/noticing this difference so I'm wondering if it's yet another Euro-feature that'll be here in a decade or so.
When in manual mode, you'll see an up shift indicator (what gear it suggests you should be in) to the right of the what gear you're in display. This is right in the middle of the dash display.

Don't confuse this with the shift indicator in the M Display HUD as the new one on MY15 cars is related to a better emissions rating as is designed to indicate the optimum gear to be in for economy not performance. Is kind of stupid really as it's also present when in manual mode on track & in lunatic mode which kind of defeats the object really.

·
Registered
756 Posts
When in manual mode, you'll see an up shift indicator (what gear it suggests you should be in) to the right of the what gear you're in display. This is right in the middle of the dash display.

Don't confuse this with the shift indicator in the M Display HUD as the new one on MY15 cars is related to a better emissions rating as is designed to indicate the optimum gear to be in for economy not performance. Is kind of stupid really as it's also present when in manual mode on track & in lunatic mode which kind of defeats the object really.
Thanks!

I don't know that I really care to have that but I'm getting so irritated by the sheer volume of feature-differences in the European and US cars that I'll try and enable it out of spite alone. I certainly get that some of these deltas are regulatory in nature and that's fine but not being able to see my indicators/turn-signals in the HUD or close my power-trunk remotely, for example, both fall squarely in the "WTF-are-you-thinking-BMW" category. This seems like another of those. I'll take a look at coding this back on just for the hell of it. Does the user-manual or feature itself give you an indication of the feature's "official" name--that helps me locate things oftentimes.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Thanks!

I don't know that I really care to have that but I'm getting so irritated by the sheer volume of feature-differences in the European and US cars that I'll try and enable it out of spite alone. I certainly get that some of these deltas are regulatory in nature and that's fine but not being able to see my indicators/turn-signals in the HUD or close my power-trunk remotely, for example, both fall squarely in the "WTF-are-you-thinking-BMW" category. This seems like another of those. I'll take a look at coding this back on just for the hell of it. Does the user-manual of feature itself give you indication of its "official" name--that helps me locate things oftentimes.
The 2 items you mention are not in the same vain as the gearshift indicator. That is an introduced upgrade on the MY15 cars as my MY14 didn't have it. Turn signals in the HUD are not on UK cars & neither is remote bit (trunk) close. I have the Powerlid option fitted to my car & all this adds is a button on the inside lip of the boot so i can close the boot without touching it/pulling it down. I do not have the option to close it from the remote, only open it from the remote. The HUD turn indicators i believe can be coded but i've no idea how & it's not a feature i'd want as i know when my indicators are flashing as it flashes on the dashboard.

BMW often have CP releases (i think this stands for Customer Programme) where software updates are issued & these are usually applied to the car when it's next at a dealers for a service (or at least in the UK they used to). It's possible dealers now charge for this or maybe it's not even available nowadays. I'd ask your dealer & see what they say.

·
Registered
756 Posts
The 2 items you mention are not in the same vain as the gearshift indicator. That is an introduced upgrade on the MY15 cars as my MY14 didn't have it. Turn signals in the HUD are not on UK cars & neither is remote bit (trunk) close. I have the Powerlid option fitted to my car & all this adds is a button on the inside lip of the boot so i can close the boot without touching it/pulling it down. I do not have the option to close it from the remote, only open it from the remote. The HUD turn indicators i believe can be coded but i've no idea how & it's not a feature i'd want as i know when my indicators are flashing as it flashes on the dashboard.

BMW often have CP releases (i think this stands for Customer Programme) where software updates are issued & these are usually applied to the car when it's next at a dealers for a service (or at least in the UK they used to). It's possible dealers now charge for this or maybe it's not even available nowadays. I'd ask your dealer & see what they say.
Interesting. I assumed they were available in the UK since they're standard on German models--my mistake.

I've coded both the trunk and the turn-signals onto my car--both are extremely useful (the turn signals don't distract me at all since they're subtle and well-positioned).

The way the cars are optioned here in the States is very different--things don't really come a-la-carte. Rather, you pay one lump sum for a package of which there are say 4 or 5 that you can choose from and combine. From what I can see, the majority of US-destined vehicles come quite well loaded relative to their Euro counterparts so on that front, this is better I guess. There are a few a-la-carte options such as night-vision and, more recently, Office functionality but I've coded the latter of those two back on anyway.

Regardless, do you have the name of the feature (assumes you can turn it on and off or that it appears in the car's manual)?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
As far as I know their is no way to turn it off. My Tuner refers to the feature as Dynamic Gearshift Display but no idea if that's its BMW name.

Ur correct that US F10's have packages whereas we have single options. Some of these require partner options but only a few of those.

Curious as to this remote closing boot as I have the only option relative to that part of the car & that's power bootlid operation but this just adds a button to the underside of the bootlid. Never heard of it being able to be closed from the remote control.

