BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow!...

I bought my Ipod about 6 months ago and have been listing mostly in my car via DLO TransPod Mobile FM Transmitter
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6285423&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33100050027&id=1072287118476

BMW does not have the greatest FM antenna by any industry standards. So, it gave me less than satisfactory music quility....

Well, I heard about Ice Link form the Board and heard mix reviews on it... I finally had the curage to get the kit and had it installed by Best Buy...

Two initial finidings...

You do not need the DSP module if you have the six pin connecter going to the CD Player...

You will not regret the money you spend on the module... its worth every penny... The qaility is just great...

I never thougth my M audio would sound so much better... but it sure does with a nice interface every ipod/BMW owner must have...

Bobby...

02 Beast...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do you have NAV ? Do you get the song title and artist information on the screen ?

I had an Ice-link plus in my 330xi and removed it before I sold it. I was planning on using it in the M5 but was told by dension I needed the DSP adapter and new cables ( another $200+ ) in order to make it work. I opted to just hook it up to the Aux in. Now if I could just get a different cable.....

Tom

M5ABI said:
Wow!...

I bought my Ipod about 6 months ago and have been listing mostly in my car via DLO TransPod Mobile FM Transmitter
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6285423&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat33100050027&id=1072287118476

BMW does not have the greatest FM antenna by any industry standards. So, it gave me less than satisfactory music quility....

Well, I heard about Ice Link form the Board and heard mix reviews on it... I finally had the curage to get the kit and had it installed by Best Buy...

Two initial finidings...

You do not need the DSP module if you have the six pin connecter going to the CD Player...

You will not regret the money you spend on the module... its worth every penny... The qaility is just great...

I never thougth my M audio would sound so much better... but it sure does with a nice interface every ipod/BMW owner must have...

Bobby...

02 Beast...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom,

I'm not sure how long of a cable do you have but assuming you have a short calbe you have two options...

1. you need the Trunk kit (long cable) from CD Connection in the Trunk to The front if you want the IPOD to be in the front....

2. if you don't mind keeping the ipod in the back, I'd keep the current cable and simply leave my ipod in the back with a short cable...

Some verifications prior to install...

Check the connection going to your CD player to make sure that it works with your current kit...

I had 3 connections on the back of my OEM CD-Chnager...
a. 3 pin (Power)
b. 6 pin (sound/control)
c. coax (not connected)

according to Dension if there are two types of DSP connection combinations that I could possibly have: either a&b or a&c...

Well I had a&b there fore i did not have to use the DSP Kit... (i should have checked prior to ordering... :()

I did order the trunk DSP kit though and have DSP convertor for sale if you like since I don't need it...

But it all comes down to is that if you don't mind keeping the ipod in the back with a smaller cable...

if you like to keep the ipod in the front and don't have a long cable... you will be out of ~$200 but worth every penny of it...

hope this helps...
B.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Thanks.... I'll check my CD unit tonight. My ice-link had the radio head-end
cable that attached to the back of the head unit so I doubt I'll be able
to use the cable I have. However, if my CD unit has the right setup, I'll
probably order a new cable.

I don't mind the ipod being in the trunk. In fact, I don't like the idea of
it being visible. However, I do need to be able to see the song/artist on
the nav so I can change playlists etc using the steering wheel controls.

I assume this works for you , correct ?

Tom

M5ABI said:
Tom,

I'm not sure how long of a cable do you have but assuming you have a short calbe you have two options...

1. you need the Trunk kit (long cable) from CD Connection in the Trunk to The front if you want the IPOD to be in the front....

2. if you don't mind keeping the ipod in the back, I'd keep the current cable and simply leave my ipod in the back with a short cable...

Some verifications prior to install...

Check the connection going to your CD player to make sure that it works with your current kit...

I had 3 connections on the back of my OEM CD-Chnager...
a. 3 pin (Power)
b. 6 pin (sound/control)
c. coax (not connected)

according to Dension if there are two types of DSP connection combinations that I could possibly have: either a&b or a&c...

Well I had a&b there fore i did not have to use the DSP Kit... (i should have checked prior to ordering... :()

I did order the trunk DSP kit though and have DSP convertor for sale if you like since I don't need it...

But it all comes down to is that if you don't mind keeping the ipod in the back with a smaller cable...

if you like to keep the ipod in the front and don't have a long cable... you will be out of ~$200 but worth every penny of it...

hope this helps...
B.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It works just fine for me... There are acutlly there places you can see the song info... OBC, IPOD and Naviagtion screen. I just spoke with a tech at dension and he e-mailed me a file that clears the OBC setting i did by accident. If you play this and put the ipod on cradle while this is playing... it will switch the text off and you can then select CD 3 to show text on the nav unit..

tbalon said:
Thanks.... I'll check my CD unit tonight. My ice-link had the radio head-end
cable that attached to the back of the head unit so I doubt I'll be able
to use the cable I have. However, if my CD unit has the right setup, I'll
probably order a new cable.

I don't mind the ipod being in the trunk. In fact, I don't like the idea of
it being visible. However, I do need to be able to see the song/artist on
the nav so I can change playlists etc using the steering wheel controls.

I assume this works for you , correct ?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I would caution using the Nav Screen to display artist/song, because it makes it almost impossible to use the Nav when it's playing. The instrument cluster OBC setting is less of a hassle since most of that info is avalable through the Nav system.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'd like to see this as well... Because I just tested yesterday and found the info button to be the only place I could see the track information. I did not see it on the GPS screen. And I rather not since it will most likely interfere with directions if i'm using GPS.
pkarmouche said:
Could you post a couple of pics showing song info displaying on the Nav?

Thanks,

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts