BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I go golfing today and park my beast out in the middle of the lot with no other cars around it. I forget my jacket so 15 minutes after I get to the course I head back out to the car to get it. As I am walking the 100 yards to the car I notice a vehicle pull up next to my car.

As I get closer, they open their doors and are literally 2 inches away from my car. I freak out and ask them why they parked so close to my car. Lady gets lippy and tells me something about it being a free world and she can park wherever she wants.

There are 40 parking stalls within 50 feet of her and she parks right next to me. I call husband off to the side and talk to him reasonably and tell him I have 150K into the car and I don't want any door dings. He totally agrees with me and starts giving it to the wife.

Why do people park so close to other peoples cars?? Especially a nice car. When I was driving normal vehicles and saw a nice car in a lot, I parked completely away from them....

Comments???

RW

·
Registered
427 Posts
because they want to show you that your not the "boss" in town and that "its just a car" and that "its a free world" as she said..

I completely agree with you on this;

reminds me of one time of where my gf and i went to a grocery store at around midnight- 1am for a late snack/munchies...

i decided to take my dad's bentley flying spur take it for a drive since he usually doesnt let me but since it was midnight wit no one on the road he said sure

I pull up to the grocery store with only like 3cars being in the parking lot with at least 100other spaces... i end up pulling into the 5th or 6th space away from the store and take up two spots diagnolly leaving the spot to the right of me a little bit open.. and guess what in 10mins i come out and this douchebag parks his in that tiny spot.. HE COULD HAVE GOTTEN A BETTER SPOT but no he decided to park in that little tiny area.. you guys know how groceries stores are at midnight.. no one is around

as i get into my car he goes "nice parking job" and im like "do you not see the 100other spots open and better spots then this one, you just decided to be a dick"

he was like "uhh uhh, sure whatever" and went on his way inside a store

·
Registered
79 Posts
this happnes to me every single time i have ever parked in an empty parking lot.
I HATEEEEEEEEEEE IT

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It is either:

1) Ignorance

or

2) Jealousy

Reactions: holmesmd and psguy

·
Registered
836 Posts
I also can't stand that.
I have been very lucky, I haven't had a ding on one of my M's for over 6 years (jinx ouich ).
I like when I park in a crowded lot and someone who obviously cares for their car (old or new) parks next to mine, at least one side is protected.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Owned my M6 for two weeks...only two trips to work and the rest joy rides then back into the garage....already two door dings!! Makes me sick to my stomach but I promised myself that I would drive this car and not worry about such things.

Had them fixed perfectly today so it reassures me to some degree that I can have them repaired if needed. It still just amazes me how inconsiderate people can be!!:grrrrr:

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I suspect there might be another explanation as to why some people park next to our cars rather than in one of many other available spots. I am guessing that as soon as they spot a car like ours, they want to have a closer look. By taking the adjacent spot they can nonchalantly take a look at the car from nearby as they exit their car. I am willing to bet that they choose the spot opposite of where they are walking, so they can look at our car as they pass by.

If instead someone parked at distance and walked up to the car to check it out, they risk being embarrassed by being caught gawking or even worse, looking like they are attempting to break in.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I haven't had that problem yet but we do have problems here with windows getting smashed out for radars. I never leave my radar on the windsheild now.

I just hate when I go to valet park sometimes. I went to this one place one time with my friend and the valet place was full, the valet guy goes "we're full but if you take care of us we can hold you're car here until a spot opens up." I gave him a funny look like "you really expect me to pay you extra to wait to pay to park here when there was free parking down the street." I just backed out and came back in a few minutes. I leave tips, but I guess he thought he could get another $5-10 out of me on top of the $10 valet just to have my car parked next to the front door.

Another time I payed $10 plus tip just to park in a lot that I could have parked myself but they insisted they park it. Well the guy who parked my car must have not showered for a week because when I picked it up he made my car smell like *** for the 10 minutes I had to drive it with the windows up since I had just put on tint.

I don't mind doing valet but everynow and then you get something you wish you would have not even bothered.

·
Registered
103 Posts
A friend of mine in CT used to park quite far away from the rest of the cars and sideways using 2 spaces. He was sure his 928 GTS (a beast in those days !) would get any dings.
He was also sure no one gave him hell since he was parking where there were a lot of empy spaces.
It's might be a free world as the lady said, but it is a hassle to keep nice cars perfect!!!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ha oh man.... This sh*t bugs the hell out of me... I don't mind a nice leisurely walk to the store but EVERY time I park away from the crowd some beater pulls up right next to me almost in my space just to prove a point I guess. I mean we just mind our on business and then some jerk off decides to make a needless point. I agree 1) jealousy 2) ignorance or really retarded

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I just hate when I go to valet park sometimes. I went to this one place one time with my friend and the valet place was full, the valet guy goes "we're full but if you take care of us we can hold you're car here until a spot opens up." I gave him a funny look like "you really expect me to pay you extra to wait to pay to park here when there was free parking down the street." I just backed out and came back in a few minutes. I leave tips, but I guess he thought he could get another $5-10 out of me on top of the $10 valet just to have my car parked next to the front door.

Another time I payed $10 plus tip just to park in a lot that I could have parked myself but they insisted they park it. Well the guy who parked my car must have not showered for a week because when I picked it up he made my car smell like *** for the 10 minutes I had to drive it with the windows up since I had just put on tint.

I don't mind doing valet but everynow and then you get something you wish you would have not even bothered.
Living in L.A., I absolutely abhor valet parking...First, I wonder if they even know how to start/drive the car. I've watched valets sit in the car for a minute trying to figure things out :sad1:
Second, I always look at the odometer praying they don't joy ride the car (like Ferris Bueller's day off).

·
Registered
155 Posts
this world is sadly filled with haters. sure, we drive M6's but we run into even more exotic cars and you never see us messing with them. with cars these days many are works of art and you never have to own a piece of art to appreciate it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Stinky car after valet, I smell SEINFELD!!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Living in L.A., I absolutely abhor valet parking...First, I wonder if they even know how to start/drive the car. I've watched valets sit in the car for a minute trying to figure things out :sad1:
Second, I always look at the odometer praying they don't joy ride the car (like Ferris Bueller's day off).

Haha great movie.

·
Registered
132 Posts
parking misbehaviors

Such a painful topic.......

Reminds me of once having a 1956 Alfa Giulietta Sprint Veloce (Aluminum lightweight) with a Conrero motor-- (sold it a long time ago --1966, stupid of me yes, ahem) but just freshly refurbished and painted perfectly. Back corner of a parking lot, two spaces. Lady parks one foot away in one of those insane overly sculpted Detroit 9 pass wagons (lotsa sharp pointy edges on the doors) and the kids get out the passenger side---doors crease the aluminum bodywork and then rub up and down as the monsters jump in and out of the car. Episode ended with the woman having me arrested for attempted assault due to my **** shrieking complaints. Police very unhelpful, finally cited me for disturbing the peace (ever notice the dings on a cop cruiser?) Paint repairs never quite matched. Been very wary ever since.

My observation is that a majority of offending drivers regard automobiles as throw-away appliances, not art. Some truly are downright vindictive or jealous. I won't park a good car and skip the errand or event if the parking looks even a bit sketchy..and I never parallel--ever (braille parking is too great a threat) I plan my trips to use another vehicle if needed -- nothing equalizes like my LWB Yukon XL parked inches from the beaters, and amazingly --they don't ding the SUV...crazy. Professional courtesy perhaps?

And I NEVER NEVER valet --- Leno put it best one night when he was interviewing a young starlet who said she only goes to restaurants that have valet parking---Leno replied ---"This is where we are different: I only go to restaurants that don't." I agree. I would have to be crazy to let some dimbulb loser behind the wheel of my beast. Valet joints are usually not worth the fuss anyway.

Finally, the worst case scenarios are the code adjustments that allow more "compact" parking spaces -- more parking per acre -- equals more dings per square foot.

So, alas, much as I would drive my beast as often as possible- it remains pretty much an open road extravagance that can return safely to its nest after taunting the careless and inconsiderate. Pity.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Such a painful topic.......

And I NEVER NEVER valet --- Leno put it best one night when he was interviewing a young starlet who said she only goes to restaurants that have valet parking---Leno replied ---"This is where we are different: I only go to restaurants that don't." I agree. I would have to be crazy to let some dimbulb loser behind the wheel of my beast. Valet joints are usually not worth the fuss anyway.

So, alas, much as I would drive my beast as often as possible- it remains pretty much an open road extravagance that can return safely to its nest after taunting the careless and inconsiderate. Pity.
I have a problem with valet too, however, going to nice restaurants in Hollywood and L.A., I can't envision myself telling every valet that I'll park my car myself??? :dunno: How do they respond to this? What do you guys do with valets?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts