BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got off my lazy rear and got to installing the iceLink in my M5. It's sat around for almost 4 months, d0h!

I used is a right side of center console style mout, so if you're trying to go inside the center console, this will not be as useful.

I am using a Pro-Fit VSM which I purchased from www.bavauto.com. I chose this cable instead of the ProClip adaptor Dension sells because it mounts to the right of the radio as oppose to the right of the climate controls.

I think this is a much better viewing angle, and it is not in the way of the passengers legs.

1) Remove the 3 plastic locking fasteners that hold the CD Changer/NAV player cover in place
2) Remove the 1 plastic locking fastener to the top right of the NAV player
3) Remove the trunk floor trim panel and the removable center tray
4) Remove the 2 visible bolts holder the forward trunk floor trim panel
5) Lift up the left and right trunk floor trim panels to access 2 bolts that hold the forward trunk floor trim panel. Remove these 2 bolts
6) Pull the driver side trunk trim panel away from the driver side of the car so you can see towards the seats (you will need to yank it over the cargo next fastening loop on the trunk floor
7) Route the iceLink cable to the front of this trim panel, and out at the front corner.

8) Remove the rear lower seat cushion by pulling firmly towards the headliner. Pull forward.
9) Slide the iceLink cable between the driver fold down rear seat and the edge of the forward trunk

10) Re-assemble the trunk trim panels, you are done back there. The above picture is what the cable should look like coming through. The extreme forward driver side corner of the trunk trim panel will sit slightly higher then the rest of the floor because of the cable. I tried to find a way to squeeze the cable out so it wasn't like this, but I would have had to yank/pull on too many trim pieces, or remove them all together. I found this to be perfectly acceptable
11) Route the icelink cable across the rear seat carriage to the passanger side
12) Tuck the cable down around the passenger side door trim and do this all the way up to the front part of the car and the passenger side footwell
13) Beneath the glove box, directly above the top of the passenger side footwell plastic trim panel is a wide enough opening to slide the iceLink cable through. This pops it into the glove box. Open the gloves box to see it and crab it. Slide the cable to the left so it sits inside the tray underneath the glove box.
14) Connector the iceLink harness cradle to the iceLink adaptor and to the cable from the trunk. Let it side inside this tray.

15) Route the iceLink cable inbetween the trim pieces

16) Route the cable up inbetween the trim pieces for the left side of the passenger area and the center console. I used a needle nose pliers to push it in
17) Yank off the passenger side trim pieces. Remove the 1 screw to the top right of the NAV and mount the Pro-Fit Bracket. Re-install trim piece
18) Mount the iceLink cradle base to the bracket, secure the cradle, and enjoy!

All I need now is a black iPod. But since my 60gig photo was free, I won't complain.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Great install. Can the playlist be seen on the NAV screen?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chuckc said:
Great install. Can the playlist be seen on the NAV screen?
NAV screen displays basic ID3 test info. Artistst and Song.

The NAV also gives you access to the menu system, the same system you would normally have to view on the iPod and use the Track Up/Track Down buttons. But when you enable text mode, the pressing 6 puts you into the menu, and using the right NAV knob scrolls the menu. Then you use FF to select (hopefully they'll make it work with a button press one day).

So, it's very similar to using UI Mode where you control the iPod with the iPod wheel:

Press 6 -> Scroll right NAV knob and select Artists, Albums, Playlists -> Press FF to select -> Scroll right NAV knob in new sub menu

The text display on the NAV when scrolling is decently fast, but if you are scrolling through a few hundred artists or albums, it's still much faster in UI Mode using the iPod control.

The NAV text for ID3 tag info jumps between a large and a small font, and it's REALLY slow to scroll (slower then RDS Info but a tad). Supposedly a fix is being worked on for both things.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
HDClown said:
NAV screen displays basic ID3 test info. Artistst and Song.

The NAV also gives you access to the menu system, the same system you would normally have to view on the iPod and use the Track Up/Track Down buttons. But when you enable text mode, the pressing 6 puts you into the menu, and using the right NAV knob scrolls the menu. Then you use FF to select (hopefully they'll make it work with a button press one day).

So, it's very similar to using UI Mode where you control the iPod with the iPod wheel:

Press 6 -> Scroll right NAV knob and select Artists, Albums, Playlists -> Press FF to select -> Scroll right NAV knob in new sub menu

The text display on the NAV when scrolling is decently fast, but if you are scrolling through a few hundred artists or albums, it's still much faster in UI Mode using the iPod control.

The NAV text for ID3 tag info jumps between a large and a small font, and it's REALLY slow to scroll (slower then RDS Info but a tad). Supposedly a fix is being worked on for both things.
Excellent feedback. Icelink seems to be much better than the Ipod adapter that you can get from BMW.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chuckc said:
Excellent feedback. Icelink seems to be much better than the Ipod adapter that you can get from BMW.
It is, but it has, and still does, have it share of issues. Since radio's are made by 3 differnt companies and there is different software among those units, it is hard to say if you will run into them. The biggest issue I emember reading about among M5 owners was the drop out to radio, where you'd be listening and then it would drop to rado. Dension says this is fixed in all but the most rare combinations of radios and software. I haven't used mine enough yet to know if I have it.

I personally chose to deal with the issues because nothing else is upgradeable and offers the features with a very seamless integration. Even if the features are still buggy, I'm willing to pay extra for a product that can be upgraded to fix, and add, and deal with a few quirks here and there.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Nice write up.

OT question: Noticed the layout of your NAV screen, what firmware version are you using?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cramer said:
Nice write up.

OT question: Noticed the layout of your NAV screen, what firmware version are you using?
V.25 on MKIII, running full screen mode.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forgot to note this after I posted, but I'm having serious alternator whine from the install and I'm 99% sure it's because the iceLink cable runs along the passenger side of the car and the rear seat along with the positive battery cable.

I did this in my E46 M3 with no problems, but with a smaller engine, and most likely a smaller alternator, I didn't have any noises.

I am going to re-locate the cable to the driver side this weekend and report back.

·
Registered
416 Posts
HDClown said:
Forgot to note this after I posted, but I'm having serious alternator whine from the install and I'm 99% sure it's because the iceLink cable runs along the passenger side of the car and the rear seat along with the positive battery cable.

I did this in my E46 M3 with no problems, but with a smaller engine, and most likely a smaller alternator, I didn't have any noises.

I am going to re-locate the cable to the driver side this weekend and report back.
Would be curious to know your results, as I've not yet buried my cable. Ipod has been in there for a couple months with the cable running down the middle of the car (yeah i know.... ghetto). Anyway I was planning on running down the passenger side, but if you find the whining is eliminated on the other side, then I'll do that instead.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Alternator whine is generally related to a bad ground somewhere. Make sure you have all the grounds tied into a good chassis ground, not some so-so spot with carpet or plastic in the middle.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
icsfsedod said:
Alternator whine is generally related to a bad ground somewhere. Make sure you have all the grounds tied into a good chassis ground, not some so-so spot with carpet or plastic in the middle.
The iPod using the ground from the factory CD Changer cable. I have not traced this back yet, but I'm doubtful this is the issue.

I followed Dension's instruction on removing and re-inserting the ground cable in the iceLink connector, but that had zero effect.

Alternator noise can easily be induiced by running input cables next to power cables. This is why any good car audio install routes these down different sides of the car.

I'll know my answer tomorrow!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Any news on the alternator whine?

I'm also considering this kit to integrate my ipod.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
JWGT2 said:
Any news on the alternator whine?

I'm also considering this kit to integrate my ipod.
Relocating to driver side did not help. Even manually grounding to a bolt on the chassis did not help. I am caling Dension today for some options. I am of the opinion that since I have no alternator whine in the CD Changer, I should have none via the iPod,as it uses ALL the same wiring and hookups. Something may be bad in my cable or cradle. I'm hoping Dension will send me a replacement.

A ground loop isolator would probably do the trick, but I'm trying to making that the last possible option.

At this point, I don't think it's an issue with the car, because others have done an iceLink with no atlernator whine in an E39 M5. Not every car is the same, so there's always the slim chance, but I'm still working on it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HDClown said:
Anybody know if this work is still ongoing? I take it that V22B2 is still the latest available for BMWs?

I am having a number of problems with my ice>Link Plus which almost works and have been hoping that a firmware or software upgarde might sort them out ...

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
///Porsche said:
Anybody know if this work is still ongoing? I take it that V22B2 is still the latest available for BMWs?

I am having a number of problems with my ice>Link Plus which almost works and have been hoping that a firmware or software upgarde might sort them out ...
As far as I know, V22B2 is still the newest. I get my up-to-date info on the iceLink firmware from e46fanatics in the Mobile forum since Dension USA folks are very active over there as it has the largest iceLink ownership of any BMW sites.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I bought the Icelink a couple weeks ago. Hooked it up and left it in the trunk to test the sound. I had the altinator whine too. I took it out and waiting to hear a fix for it before I wire it all up.

Nothing worse than altinator whine.

·
Registered
91 Posts
HDClown said:
I get my up-to-date info on the iceLink firmware from e46fanatics in the Mobile forum
Many thanks for the suggestion - I have spent the evening trawling through all the ice>Link related threads there (and now I have yet another BMW forum to read!)

Doesn't look good on the firmware upgrade front though - Dension seem to be saying that they won't be releasing any more. See http://install.dension.com/updateil2.html

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
///Porsche said:
Many thanks for the suggestion - I have spent the evening trawling through all the ice>Link related threads there (and now I have yet another BMW forum to read!)

Doesn't look good on the firmware upgrade front though - Dension seem to be saying that they won't be releasing any more. See http://install.dension.com/updateil2.html
http://install.dension.com/updateil2.html
Nope, that's not the case. They used to have a generic firmware that anyone could download off that site. It was so generic it was good for all models. All future updates are to the point that they are manufacturer specific. The 22B2 firmware for BMW's isn't something you want on your Audi/VW or Benz. That's why they have that site up.

They ask you to contact them directly, or a reseller to get your car specific updates.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alternator Whine!

I was about to buy an Iceling and now this.

Are people running it without whine>

Is there a pattern?

Eric
Dallas

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have no alternator whine. Not sure why some people are getting it. I have mine installed with the cradle where the CD changer used to be, in the trunk, and it had been running well.

A few days ago, however, it stopped working. I think it might be necessary to reset the Ipod, otherwise I will contact Dension. Before this, though, it was working quite well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts