BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So luck has it that this braided hose/wire(highlighted in red) got sucked into the belt area and got eaten through. Car broke down in the middle of the street and had to push it home. My question is can this wire be replaced individually or is it part of the whole fan assembly?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
So luck has it that this braided hose/wire(highlighted in red) got sucked into the belt area and got eaten through. Car broke down in the middle of the street and had to push it home. My question is can this wire be replaced individually or is it part of the whole fan assembly?

You might be able to buy it on the internet if you know what it's called My boyfriend bought an engine part for me once...:smile

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Look it up on realoem

A mechanic I know has told me that I need to find a wrecked car to
Source the part as they don’t sell them separately from what I’m hearing. It’s the wire that plugs into the radiator fan. I have looked on realoem and i can’t find it. Any help?

·
Registered
519 Posts
You would have to replace entire harness on that side of car. Easier to go cut one out of a wreaked one, then Solder the wires back together. Or find the repair harness they make. Think it costs 2k. and is made of tiny unicorns.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You would have to replace entire harness on that side of car. Easier to go cut one out of a wreaked one, then Solder the wires back together. Or find the repair harness they make. Think it costs 2k. and is made of tiny unicorns.

That’s what I thought. I’m gunna have to repair the wire. Do you think that damage to this wire is what caused my car to break down? I checked on ISTA and I’m getting a whole bunch of smg codes

·
Registered
519 Posts
That’s what I thought. I’m gunna have to repair the wire. Do you think that damage to this wire is what caused my car to break down? I checked on ISTA and I’m getting a whole bunch of smg codes

I that wire bundle has power, ground and a data wire in it, so I’m sure it could specially if the data wire is grounded. But you might have blown some fuses too

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I that wire bundle has power, ground and a data wire in it, so I’m sure it could specially if the data wire is grounded. But you might have blown some fuses too

Have any idea what Guage this wire is? I see two thick wires bundled together inside. They are damaged in the middle of the wires so I’m thinking I need to cut two sections of the damaged area and replace with the same guage wire, but do not know the guage size?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have any idea what Guage this wire is? I see two thick wires bundled together inside. They are damaged in the middle of the wires so I’m thinking I need to cut two sections of the damaged area and replace with the same guage wire, but do not know the guage size?

TIS says red wire is 10mm and brown wire is 6mm2.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And all 3 wires,
2 thick wires(red & brown) and 1 thin yellow wire are all damaged.

·
Registered
519 Posts
So 10mm is 10 guage? And 16mm 16G?
I asked because I couldn’t find what the part was nor the specifications of the wires.

10 and 16ga. Will be easier to find. Every store has it. Plus most wire is made in China so it will be the same anyway. I would still go to wreaking yard and just have them cut out the harness from a donor car. Then you’ll have the original cloth wrap and such. But I’m ocd.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Have to ask when you are refering GA in wire sizes do you mean AWG wire size?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
No offense to OP, but if you're unfamiliar with wire gauge and AWG you probably want to have someone else do this. Those wires carry a lot of current and have a big fuse going straight into the battery if memory is correct. You want to unhook battery before messing with them, avoid any chance of a short, etc.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
No offense to OP, but if you're unfamiliar with wire gauge and AWG you probably want to have someone else do this. Those wires carry a lot of current and have a big fuse going straight into the battery if memory is correct. You want to unhook battery before messing with them, avoid any chance of a short, etc.

None taken.
Found a replacement one off a radiator someone was selling on eBay. Just going to cut off the damaged end and solder the replacement on. I’m not an expert on the technical side of things but do know to disconnect the battery before working on anything electrical. If there’s anything I’m missing before I go ahead and do that, anyone, feel free to chime
I’ve probably done 90% of everything on the e63 master diy thread. Thanks for everyone who contributes!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts