BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

idle too high??

2K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  redl1nerpm 
#1 ·
I have a 91 3.6 US spec with a powerchip, intake, and exhaust. My car idles at 1000 rpm even when fully warmed up. Seems too high to me? Is this right?

#9 ·
These engines should idle around 950 RPM, so it sounds fine to me. The idle usually raises about 50 RPM when the AC-compressor kicks in.
My 3.6 also used to idle around 950-1000 RPM. The 3.8 idles around 750 RPM on the rev gauge, but the diagnosis computer shows about 930 RPM from the same sensor so it's the rev gauge which isn't quite correct actually.

It seems like the 3.6 owners usually have an idle around 950-1000 RPM on the rev gauge, whereas the 3.8 cars are closer to the 750-800 RPM mark? hmmm
(Also judging from various dashboard photos.) Coincidence?

There's more info about idle RPM and how it's maintained in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56753

#10 ·
My 3.8 idles at 950, and reads this on the tacho.

Mr. J said:
These engines should idle around 950 RPM, so it sounds fine to me. The idle usually raises about 50 RPM when the AC-compressor kicks in.
My 3.6 also used to idle around 950-1000 RPM. The 3.8 idles around 750 RPM on the rev gauge, but the diagnosis computer shows about 930 RPM from the same sensor so it's the rev gauge which isn't quite correct actually.

It seems like the 3.6 owners usually have an idle around 950-1000 RPM on the rev gauge, whereas the 3.8 cars are closer to the 750-800 RPM mark? hmmm
(Also judging from various dashboard photos.) Coincidence?

There's more info about idle RPM and how it's maintained in this thread: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=56753

#11 ·
turns out my car was idling too high. Right after the maf, theres a **** in the rubber where it cracked and its been sucking in more air. Basically the engine is reading that so much air is coming in but more really is. The result is my car is running lean and its idling too high. Fortunetly I ordered a new elbow from pacific bmw for about 15 bucks.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.