BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Bumping this thread as I have encountered these same issues over the past few days. Very scary downshifting, having the steering and brakes lock up while exiting the highway!

Having it checked out today. Seems like MAF is primary culprit?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Personally, if you are favouring the MAFs as being the culprit - you should pull some tests on them using the hidden menu option through the dashboard before spending a fair bit of £££ / $$$ ...

I never got to the root cause of the issue - I replaced the MAFs several time in that car and it would still occur...

I bought another car in 2014 and guess what? I still had the same issue every now and then... both cars had the MAFs replaced and the car I bought in 2014 had both the fuel pump and filter replaced in the summer of 2019 and it still happens occasionally...

It's almost as though there is a parasitic drain on the revs which causes the car to stall - for a while I was suspicious of the power steering - but discounted that as the car will stall whilst being driven in straight line.

I did mention it once to a tech and he suggested / intimated that the air con could be the rogue....

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good to know. Weird that this issue has repeatedly occurred as it is extremely unsafe.

What did the tech mention on the air con? How could that be causing the engine to stall while in motion?

·
Registered
01 Carbon/Silverstone Exhaust: Jedders-HJS high flow cats-resonator delete-Xpipe-Eisenman cans
2,547 Posts
Have you looked for engine fault codes? If MAFS check out OK on MAFS test I would check fuel trims and think about cleaning the idle control valve.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts