BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saturday just gone, on the return leg of a 400 mile round trip and coming up to a roundabout, approx 45 mph and changing down to 2nd from 3rd, all of a sudden the steering went solid, :)eek: WTF??) glanced down to see the lights on the dashboard alight as though the key was in position 2 without ignition being on.

Quickly turned the key back to position 0 and back to switch on ignition and continued turning left at the roundabout (whilst steering wheel is moving up and down because of the memory settings).

Any ideas ??? I'll get it checked out as I'm due Inspection 2 within a few weeks but it was just a little scary, no further symptons or problems though since. Without the power steering the car is a pig to try and turn as well as the brakes feeling a little strange to say the least. Thankfully I was part way in to the turn but had to fight to hold the car in the turn and the roundabout was clear as I was entering it. But another day, another time the circumstance could be different.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Im getting an occasional cutting out issue as well, not at the speed it happened to you. Mine seems to stall at low speed if ive been in 4th or 6 th and knock it out of gear to coast up to traffic or similar.

Initially i put it down to leaving it in 6th and going to slow.. then stalling her but im not so sure now.

Your right about the power steering and brakes.. its a bit scary when it all stops isnt it!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Mine does it as well. Been in 5th or 6th and come up to a stop, clutch in and it dies. Randomly about once a week.

·
Registered
168 Posts
M5DAL, Thats exactly what im getting!.. hopefully one of the site gods will know what the issue is..

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
Manx M5 said:
M5DAL, Thats exactly what im getting!.. hopefully one of the site gods will know what the issue is..
Don't know about stalling issue (vacuum leak?), but if engine dies, why go through on/off sequence with the key? Just pop the clutch back out (key stays in position #2) with the car in a gear (higher is better, less shock) and you should have instant on.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yeah you would think that would be the easy option wouldnt ya.. but i nearly went into a hedge on fri after work, coasting down the back road to my house she cut out going round some twisty corners, when the stearing goes hard its goes HARD.. had no choice but to slam the brakes on.. then restart!

Bump starting is all well and good when you have the space, or are on a straight road and dont have to turn the wheel!

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gsfent said:
Don't know about stalling issue (vacuum leak?), but if engine dies, why go through on/off sequence with the key? Just pop the clutch back out (key stays in position #2) with the car in a gear (higher is better, less shock) and you should have instant on.
Regards,
Jerry
Have to agree with Manx M5 on this, the last thing I really needed was to pop the clutch and find myself accelerating when I need to be braking and turning.

Bearing in mind in this instance I was dropping speed rapidly with a view to taking a 90 degree exit off of the roundabout.

·
Registered
12,870 Posts
SeeSure said:
Have to agree with Manx M5 on this, the last thing I really needed was to pop the clutch and find myself accelerating when I need to be braking and turning.

Bearing in mind in this instance I was dropping speed rapidly with a view to taking a 90 degree exit off of the roundabout.
Trust me, if you have ever popped the clutch, you won't be accelerating so hard as to cause a problem.. It just lights the engine immediately, all you have to do is gently press accelerator, or if that is too much, just clutch out again as soon as the engine lights. You have full control and it is quicker than the key sequence making it much safer since it immediately brings steering and power assist for brakes online allowing your to steer and brake sooner. However, to each his own! :cheers:
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
962 Posts
Had a similar experience twice. First time dealer couldn't find anything. Next time Mike Miller (tech editor of Roundel) suggested it was intermittent failure of fuel pump. Dealer confirmed, replaced pump and filter under warranty. All's good now.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had my car in today for various bits of warranty work (front discs, external temperature sensor, rear suspension rattle, handbrake) and non-warranty work (rear discs - ouch :grrrrr:).

Also had the same problem with the engine cutting out when slowing right down from motorway speed (usually from 5th/6th gear, down to third and clutch in coming to a stop). It's probably happened 20 or 30 times in six months since I bought the car in April. Annoying, a bit embarassing at times, but never too stressful.

I mentioned it to the BMW guys today and also the suggestion about the fuel pump. They checked it out and didn't find any problem with the pump, however they said they did find a faulty cam sensor which they believe would be the likely cause.

Got the car back now, so fingers crossed....

Simon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Update...

The BMW dealer said that the engine cutting out was due to a fauly exhaust sensor and they changed it. The problem kept happening however so the car went back in and they ran more tests. Eventually they concluded that the sensor on the other bank was faulty as well so they changed that also.

Surprise, surprise, the problem is still happening. It's cut out about 12 times in the past two months, usually when slowing down from motorway speed to a stop or near stop (slip road, etc). On one occasion it cut out when pulling into a filling station - the steering locked and I almost crashed into a pump! Not good... :sad1:

Personally I don't think the dealer has any idea what the problem really is.
Anybody had any experience with this or any ideas what it might be?

Simon.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
The usual suspects are:

Faulty MAF sensors
Faulty Ignition Coil

If the diagnostics are not showing anything and the dealer is telling you everything is OK, then most probably your MAF's are faulty.

The dealers usually check your MAF while stationary, which wont show actual air flow measurements at WOT.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Check the fuel pump relay. That was my problem on my 540 with similar experiences as those described above.

What's the update? Has the problem been resolved?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Sound to me like it's either the fuel pump or quite likely a vacuum leak. Had similar problem in the past when dealer replaced MAF's, did not tighten clamps properly. It took them two days to figure it out...
VancouverM said:
Check the fuel pump relay. That was my problem on my 540 with similar experiences as those described above.

What's the update? Has the problem been resolved?

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I had that happen to be once, and I replaced the fuel pump and hte problem has not come back. Check the resistence across the fuel pump terminals, and see if its high? as if it is, it may not be pumping hte correct amount of fuel. Also check MAFS..

DavidS has a procedure for testing to ensure that they are measuring correctly. Tools you will need for this are

MAFS (obvisouly)
Hairdryer
Multi-meter
Drawing pins (or something else to pierce the rubber to get access to the MAF connectors.
Rubber chicken

Okay.. so the rubber chicken is optional and serves no other purpose other than a small amount of comedic value.

msg "DavidS" and ask him about testing the voltages from your MAFS and im sure he will forward you the details ... I have them here somewhere, but dont have access to my proper email.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same problems with my 2001 E39 M5. Funnily enough I also had the same problem with last E39 M5 which I had about 3 years ago. Just wondering if you every resolved the problem? I do know that the MAFS sensors have been recently replaced by the previous owner, so I may ask to see if they have been clamped properly. Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated as it can be quite eventful when you lose power steering and brakes!!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Check your battery connections as well! Esp. after being at the dealer! Mine was doing the cutout thing into freeway sweepers and the fault was the dealer had left the battery connection on the battery terminal loose so if I hit a high g turn it lost electrical contact for a moment and the motor died! :grrrr: Easy repair though!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I am experiencing the same problems with my 2001 E39 M5. Funnily enough I also had the same problem with last E39 M5 which I had about 3 years ago. Just wondering if you every resolved the problem? I do know that the MAFS sensors have been recently replaced by the previous owner, so I may ask to see if they have been clamped properly. Any assistance in the matter would be greatly appreciated as it can be quite eventful when you lose power steering and brakes!!!
Thanks for posting and saving me from searching - mine did this today and scared the S**T out of me!:eek:h:

Any ideas anyone???????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Shanna

I know it's an old thread but I'm having the same problems with my E39 M5 stalling (funnily enough my last E39 M5 which I had about 3 yearsago also had the problem) I'm aware that the previous owner of my current car has had the fuel pump and filters replaced and the MAF sensors but I've still got the problem. Did the replacemet of the faulty cam sensor resolve the problem? Also did the faulty cam sensor show up with a fault code?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts