BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many posts from tne past dicussing a seemingly long lsit of bugs related to the IceLink Plus.

Can anyone address the current status of the product? I have a 2002 M5 with NAV and DSP.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
366 Posts
My '03 NAV display is not any better than it was, and I've seen no updates beyond what s/w I am running.
Get the iceLink for iPod use, not the display "cool factor", in fact save yourself the disappointment and install the iPod in your cabin as the UI SUCKS.
In my opinion the displays, both NAV and non-nav, bite the big one. Dension should have something spectacular up their sleeve if they want people to keep buying. I wish someone would give them competition.

·
Registered
298 Posts
It works fine as an adapter for the Ipod, although I agree with ALEV8, mount it where you can reach it because the UI and the display are both worthless. It sounds as good as an MP3 on the stock M5 stereo can sound though which is pretty decent (I don't claim to be an audiophile so no flames please). Most of the time with mine, I pull it out of the cradle, find the album I want to listen to get it playing and then plug it back in, it works just fine like that. It was worth the $$ IMO.

·
Registered
512 Posts
+1 for the above comments. I would also like to add that it still jumps to FM from time to time.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I diasagree with most of the negatives. I have mine set to display the songs on the dash instead of nav and I treat the ipod like a 6 disc changer. I have 5 playlist that I maintain in iItunes... load it up on the ipod... hook it up in the trunk! done. I've never had any issue with the FM switching and I think it sounds great. (especially after I added the SUBS!!!) Anyway, it may not be perfect, but I like it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
nsxer said:
I diasagree with most of the negatives. I have mine set to display the songs on the dash instead of nav and I treat the ipod like a 6 disc changer. I have 5 playlist that I maintain in iItunes... load it up on the ipod... hook it up in the trunk! done. I've never had any issue with the FM switching and I think it sounds great. (especially after I added the SUBS!!!) Anyway, it may not be perfect, but I like it.
I like it too, but the problem I have with using it like that (5 playlists, the 6th is the iPod menu) is that I have over 3,000 songs on my iPod. It's kind of hard to make up useful playlists with that much music to choose from. I don't really want to have to make up new playlists every day before I get into the car so that I can easily acess music that I might want to listen to. It would really be nice if they could have provided an Album browser for instance that let's you select an entire album, or band as you can on the iPod UI.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the my Icelink plus, I think they could have done a better job with the user interface though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I too am very interested
first I got to get my DSP fixed

however when hooking the dac there is this 12V wire I believe it hooks to the white wire on the amp wiring harness

but what is the best way to do this do you just coil both wires and slide back into the plastic lead????

Im a little concerened doing this after I get the new dsp amp

the rest of the connection seems simple well with exception once the battery is back up do I need activation codes???

The BMW dealer wont talk to me if its aftermarket stuff

2001 Beast nav with dsp

·
Registered
9 Posts
Check out the new 2.B2 firmware. It adds the ability to browse albums and artists while using the right knob on the nav to navigate faster. Also improves the Ibus connectivity so less FM switching. It has not happened to me since I upgraded (3 days and counting) and it was fairly frequent with 2.B1. Just email Dension support and ask for the new firmware file and they should email to you within 30 minutes.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ramsteiner said:
Check out the new 2.B2 firmware. It adds the ability to browse albums and artists while using the right knob on the nav to navigate faster. Also improves the Ibus connectivity so less FM switching. It has not happened to me since I upgraded (3 days and counting) and it was fairly frequent with 2.B1. Just email Dension support and ask for the new firmware file and they should email to you within 30 minutes.
Is that in Apple UI mode or Dension UI mode?

A guy I know got an Alpine in-dash CD player with iPod support. He said it offers full control of the iPod through the CD player, basically scrolling through menus and all AND ID3 support. Dension has frequently said that there is a limitation in the iPod that means you cannot use their UI mode to get NAV display and get full steering wheel/radio functionality, or you can't use Apple UI mode and get ID3 display, but apparently Alpine found a way? Seems weird.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ramsteiner said:
Could you please post a few pictures of the NAV display scrolling albums/artists? I know it's a pain but I'm sure many of us considering this would appreciate it.

Too bad the Dension website doesn't have more photos.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have not used Nav display. All of my info is routed to the OBC as that is my preference. You can use the right Nav dial to navigate through the menus. If you have 150 albums to scroll through it helps. Personally, I find playlists on buttons 1-5 to be ideal. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Ramsteiner said:
I have not used Nav display. All of my info is routed to the OBC as that is my preference. You can use the right Nav dial to navigate through the menus. If you have 150 albums to scroll through it helps. Personally, I find playlists on buttons 1-5 to be ideal. Hope that helps.
In what mode? Apple or Dension? If you don't understand that, in the mode where you can use the right NAV dial, can you also use the controls on the iPod itself, or no?

And does that scrolling show up on the iPod's display, or on the OBC/NAV?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I think the FM switching is mostly an issue for those that don't have the DAC (ie - use the 2 connectors, and not the cable). Mine still jumps to FM at least once a day on a 15 minute communtegrrrrrrr . I still think it's the best option available for the price. Some competition would be nice though. I use mine in Dension mode as my Ipod is mounted in the trunk where my changer used to be, so manually changing albums is not feasible.

I'll have to check my firmware and see if an upgrade changes anything.

·
Registered
262 Posts
* right nav button to scroll thru menu
* '>' (FF button) to select

i think it went something like this...
1) press CD#6 to access the ipod. watch your ipod screen. you should see the dension UI.
2) use right nav button and scroll to 'setup'. (this took a lot of walking back and forth for me as my ipod is in the trunk.)
3) hold '>' for a couple seconds to select 'setup'.
4) scroll down to 'Text Selection' (or something like that)
5) select 'Text Selection'.

by this time you should see text on your nav. things like the id3 tags or the dension ui if your on CD#6. the text is only on the top portion of your nav though, so all you see is one liners.

i haven't driven my car for awhile after i uploaded this firmware so i can't say how realible it is.

-joe

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.