Really can't see a point to the HUD turn signals but not got it in the UK so can't miss it. Don't forget we don't get the manual transmission variant of the M5 in the UK either so many differences exist & I doubt the U.S. cars are missing anything we get. As I said the gearshift feature was only introduced on the MY15 so earlier UK cars don't have this either:)

·
Registered
756 Posts
As far as I know their is no way to turn it off. My Tuner refers to the feature as Dynamic Gearshift Display but no idea if that's its BMW name.

Ur correct that US F10's have packages whereas we have single options. Some of these require partner options but only a few of those.

Curious as to this remote closing boot as I have the only option relative to that part of the car & that's power bootlid operation but this just adds a button to the underside of the bootlid. Never heard of it being able to be closed from the remote control.

Really can't see a point to the HUD turn signals but not got it in the UK so can't miss it. Don't forget we don't get the manual transmission variant of the M5 in the UK either so many differences exist & I doubt the U.S. cars are missing anything we get. As I said the gearshift feature was only introduced on the MY15 so earlier UK cars don't have this either:)
The remote-closing of the boot requires coding to add it back. I can now close mine from the remote or from the boot-release button that's near my left-knee when I'm in the driver's seat (I presume it's on the other side for you). I have the same button as you (plus another one that also locks the car).

I don't have the manual either--drove it, thought it was silly because everything felt slower so I opted for the DCT and haven't looked back.

Mine is a MY15, too--I know this because they nickel-and-dimed away the Office functions that I mentioned earlier; that was a MY15 change. If you look under Settings, do you know what software version your head-unit is running?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
The remote-closing of the boot requires coding to add it back. I can now close mine from the remote or from the boot-release button that's near my left-knee when I'm in the driver's seat (I presume it's on the other side for you). I have the same button as you (plus another one that also locks the car).

I don't have the manual either--drove it, thought it was silly because everything felt slower so I opted for the DCT and haven't looked back.

Mine is a MY15, too--I know this because they nickel-and-dimed away the Office functions that I mentioned earlier; that was a MY15 change. If you look under Settings, do you know what software version your head-unit is running?
How/who did you get the coding? In the UK, the remote Bootlid option (a paid for option) features a button on the inside of the Bootlid. You can open it from the button inside the car, remote control or button above the number plate, but to close it (don't forget it's powered not just sprung) you press a button on the inside lip of the boot. Can't recall if the button inside the car also closes it but the remote certainly doesn't.

·
Registered
652 Posts
:sad3: The M6 GC CP here in the UK does not even have a button to auto close the boot :eek: it's not powered, just pops open.
Top of the range car No powered boot and NO Adaptive HBA.:mad:

BMW gone Mad.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
:sad3: The M6 GC CP here in the UK does not even have a button to auto close the boot :eek: it's not powered, just pops open.
Top of the range car No powered boot and NO Adaptive HBA.:mad:

BMW gone Mad.
Powered bootlid is a cost option on the F10 M5, think it was about £275 so i'd assume the same for the M6 GC.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

User error (on my part). Bootlid DOES close via the remote control, so have learnt something. You have to hold the Boot button on the remote down (same way you have to hold down lock doors on the remote to fold the mirrors in). Well happy i've got this feature as thought it odd the option only added close via the extra bottled button.

Not sure what you mean about reduced Office functions on the MY15? I've noticed no difference in this feature between my previous MY14 & my current MY15, everything that should be there is still there (i think).

·
Registered
756 Posts
User error (on my part). Bootlid DOES close via the remote control, so have learnt something. You have to hold the Boot button on the remote down (same way you have to hold down lock doors on the remote to fold the mirrors in). Well happy i've got this feature as thought it odd the option only added close via the extra bottled button.

Not sure what you mean about reduced Office functions on the MY15? I've noticed no difference in this feature between my previous MY14 & my current MY15, everything that should be there is still there (i think).
Ok, good to know--I thought I was losing my mind there. It seems the fear of punitive damages over here removes many of these features. European features are, for me, often the basis for understanding what the US-spec'd cars are missing and going looking for it. And if you can close it from the key-fob, then you should be able to open/close it from the button near your knee. Having to hold the key-fob button down is also true with the re-coded version of the feature (not surprising I 'spose). The window-open + the windows-close and mirror-fold trick is also the same as my re-coded equivalents. I have also activated things like DVD-in-motion; the ability to play videos using DIVX or MPEG codecs... again, while in-motion as well as whisker-cameras and rear+top-down cameras that also work while in motion. Removing disclaimers and other whacko supposedly safety-oriented features is also possible. All these tweaks are possible with re-coding.

As for Office functionality--BMW nickel-and-dimed this out for 2015 US-models. Now it's a-la-carte @~$550. Office functionality gives you support for 2 Bluetooth phones and SMS/email messages in the head-unit display to name but two of the features--I don't recall the rest... perhaps calendaring and verbal memos fall under this banner, too.

By the way: coding doesn't require you to be a programmer--it's more just a matter of using a graphical tool and editing a big hive of settings that have funky names and require specific combinations of specific values to light-up behaviors that were always there, just switched off. Certain aspects, like adding options, are far more complex but the basics are something my Mum could handle (OK, that's a complete lie--she's borderline retarded when it comes to this stuff--but it illustrates my point :).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Ok, good to know--I thought I was losing my mind there. It seems the fear of punitive damages over here removes many of these features. European features are, for me, often the basis for understanding what the US-spec'd cars are missing and going looking for it. And if you can close it from the key-fob, then you should be able to open/close it from the button near your knee. Having to hold the key-fob button down is also true with the re-coded version of the feature (not surprising I 'spose). The window-open + the windows-close and mirror-fold trick is also the same as my re-coded equivalents. I have also activated things like DVD-in-motion; the ability to play videos using DIVX or MPEG codecs... again, while in-motion as well as whisker-cameras and rear+top-down cameras that also work while in motion. Removing disclaimers and other whacko supposedly safety-oriented features is also possible. All these tweaks are possible with re-coding.

As for Office functionality--BMW nickel-and-dimed this out for 2015 US-models. Now it's a-la-carte @~$550. Office functionality gives you support for 2 Bluetooth phones and SMS/email messages in the head-unit display to name but two of the features--I don't recall the rest... perhaps calendaring and verbal memos fall under this banner, too.

By the way: coding doesn't require you to be a programmer--it's more just a matter of using a graphical tool and editing a big hive of settings that have funky names and require specific combinations of specific values to light-up behaviors that were always there, just switched off. Certain aspects, like adding options, are far more complex but the basics are something my Mum could handle (OK, that's a complete lie--she's borderline retarded when it comes to this stuff--but it illustrates my point :).
Can you code HBA to adaptive HBA on the M6 GC, as we are in an argument here in the UK with BMW UK as this feature is in the brochure from march 2014 and NOT on the Car grrrrrrr
So far 5 of us who own the M6 GC CP have collectively consulted BMW and awaiting a decision, if it can be coded then we need the evidence. Thanks J.:)

·
Registered
1,222 Posts

Looks like quite a few differences then as the Office functionality is standard on UK cars & no different on the MY15 cars to the MY14 cars. Boot closing is a paid for option in the UK but (thanks to your comment & me trying again) it can be opened & closed from the remote as well as the button in the inside of the bootlid. Opening from the remote & button in the car is standard, just the button on the inside of the bootlid & i guess the remote control closing are aspects of the option.

Windows/sunroof open/close & mirrors folding from the remote are standard features on UK cars. No desire to have DVD in motion or the cameras operational while moving as although i have Surround View, it's only use is when actually parking. I agree it's likely the US blame/sue culture that gives rise to some of the restrictions the US M5's have.

Nothing else i feel my car's missing so no need for me to mess with the functions. Out of curiosity though, how do you make the changes? Is it a piece of software on a happy that you connect to the cars OBD port?

·
Registered
756 Posts
Can you code HBA to adaptive HBA on the M6 GC, as we are in an argument here in the UK with BMW UK as this feature is in the brochure from march 2014 and NOT on the Car grrrrrrr
So far 5 of us who own the M6 GC CP have collectively consulted BMW and awaiting a decision, if it can be coded then we need the evidence. Thanks J.:)
I took a look and none of my cheat sheets have info on the anti-dazzle aspects of auto high beam assist. I also googled around and found many threads but nothing conclusive.

So, short story: I don't know... still looking, though, since I'd like to know myself.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I took a look and none of my cheat sheets have info on the anti-dazzle aspects of auto high beam assist. I also googled around and found many threads but nothing conclusive.

So, short story: I don't know... still looking, though, since I'd like to know myself.
OK, I take it back. I found it in one of my cheat-sheets. So, assuming it's accurate, it claims that any vehicle equipped with auto-high-beams supports anti-dazzle. There's also a feature known as variable light distribution which apparently adjusts the beams relative to speed. If you accept that fact, then if your car has auto-high-beams, it's anti-dazzle capable--I won't know for sure until I get around to trying it.

Related: BMW are certainly charging a premium for software-only features. I was in the same boat recently when I upgraded my MY14 M5 to MY15 M5--Office functionality went missing; I added that back through coding alone so what you suggest is certainly a possibility.

·
Registered
652 Posts
OK, I take it back. I found it in one of my cheat-sheets. So, assuming it's accurate, it claims that any vehicle equipped with auto-high-beams supports anti-dazzle. There's also a feature known as variable light distribution which apparently adjusts the beams relative to speed. If you accept that fact, then if your car has auto-high-beams, it's anti-dazzle capable--I won't know for sure until I get around to trying it.

Related: BMW are certainly charging a premium for software-only features. I was in the same boat recently when I upgraded my MY14 M5 to MY15 M5--Office functionality went missing; I added that back through coding alone so what you suggest is certainly a possibility.
This is great news :), IF you can get this working please let me know how, as I have paid for this system and it's not working on a $120K car.:sad1:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts