BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:

Driving home from work yesterday, my instrument panel light up: BRAKE, ABS and the triangle with the exclamation point all went off at once. After puzzling about it, it seems that it all boils down to needing brake work done, correct?

I have done this with other cars in the past, but not with anything like an M5. I am talking Jeeps and old Plymouths here where I used a C-clamp to pus the pistons back. Is this a DYI project on an M5? Do I need special tools (will a c-clamp work ok?). I know I've never installed a sensor wire before. Should I bleed the brakes? Should I install steel lines?

I don't want to spring for a BBK, stock has been just fine for me, even at the track.

I found this kit on Turner Motorsports:

Turner Motorsport | E39 M5 Brake Package with Stock US Rotors

My brake usage is pretty average, not real hard on the roads very often. An occasional track day, maybe once a year. Other than that, I'm pretty gentle on brakes.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
86 Posts
+1 to Raikku, had seen that on my previous Beemers, once it was low brake fluid level. Second time it was dead ABS sensor. And I wouldn't recommend to drive with dead sensor it can cause more problems with ABS system.

·
Registered
911 Posts
+1 to Raikku, had seen that on my previous Beemers, once it was low brake fluid level. Second time it was dead ABS sensor. And I wouldn't recommend to drive with dead sensor it can cause more problems with ABS system.
I drove allmost whole last winter and spring with dead sensor(s). Only problem what i saw was that my rear tyres worn out littlebit faster :D
OP: Codes!! Most likely sensor is dead. If speedo works its not left rear :)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't know how it is in the Beast, but in ordinary E39 (maybe others too) cars that are made after 1998 it is possible that dead ABS sensor will lead to ABS module failure, it happens quite often. That is what I've seen.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi:

I checked the fluid and indeed it was quite low. I topped it off.

However, the lights are still lit up and the message control says 'inactive traction control' or something to that effect. Is there a reset I need to do?

If the next step is the ABS sensor....somewhere I have a computer to read codes, assuming the cable connector is the same as for a US vehicle.

Is replacing it a DYI job? I found a source online for a sensor. They are pretty inexpensive:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-M5-S62_5.0L/Braking/ABS/ES63117/

Thanks!

-Mike

·
Registered
991 Posts
Hi:

I checked the fluid and indeed it was quite low. I topped it off.

However, the lights are still lit up and the message control says 'inactive traction control' or something to that effect. Is there a reset I need to do?

If the next step is the ABS sensor....somewhere I have a computer to read codes, assuming the cable connector is the same as for a US vehicle.

Is replacing it a DYI job? I found a source online for a sensor. They are pretty inexpensive:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E39-M5-S62_5.0L/Braking/ABS/ES63117/

Thanks!

-Mike

I'm having the exact same symptoms here as well. Havn't checked my fluid yet, but all of the above lights and warnings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Have you been driving it with the warning lights? I have. Doesn't seem to affect it, other than the lack of traction control, but that is no big deal. Please post if you find the solution. I will be working on the ABS sensor next, but not till later in the month.

-mike

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If it is a sensor it shouldn't need a reset with a peake or INPA etc etc. If you have access to one then great but if not its still relatively simple.

I know you can't physically tell which it is in either rear or front but by far the easiest way to check would be simply buy both sensors from the shop. You only need to plug the sensor in at the small black box in the wheelarch to connect it up and start the car. If the light goes out you've found the faulty sensor and you can then install it properly and just return the other sensor to the shop for a refund.

Your Traction light is on as the car cannot get its DSC signal from the hub ring with the sensor down. You willp probably find that the car will only rev to circa 5500rpm also until this is rectified

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I didn't work on the car at all. But, I got in the M5 this morning and all the idiot lights were off!! When I pressed the DSC button, the indicator came on in the center of the insturment cluster!

All seems perfectly normal right now.

After I added brake fluid, I drove the car quite a bit - on a daily basis(thus the constant grin on my face<g>).

I don't know what happened, but I like it.

-Mike

·
1,946 Posts
It's the ABS sensor, either left or rght rear (I can't remember which).

Happened to me the year before last. Easy fox and not too expensive. Unless you get the stealer to do it, in which case it's a grand. Everything is a grand at the stealer...

YG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts