BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the dang thing works but the NAV interface SUCKS. No NAV while using it? WTF? I also get a bunch of gobbledygook most of the time on the display, and the scrolling is jerky, and changes font size from small to BIG to small. Most of the time the words spell nothing, then correct themselves. I also could not figure out how to get into the setup screen using the >> fast forward button and as there were minimal to NO directions included for the NAV enabled M5 specifically.

Has anyone else had these symptoms?

All in all I must say I find it hard to believe this is a finished product and that Dension would sell it!

·
Registered
262 Posts
i friend of mine with an E46 M3 is complaining about it over on m3forum.com. seems several people who bought are not very happy with it. the consensus seems to be that IceLink does not work well with NAV equipped cars.

-joe

·
Registered
512 Posts
Guys,

I recently installed my icelink in my 02 with DSP. I too did not like the Nav interface... it completely takes over the screen. As a result, I disabled the Nav display and switched it to display the information on the OBC screen below the speedo and tach. It takes that over also, but I can live without seeing my MPG and what not. You can activate the clock, but it only remains on that for a second, and then the icelink takes over. I've found that using this screen is a good compromise to have the song information displayed.

Things brings me to another point, that is, I may want to disable the song information display all together (from both the Nav and the OBC). I know pretty much every song that I have on my iPod anyway, and its always on shuffle.

The software to enable the different displays is available on the dension website. Its a bit convulted but basically, you download a "song" to your iPod and then play it while it is attached to the car. By playing the Nav or OBC enable "song" you activate the Nav display. By playing the disable song you disable all the displays.

Sorry for the long post, if you have any other questions, let me know.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am running it w/o the display too as I know all the songs but isn't the NAV display the reason why we bought the **** iceLink in the 1st place?

·
Registered
512 Posts
ALEV8 said:
I am running it w/o the display too as I know all the songs but isn't the NAV display the reason why we bought the **** iceLink in the 1st place?
Agreed, I would love for them to figure out how we can have the Nav display without having it take over the entire screen. Something along the lines of having it display the song information for 5-10 seconds at the begining of each song would work for me.

At this point, I'm just happy that I can control the iPod with my steering wheel and radio controls.

Another thing, do you ever switch from iPod mode to radio without any input? This has happened to me at least 5 times where I'll be listening to a song from the iPod and all of the sudden my radio is playing... strange.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
Another thing, do you ever switch from iPod mode to radio without any input? This has happened to me at least 5 times where I'll be listening to a song from the iPod and all of the sudden my radio is playing... strange.
This is the problem I'm having. I installed mine last week, and I enabled OBC display only so that I could use the NAV, but at random times the radio does come on, and I have to turn the stereo off and on and then re-select CDC to get it to come one. Are there any firmware updates available that might help? I didn't see anything on their website. Besides this, I'm happy with it. I had an FM modulator in my old car, and this sounds a lot better!

·
Registered
512 Posts
03BeastCharmer said:
This is the problem I'm having. I installed mine last week, and I enabled OBC display only so that I could use the NAV, but at random times the radio does come on, and I have to turn the stereo off and on and then re-select CDC to get it to come one. Are there any firmware updates available that might help? I didn't see anything on their website. Besides this, I'm happy with it. I had an FM modulator in my old car, and this sounds a lot better!
I'm not aware of any fixes for this problem. In fact, Dension may not even be aware of this problem. Perhaps a Dension rep can comment. I beleive there was a board member that is affiliated with Dension... I think his name was Tom.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I got mine to use in my E46 M3 with NAV and read of many common problems with NAV equipped cars. They were well aware of them and Dension was working on fixes for them. I'm sure they are aware of E39 related issues as well.

They didn't bother me since I used Apple UI mode only as I don't want to have to use playlists to listen to music in an easy fashion on my 60gig iPod. I'm sure they'll resolve the issues, but it's probably go to take time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Today I switched to the OBC display. I also discussed the NAV display issues with Dension's support guys, and they are working on everything we're complaining about. The OBC display gets annoying, if you ask me, almost distracting you as you drive since the scrolling is so jerky.

I'm going back to NO TEXT setting. As the iPod is in the trunk and I know all the songs on it anyway, no biggie.

The setup sub-menu access problem was solved when I loaded the new iPod s/w and updater from Apple today.

I hope Dension just keeps improving the product and we're able to upgrade as we go........

·
Registered
531 Posts
Ag Surfer said:
I'm not aware of any fixes for this problem. In fact, Dension may not even be aware of this problem. Perhaps a Dension rep can comment. I beleive there was a board member that is affiliated with Dension... I think his name was Tom.
I believe it was @Tom or something like that and he hasn't posted in a few months. When I was researching the Ice>Link last month I was reading though all the threads, and noticed that he stopped posting.

Any word on the Nav display option of having the album cover that he hinted at with a picture?

I've also got my Ipod in the trunk, so I'm stuck with the Dension interface. I hope they have some updates soon.

My version is 2.05. In the material they mention firmware 2.05-2.07 and 2.B1. What versions is everyone else running, and should we be updating (and how)?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've got the same issues/complaints as you guys. I love listening to my iPod in the M5 - it sounds 100x better than the radio ever could. But there are a few things, which I posted to their online support, and have not yet received any response on :(

For some reason, if my iPod is totally discharged and I plug it in to the IceLink, it won't power up. I thought the cable was supposed to charge it while it was off...strange.

Another thing I'm not crazy about is sometimes the iPod powers off while it's idle for a few days. I have to open the trunk and manually turn it on before it will play. I was hoping the cable woudl do that for me. Plus, when this happens, it always starts at the very first song on the playlist, so I find myself listening to the same songs over and over again. Very annoying.

Last little thing that bugs me is how every space in a song or artist title is replaced with an underscore. Can't they just leave the spaces alone? It would look so much nicer on the OBD display.

I was hoping newer software would fix these issues...let's hope so.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts